Author: Subject: Ripping an outline in two
FantasyFreak
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos is Thicker than Blood

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley02.gif posted on 7-16-2009 at 04:48 PM
Ripping an outline in two

So here we are half way through July and I realized that... my outline needed to be cut in two. That I had two plots going on and I needed to focus on one. So what was a three book series will not be a four book series. Now I will be working on filling in plotholes where the other plot use to be in this book while writing for JulNo!

Has anybody else had that happen to them? Any advice you could give me?
Itzika
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 06:02 PM

I had the opposite problem--I had two separate stories, one that I was already writing and one that came to me at the beginning of July; and I fused them. Since then I've added a third story and have been working very, very hard to make sure that everything spins together so finely that you cannot take out a single person's storyline without demolishing the others'. If you want to keep the story the way it was, see if there's a way you could do that--if you could make it essential that one person does this so that the other one can do that, or that the second has to go through their plotline so they can help the other one with theirs. If you want to take it apart, I have... no experience with that. I would honestly say write it together right now and edit it apart later. I think of JulNo as a thirty-one-day freewrite until you get a first draft done, though, so that might not be the advice you want to take.
FantasyFreak
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos is Thicker than Blood

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 07:21 PM

I only have seven chapters and already have 30k. My outline for book one only was suggesting I'd only be at chapter four in the events I have written so far... So this is going to be an epically long book regardless of what I do to it. I'm still going to use that plotline simply because it is important for the overall plot. But the plot for the first book does not require it so long as I make a few tweaks.

But thanks! What you said was helpful.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]