JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plot twists you weren't expecting?
Cherri
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Searching for words...
JulNoWriMo Title: Unsigned Letters

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 11:28 AM
Plot twists you weren't expecting?

Anyone?

Haven't seen this board on here yet, hoping it hasn't been done before. ;)

For me, mine went from the usual fantasy that I love to write to a kidnapping/mystery type thing with just one line.

'Just for something different, Warren was then grabbed from behind, dragged off to a warehouse and tied to a chair.'

No idea yet who's kidnapped him or why, but it's given me some good word count and the other characters have almost managed to find him already. ^-^

But this is what happens when I have a lack of plot. :D

"You people and your quaint little categories."
Chase
JulNo Member

Mood: Hopeful!

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 05:54 PM

Speaking of this, I was just "informed" that my MC is bi-curious and she wants to experiment with a waitress that hasn't been mentioned since I was about 4k into the novel.

So 45k-ish later, she's back at the diner, building up the courage to hit on said waitress, and the reader has no idea.

http://AsylumSpeak.webs.com

Ashley Vintage :: Stolen Moments
5 0 , 0 2 4 / 5 0 , 0 0 0
Corrupted_Apple
JulNo Writer

Mood: Wishing that there were more hours in the day to slack off in.

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 06:31 PM

Well, I was doing a sort of zombie apocalypse thing, but it begins with the main characters at a drunken party. But instead of discovering zombies, they ended up just wandering off and breaking into a house. Now it's about them trying to cover up the accidental death of the house owner. So, yeah. The complete plot overhaul could be seen as unexpected. ;)

Knowlege_Master
JulNo Writer

Mood: Holy crud there's no way I can do this.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Dragon-Slayer's Apprentice (working title)

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 10:04 PM

Yeah, Corrupted_Apple, that's unexpected. Just a bit. :P :D

My plot is getting off track, and starting to throw in characters that I'd never even thought of. Right now, that's the three kitchen equipment pieces, the "timers" that, somewhat scarily enough, resemble the fates. But much meaner. *sigh* Why the heck is my refrigerator sadistic, my oven a matchmaker, and my dishwasher about as cryptic as the sphinx? I had never even thought up these things before! Where did they come from?! And the home ec room was only supposed to be briefly mentioned. Great. I have not a clue where my characters go from here. But at least I'm adding word count. That's something. :)

\"The only hat worth wearing was the one you made for yourself, not the one you bought, not the one you were given. Your own hat, for your own head. Your own future, not someone else\'s.\" - Terry Pratchett, in A Hat Full of Sky

-----------------------------------------------------
Screnzy 09: WIN!
JulNo 09: WIN!
NaNo 09: WIN!
Screnzy 10: lost.
JulNo 10: ???
WaterVyper
JulNo Writer

Mood: Great! ^.^

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 03:11 AM

Well, there are the two MCs are in for a wild ride. The FMC's guardians (and there are a lot of them) decide that they don't want the two of them to be together. I had that planned.

However, FMC is starting to rediscover her feelings for a previous love interest who wasn't supposed to be in the story at all, except mentioned in passing. I didn't have a name for the ex, and had no idea how they broke up or who it even was until now.

WrittenWord
JulNo Member

Mood: Better than I was yesterday.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Questions of My Life

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 11:04 AM

I had known all along that one of my characters, Robin, had been sort of abandoned by his parents at the carnival. Then I was informed that he was in fact kidnapped by mobsters while his father worked with OCCB and when they caught up to the goons, they "couldn't remember" where they'd left him. His father happens to be one of the two detectives working the murder.

Because I was having trouble taking my plot in a linear direction, I'm kind of jumping around and doing scenes as they occur to me (there's no law that says I can't, I'll fit it together later), and the scene I'm in the middle of right now involves said detective and his wife going to the fair. I already knew that the wife (whose name is Minnea) was going to get a Tarot reading from my MC Catie, that the last card was going to involve snatching life from the jaws of death, and that Robin was going to almost get run over by a horse until his father (who doesn't realize he's his father) saves him at the last minute. When Minnea got a mental prodding from a "wispy old woman in the tawdry rags of a gypsy" to go to the fair, I figured, okay, Catie's grandmother is interfering, which is why Catie uses her grandmother's cards, and I kept writing. About a hundred words later, I looked back up and realized that from what I had written, Catie's grandmother...was also Minnea's aunt.

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E. L. Doctorow
"Talent is like a faucet. When it is open, we can write. Inspiration is a farce, invented by poets to give themselves importance." ~Jean Anouilh
lissiegirl1995
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: ready to write

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 11:09 AM

A character of mine that wasn't even supposed to come into the story, except as being mentioned by a wonderful (almost psychic seeming) kid. But he popped in *shrugs* now he won't leave. I can almost recenter the story on him he's been here so long. And this is after he was supposed to be the subject for some pointless dialogue... not so pointless anymore, huh?

\"Outside of a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside of a dog, it\'s too dark to read.\" -Groucho Marx
ZigZag
JulNo Writer

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 04:30 PM

The character I expected to just be an annoyance to my MC turned into a black-mailer and the primary driving force in my plot. Weird.

thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Motivated
JulNoWriMo Title: Three Stars

[*] posted on 7-21-2009 at 02:44 PM

Gah, my characters are just bothering me... I'm writing a fantasy novel and originally I had this runaway boy as my MC's lifelong friend, but he ended up as the missing prince of a neighboring kingdom and he's being horrible to my MC /and/ just got himself poisoned. Oh, and he's hinting at being the spy I thought was someone else. There's also this waitress like lady at this Inn they are staying at is the character I didn't expect to show up until most of the way through the book.... and I have to figure out how to get her to survive in this world because she's a woman and it's fantasy... and she is going to end up marrying my MC (well, I think that's what's going to happen) and all my characters are hinting that they are going to get killed at one point in the book. Ugh! And I just had an idea for a completely different story that is bothering me....

Bookish13
JulNo Writer

Mood: :]
JulNoWriMo Title: Digimon Guardians

[*] posted on 7-21-2009 at 03:10 PM

I didn't know how my characters were going to all meet, then they informed me that they were all going to race to the capital. It's nice, because it actually helps, but I was sorta expecting some more kidnapping before now. *sigh*
themoonasking
JulNo Writer

Mood: content

[*] posted on 7-21-2009 at 03:22 PM

My two MCs were supposed to have a slow-moving kind of romance that took awhile to get started, but they apparently can't keep their hands off each other, and after having known each other a total of four days, they are already hooking up. It's a problem

Also, the best friend of my male MC was just supposed to be a regular guy, nice best friend. Instead he's turned into this arsonist who is protesting the government, and all of his crimes are what's driving the plot in my novel. No idea that was going to happen.

Bookish13
JulNo Writer

Mood: :]
JulNoWriMo Title: Digimon Guardians

[*] posted on 7-24-2009 at 11:41 PM

And now my King's just abdicated to his "only" daughter, so not only is it invalid, but the world thinks it's correct. *fourletterword* Excuse me while I go slap around some of my characters.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]