JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What part of your novel gives you the most trouble?
BrandisherOfTheSpoon
JulNo Member

Mood: STOKED!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: I Eat Lunch With A Monster

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 11:35 PM

The hardest part of a novel for me is about the 4k to 10k word range... right after I have started my story and have thrown in all kinds of exciting action and the story typically has to slow down a bit. My strengths are probably action scenes (fights, chases, ship battles, riots...) and dialogue so trying to slow down is a tough for me. The first novel I wrote for Julno (I'm trying to finish two) I decide to just go with my heart and let the action dictate the novel which was okay since it was set all in one day. But my second novel takes place over months, which means I have to slow things down at places.
Squight
JulNo Writer

Mood: High on sugar, and ready to write!

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 06:37 PM

Character development. Good lord, it kills me every time. My characters REFUSE to be pegged down. I'm halfway through my novel and I feel like shaking my MC by the shoulders and yelling "WHO ARE YOU?" at her. She's shy most of the time, and then she speaks up or does incredibly brave things...

I actually don't have a problem with it. I sortof like her confusing like that. But sometimes I just stare at a scene and have to switch around character names until it makes sense who is saying what. XD

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes Qui Custodes Custodient?
[Who watches the Watcher who watches the Watchmen?]

No! Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for.
Aleare
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 07:23 AM

I have troubles fitting in "downtime" scenes, where the characters are talking and bonding and DEVELOPING without being interrupted by a villain/problem/fight/etc. (So I guess you could say I have issues slowing the pace down.)

I also fail at action/fighting scenes most of the time, because I'm just not sure how much to describe and how to describe it without getting repetitive. :P

lissiegirl1995
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: ready to write

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 11:38 AM

Characters and events come easy for me, like, super easy, I can have slow or fast, it all flows, albeit in a mishmash manner, in the general direction of the story. The hardest bit for me is wrapping up the story. I give myself 10k words to do that and go 1-3k over in order to correctly end the book. I hate ending books, I hate severing myself from my world and leaving it. :crying: SO i start a new book or a sequal right then and there and get day1's wordcount down! YAY! :D

\"Outside of a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside of a dog, it\'s too dark to read.\" -Groucho Marx
ZigZag
JulNo Writer

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 01:34 PM

I'm writing the reunion scene between my MC and her family right now. They haven't seen each other since my MC ran away eight years earlier. And no matter how I try it all is coming out stiff, stiff, stiff. I just can't get it right.

youngshay112
JulNo Writer

Mood: i\'m fine, how are you?
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled Romance

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 10:25 PM

I've having trouble selling the relationship between my MC and this guy. Since I kinda know them in my head, I know they love each other, but I can't explain it adequately to the reader. It might require more backstory than I can explain to the reader. Help!
lissiegirl1995
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: ready to write

[*] posted on 7-19-2009 at 03:50 PM

Gee... I'm having trouble getting my chars to actually rescue another char. 2k left and i haven't pulled off this rescue that has lasted 5k almost. Ugh! just go save him and get out of there!!!

\"Outside of a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside of a dog, it\'s too dark to read.\" -Groucho Marx
kuroiyuki
JulNo Member

Mood: Calm
JulNoWriMo Title: The Clan

[*] posted on 7-21-2009 at 06:43 PM

I have trouble in school scences and i'm trying to get a minor C in trouble so the MC has to rescue them. Not to mention the minor charachter is hated.

Reality calls but what can I do. I'm trapped here between these pages, forever fantasizing. Reality grows cold. Stale. But within these pages I shall live forever.

NaNo \'08: Fleelings 85,096
JulNo \'09: The Search 176,284
JulNo \'12: The Clan
ScooperDooper
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 02:33 AM

I struggle with creating a balance between narration and dialogue. I like the write straight narration and description, but realize the need for dialogue, but once I start with the dialogue, I tend to write too much of it! It's a neverending battle to find a happy medium.

I also have a problem writing sex scenes, I feel like they're always awkward, but it could just be me.

:)

...is a disenchanted bibliophile...

http://youngwomenwriters.today.com
Nightsong
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Meh (Should be writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Synth Spells

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 01:10 PM

I actually realized a new problem recently. It takes me quite a long time to start a new chapter, and that can break up even the best of writing streaks. That likley partly stems from my plethora of characters that I follow, but its a strang quirk I always had. Pretty much, if I can come up with something to say that starts the chapter off, I'm good. Finding that...

JulNo '12 - Synth Spells

I'm great at managing my time, I just don't have enough of it.
-Anwyn
Arella
JulNo Member

Mood: Goin' Crazy!!!

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 11:14 PM

My problem is that I've gotten up to Chapter Six planned out (but not written yet) and now I'm at a dead end. The worst part? I still have many, many chapters to go, and I am not even close to half-way to 50K words! :crying:

I am in a pickle. I know how I want the story to end, and I have a general idea of what I want to happen throughout the story. . . I just can't think of a worthy way of writing it all out in chapters! :angry: :crying:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]