Author: Subject: Villian names
FantasyFreak
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos is Thicker than Blood

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 07:32 PM
Villian names

I've had to expand my series a great deal and in doing so... it requires an arch foe. (oh god, how pathetic and cliche does that sound? It's a fantasy series so of course I need a bad guy that tries to kill the heroes every day. *rolls eyes*) But, no really. I already have three bad guys that I've been working on for quite some time and one of them had been the main bad guy for the series. But I need for somebody to get killed at the end of book one so it can wrap up nicely so publishers will want to publish it.

The names for my other villians are Sarlic, Akemi, and Hotaka. At the moment I'm using the name "Tiernan" for my main bad guy simply because I have no other villians stored away in character files.

Have any ideas of a better villian name? What do you think would make a really scary villian?

Sorry that's not a lot of detail but I want to see what you come up with without knowing what my novel is about just to see what I get. Sometimes I tend to get better ideas out of people that know nothing of what I'm writing.
Itzika
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 09:12 PM

I look at "Sarlic" and can't help thinking "that's one letter away from 'Garlic'... Is he a vampire?" I'm a very strange person... Um... *helpful mode* Are they all from the same country? Because two out of three villains' names seem to use the Japanese phonetic system, so I would suggest using a site like this one:

http://www.englishjapaneseonlinedictionary.com/

and plugging in appropriately villainous words (evil, dark, etc.--or base it off his powers) until you come up with a good name. I also think hard consonants work well for villains, so you could stick with Tiernan (start's with a "T" sound), but that's my impressions.

So you know, I looked it up and:

evil: akurei
dark: kurai
villain: akunin

If any of those work.

Sorry, evil is "aku" or "akuji"--"akurei" is "evil spirit."

[Edited on 17-7-2009 by Itzika]
moiety
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 09:52 PM

Here's a good name site. It not only has names by origin (like behindthename.com), but it also has "special categories", or names associated with certain themes (e.g. dark names, color names, celestial names). If you haven't run across it before, give it a look.

http://www.20000-names.com/special_categories.htm

@Itzika - It's funny when I read Sarlic I thought Sarlacc from Star Wars ::calling all nerds!:: XD
FantasyFreak
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos is Thicker than Blood

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 10:55 PM

Sarlic means pain in... some country... I found it in my Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook. < awesome book.

Also Rlic means mist in my made up language. Totaly coincidence but I took advantage of it *laugh*

Thanks guys! Yes, two of those names are Japanese. The story originally started out as a purely Japanese story but I turned that down simply because I didn't know enough and I didn't want to seem like an anime freak. But some of the names I still liked so I started giving them to bad guys and minor characters =D

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]