Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hard Copy of your JulNo
ViolaGrl19
JulNo Member

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 03:04 PM
Hard Copy of your JulNo

Has anyone decided that they just wanted a copy of their JulNo for themselves - not necessarily to publish - but to say "Look, I wrote a novel (50,000 words by definition) in a month and now it's on my shelf". If so, what sources did you go to? I know there are some sites that will publish your work for you. What are your experiences with the companies? Any better than others? Any insider tips?
VintageLegends
JulNo Member

Mood: Panicked

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 06:30 PM

I got a hard copy of my NaNoWriMo using the site they provided: https://www.createspace.com

I've managed to successfully get my hard copy (I loooove it), once I figured out all the printing dimensions and cover template and blah blah blah....

It was $6 for the proof copy (mine was free, that was the 'prize' for winning nanowrimo)

[Edited on 7-2-2009 by VintageLegends]

Like my icon/sig? I take custom orders, free for julnowrimo writers only! http://forum.julnowrimo.com/viewthread.php?tid=833
Dreamerscove
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: The Legend of Crazy Uncle George

Word Count: 6966 / 50000
Word Count Start14% Complete86% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 09:52 PM

One thing to watch out for with Createspace is that they automatically assign an ISBN number to anything printed, including proofs. If you want to be published later by a mainstream publishing company this may cause problems as it could be seen as your first publishing rights gone (I say *could*. This would also depend on the individual publishing company and/or agent). There is NO option to get a proof printed without it. Also, you can't delete your book or your account at Createspace without contacting their customer service people. A warning: they reserve the right to deny such requests. That's what they did with me. I asked them to delete the book I had uploaded (but didn't have printed. This was after not finding a way to put a gibberish title and other info in the ISBN area so my first rights would be completely protected.) and they said no. So I uploaded gibberish over the earlier file and demanded that my account be deleted. No word from them on that despite it being over a month and my account is still active. Suffice to say I'm furious at them.

However there are several other good options out there. The most popular is Lulu.com. I've used them myself and for me their method of file prep was much easier to use than Createspace. They also have the option to keep the printing of the book completely private and allow you to have it printed without an ISBN number. You keep complete control over your book. As an author that is something I really appreciate.

I'm sure others will follow with other good options, but the two above are the only ones I have personal experience with.

Dreamerscove
http://jamarlow.com

2012: 170k
2011: 57k
2010: 78k
2009: 123k
Brownthumb
JulNo Writer

Mood: Not winning JulNo

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 10:44 AM

I'd like to put in another good word for Lulu. Although I haven't used them personally, I've worked with the company, and I believe that they really are trying to do the right thing, not just make a quick buck and confuse people in the process.
Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-5-2009 at 12:32 PM

I've used both Lulu and CreateSpace and talked with an agent RE: the ISBN number. If you keep the book set to private so the ONLY copy is the one you've had, no one will have the ISBN to search and it's no different than printing it with your own printer in the eyes of agents / publication. But if it goes public at ALL, the ISBN / title can be picked up by search engines and that's when you lose the first publication rights. As long as it is 100% private, you have nothing to worry about in that regard. HOWEVER, if you print it through Lulu with no ISBN number and make it available to the public, you STILL lose those rights, ISBN number or not, it is still considered to be published. So, if you're worried about the first pub rights, keep it private, no matter which site you're using.

That said -- both companies print a very nice quality of book. I found Lulu to be slightly less user-friendly in terms of setting things up and getting them ready to go, BUT Lulu has a much better source of information / way to find out about all of the formatting things you need to know. Both books come out nicely [I'll share photos, if anyone is interested in comparing the two companies] and I would recommend either, depending on what your goal for the project is.

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
canislupis
JulNo Member

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 01:03 PM

I have also tried Lulu and CreateSpace. In my opinion, create space has a much more user-friendly way of putting everything together, and their help department will actually get back to you fairly quickly. :) With lulu you actually have to buy an isbn, which is a bit of a letdown if you are actually planning to publish. (CS does this for free)

I also think that with create space you end up with a more professional looking product, since you can use their templates, etc.

ON THE OTHER HAND,
The one thing I absolutely hate about create space is the way they can get away with charging so much.

Lulu takes (I believe) about ten percent of the profits, after the cost of the book. for one of my books, cs charged eight dollars out of a nine dollar book. (it cost six to make)

If you want a better royalty, you actually have to pay them. :rolleyes:

But I think I'm a bit off-topic.

If all you want is one hard copy, then I sugest blurb.com. It isn't for actual publishing, but basically you set up everything and buy one copy of it. They have a free software for formatting, etc. and it costs less.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]