JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Auto Summarizing Can Be Fun
Mad Red Queen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Banned (?) from the chat room. Need assitance and maybe an explanation!

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 06:09 PM
Auto Summarizing Can Be Fun

I forgot where I saw this little ice breaker, but the idea is that you choose the option in Microsoft Word to Auto Summarize around 5% of what you've written so far. I prefer to put this summary in another empty document, instead of highlighting the key points.

The point of doing this is to see what Word thought was most pertinent about what you've written so far, then if you feel up to it, posting it here. Maybe?

Here's my own:

" The incident that would take place this night happened just as Dawn was working at her computer. Bed was on her mind as she worked at the keyboard. Dawn never considered herself to be anyone of any real worth. It was in the search for proper and believable sounding excuses that Sorbet spent much of his time wasted on waiting for. "

[Edited on 7-1-2009 by Mad Red Queen]

Ah, don\'t worry about that- I assure you, my A.D.D peppiness and Miss Know-it-all Attitude will grow on you like mold!

http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html -- Putting the \"prod\" in productivity is satan\'s cruel way to punish you for not writing to his standards...

Aestua Nox
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: pretty optimistic
JulNoWriMo Title: Day of Silence / other projects

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 06:21 PM

Oh, yes, serious amusement value. :P Apparently Word doesn't handle dialogue so well; I fixed the open/close quote errors in the summary. Here it is:

"Hello.”

“Name’s Green,” he offered.

“Your name is green?" Damn. His eyes caught mine again – they glowed when he laughed. Damn, damn, damn.

"Your name is Green!” "What’s your last name?”

I ran for a little while longer. “It’s nice." “Rain check?”

Green laughed, full and free. “Goodbye, Mystery Everett.”

“I was getting worried,” called Dad as he wandered up the dirt road. A smile beat Dad’s big baby cheeks into submission, and his signature Cheshire grin spread across the width of his face. Damn those shorts. "Climbed a tree. Met Green. Ran around." “Right here, Dad,” I replied. “Surely your full name isn’t Everett Everett?”

I didn't realize I talked about names that much! It's kind of a fun way to break the tension between characters and stuff, but...getting crazy! Also didn't realize that Everett said "Damn" so much - although I'm pretty sure that Word included every single time she thought or said "Damn" within the course of seven pages, hahaha. Apparently profanity > plot?

Thanks for the fun!

Edit: For the record, her first name is Carrington, not Mystery or Everett! Hahaha. :)

[Edited on 7-1-2009 by Aestua Nox]

[Edited on 7-1-2009 by Aestua Nox]
Mad Red Queen
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 06:25 PM

Mine sounds pretty much nonsensical and bizarre when put in Word auto summarization. Not as bad as a few name descriptions and the word "damn". Lol, mine is going to need some cleaning up after this is all over... Yes, definitely some cleaning up...

[Edited on 7-1-2009 by Mad Red Queen]

Ah, don\'t worry about that- I assure you, my A.D.D peppiness and Miss Know-it-all Attitude will grow on you like mold!

http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html -- Putting the \"prod\" in productivity is satan\'s cruel way to punish you for not writing to his standards...

Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 06:29 PM

Then pressing it back to his ear, he asks, "So, did you just wake me for some idle chit chat, or do you actually have something you want to say to me?" "Ah. " Kim rolls his eyes as he hears papers shuffling at the other end of the line. He can feel every security guard's eyes on him as he pockets his notes and takes to the back stage area. Scribbling down the name, he makes a few notes of common features between the four: tye-dyed hair, dark make-up and accessorising with chunky plastic necklaces and leather wristbands. Then rolls his eyes to her retreating back, disappearing up the little walkway past the security guard --- who was staring quite hard at him through narrow eyes. Quivering hands sink into the hot folds of his pockets, and he tries to keep a straight face as he manouvers around intruments and heads toward the door.

At least the ending was appropriate for a summary. :rolleyes:

~ ♥ ~
Kateness
JulNo Writer

Mood: machine mode

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 06:31 PM

"Thank you, father,” said Noa.

“Come in, Noa,” he said when Noa knocked on the door.

“Good morning, father.”

Noa nodded.

“It is a trade, Noa."

“Of course there is, Noa."

“I wish to become a priest, father.”

“A priest?”

The man smiled.

“Noa.”

Noa thought for a moment.

Noa nodded.

One man, about Noa’s age, was within.

“Hello, Kaeth,” said the man.

“This is your new roommate, Noa."

Noa shook his head.

Noa didn’t.

Sha’ch smiled.

Sha’ch shook his head.

Now Noa saw no choice. “You, Noa."

Noa thought that was worse.

Noa still felt like himself.
WrittenWord
JulNo Member

Mood: Better than I was yesterday.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Questions of My Life

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 07:30 PM

Yeah, like a truck, thought the young woman in the gypsy scarf. Catie smiled at him. Catie hesitated. Robin nodded. Catie bit her lip, then sighed. “Okay, Robin." Robin nodded. Catie repeated the question as she shuffled the deck in a slow, easy movement. Robin jumped up excitedly.

Lawsy. Think I mention Catie enough?

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E. L. Doctorow
"Talent is like a faucet. When it is open, we can write. Inspiration is a farce, invented by poets to give themselves importance." ~Jean Anouilh
Aestua Nox
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: pretty optimistic
JulNoWriMo Title: Day of Silence / other projects

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 07:48 PM

Think I talk about names enough? Lol. And Kateness's is funny. :P I love how many "... , Noa." sentences there are.
Ravyn
JulNo Member

Mood: should be writing...

