Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hit with a sudden case of writers block... D:
SecretAgentV
JulNo Member

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 04:34 PM
Hit with a sudden case of writers block... D:

So I was doing pretty well with my word count. But now I've hit a bit of writers block, and I can feel myself falling into the trap of "Oh, I can always catch up next week, since I'll have nothing to do..." that I know so many wrimos fall into.

So, in a nutshell, my story is about two people who are stuck on a continent who's two countries are on the edge of war. My MC uncovered a plot to kill the kings. When she went report it, she was reported as wanted for treason. The other country believes she is a spy for the first country.
So her and her friend are trying to flee to country C.

I just got to the part where my MC went back to the castle, and her friend told her they had to leave, and explained the situation. Now... I don't know what to do. I've got a point A, a point B, and now I don't know what to put in between. Its like a peanut butter and jelly sammich without the peanut butter or jelly.

That, and I just have no modivation, no will or desire to write. Which makes me sad... : (

Chase
JulNo Member

Mood: Hopeful!

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 05:39 PM

Oh no! A PB&J with no PB or J? This is a travesty!

Maybe while they're fleeing to Country C, they can run into a new character. Someone who wants to help them, or someone who wants to hinder them. Or someone who wants to do both. Or one of them could have her shoes eaten by an armadillo.

I, too, am stuck in that dreadful writer's block phase, and I just friggin' started JulNo today. We'll get through it! :)

http://AsylumSpeak.webs.com

Ashley Vintage :: Stolen Moments
5 0 , 0 2 4 / 5 0 , 0 0 0
Itzika
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 03:06 PM

Maybe someone helps them sneak out of the castle because they're the one who's actually going to kill the king, and they want everyone who knows anything out of the way before they make a move...?

Maybe on their way out, the king really is killed, and so they have to get out while everyone is hyper-alert looking for them...?

Is this fantasy, or just historical?

Also: SPRINTS. If you're on LJ, there's a community for JulNo. My first-ever sprint, I got almost 2000 words written. I have a problem with sitting down to write for any length of time. These things are HELPFUL.
Nightsong
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Meh (Should be writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Synth Spells

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 03:11 PM

Okay, they are on their way. Random encounter time!

Be it a mysterious old man, a band of wandering players, or Neil Gaiman's default, flying pirates, make it something. These characters need something to carry them through to country C, and what they do while traveling with this other group will reveal a lot about the characters and give some chances to show off the world.

Or you could just jump to at the border of country C, do the border crossing (no doubt an eventful affair as they elude guards and other hindrances), and go on. You can come back and fill in everything later, but for now don't get bogged down with it.

So throw something at your characters to see how they respond. Or skip it altogether for now. Just keep writing.

JulNo '12 - Synth Spells

I'm great at managing my time, I just don't have enough of it.
-Anwyn
Calarenice
JulNo Member

Mood: In the mood for murder.

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 05:56 PM

Say when your character goes to report what she found someone could have overheard and followed - maybe someone from country C or is some kind of underground resistance person/informer guy - because a king getting killed is a big deal right? Country C would want some way of knowing what's going on without being too obvious direct. Then when your characters are freaking out he/she (a couple of them maybe) swoops in and saves them, taking them to somewhere for them to lay low and then make their escape via boat.

this is a signature

My blog - http://ephemeralwings.blogspot.com/

Oh. And here\'s a little story I\'m writing for fun and would love to get critiques/feedback - http://yearzerostory.wordpress.com/

Feel free to visit me on FictionPress too - http://www.fictionpress.com/u/576123/
youngshay112
JulNo Writer

Mood: i\'m fine, how are you?
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled Romance

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 10:19 AM

Write a random list of all the things that can happen to her on the way to country C
1)get arrested
2)be killed
3)fall for the prince/princess of the country
4)find money
5)find some magical tool (is this a magical story?)
6)get in an accident and disfigure her face
7)meet the king she saved from assassination
8)meet the political operative who wants her charged with treason (this would help. her antagonist might be a particular person in the gov't)
9)ask her parents for help

and go on and on. pick the thing on the list that makes you want to write the most and write from there. then pick the next best thing. whatever keeps the story moving the most towards your ending (death, your MC becomes the new queen, a romantic happily ever after, whatever), roll with it.
jade_lioness
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 08:06 AM

I think jail qould be a good idea, they could meet all sorts of interesting people. Now is time time for writers block, it always hits me somewhere between the tenth and the fifteenth - I'm 5,000 words behind and now forcing my self to work like crazy to catch up.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]