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 08:30 PM

lol. that's awesome. here's mine.

I walked to the training grounds, through the cold, dark tunnel, late for roll call-again.
The entire country thinks this place is a research center for "The Testing of Experimental Drugs." Ha. Escape was impossible. I found my mate, Devon, standing in line for roll call. Devon and I were apparently "lucky" enough to have survived the numerous rounds of testing thus far. I opened my mouth to reply, but he shook his head and fell silent as two whitecoats (our nickname for the scientists) walked towards us. I felt Devon tense beside me.
"You are Jacob, am I correct?" said the short scientist.
Morsus's hand shot out and grabbed Devon by the neck. The bald whitecoat quickly motioned to the guards standing nearby to capture Devon.
I yelled, leaping at Morsus, not seeing the guards come up behind me.

"Run! Jacob, get away! Run!"
A girl pushed me forward while over her shoulder I could hear the barking of angry dogs and the sounds of men's voices coming closer through a dark forest canopy, muffled by the trees and rain. "Jacob, just go! Now just run!" A shot rang out and Caitlin fell to the ground.

I ran, hot tears filling my eyes. "Caitlin! No!" "Jacob, run!" she murmured before going limp.
“Cait! Caitlin, please wake up!”
I yelled as two whitecoats grabbed me and hauled me away from her body. I shouted at the bald whitecoat.

[Edited on 7-2-2009 by Ravyn]
Trethsparr
JulNo Writer

Mood: Keepin' frosty.
JulNoWriMo Title: Last Half

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 08:43 PM

Dyana pounded down the path toward the immense library, momentarily allowing a renewed sense of excitement to galvanize her limbs toward movement. Again, the crowned Columbia mascot of Alma Mater, surrounded by an assortment of colorful mythological figures, beckoned the library visitors to enter, Dyana included.

Looking briefly to the help desk for assistance, Dyana approached the young man behind the computer console. “Has today’s tour group arrived yet? Leaning in, Dyana closed her eyes and took a small breath, inhaling the aged scent of the parchment before her.

“Blaine… Blaine! Wait—!“

“Forget it, Garret,” Blaine fired back angrily, scarcely turning his head to acknowledge the other man’s attempts to stop him. Garret paused in his movement, his close-set eyes fluttering nervously at Blaine’s retreating form.

After what seemed like a few long moments after the door closed, Dyana finally lifted herself back onto shaky knees. Dyana was suddenly afraid to find out the answers to these questions.

That all made almost zippo sense, lol. Pretty funny, though! I also use a lot of names, clearly. ;)

JulNo 2013 -- Plan C: 00,000 / 50, 000 words

--

JulNo 2009 -- Plan C: 50,009 words

Mad Red Queen
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 09:29 PM

This all reminds me of the Bunnies thing, where films are satirized by being condensed into a minute and by all the roles being played by bunnies.

LunaKlipps
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Ready to write!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Down

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 10:21 PM

I shivered upon stepping over the threshold. It seemed as if the house was enveloped in a haze. The house did not feel empty. Underneath, the dark ebony wood shone through. My heart beat rapidly as I neared the top, my stupid mind conjuring up fickle horrors that could be waiting for me at the top. I stepped closer to the wall and ran my fingers over the sides. I dropped to a crouch and ran my hand along the crease where wall met floor. My fingers drifted to the right corner and paused. Too dark, I thought.
Empty. I thought. I jumped a little in shock.

Umm, yeahhhh. That made almost no sense. XD

NaNoWriMo '08: Menda - EPIC FAIL - 3.344
JulNoWriMo '09: The Twin Gates - WIN! - 50k
NaNoWriMo '09: blink - WIN! - 50.077 - WIP
JulNoWriMo '10: Framed - Abandoned - 8.899
NaNoWriMo '10: Down - WIN! - 50.200 - WIP
JulNoEdMo '11: Down (Cont.) - WIP - Edit in Progress
Corrupted_Apple
JulNo Writer

Mood: Wishing that there were more hours in the day to slack off in.

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 10:47 PM

Mine sounds somewhat more suggestive than the original dialogue.
-------------------------
“Sir?” said the man.
Hume let him get partway behind his entourage before barking “Dr. Zioncheck!”
Wallace Zioncheck cringed, pivoting to face the larger man. “Yes?”
“Yes sir.”
“Your shirt, Dr. Zioncheck!” Hume’s voice rose with each word.
Hume gestured at his chest. Zioncheck swallowed.
“You weren’t too bad yourself, Professor,” laughed Zioncheck.
Hume clapped Zioncheck on the back.
“Oh, Professor Hume!”
Hume did.
Zioncheck beamed. “Yes, sir.”
------------------------
I'll leave what they were originally discussing open to interpretation.
carino
JulNo Member

Mood: jittery

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 10:51 PM

Annie Schaeffer is not having a good day. Annie sighs. "Annie, Annie!" "Annie, open up." Annie stares at the door in shock. Annie doesn't move.
"Annie!" "No, no!" screams Annie’s mother, and Annie can tell from the noises permeating her door that her mother is struggling against them. "Annie, come out and help me!”
Annie is shaking
Annie wonders how long she has left. Annie closes her eyes and leans back in her chair. Annie tries to remember what it is that makes people important, again. Besides, Annie’s not sure what she would go into. Annie things back to her list of people that are still accepted. Annie is neither.
Annie pulls out her pocket computer. Annie's heart pounds and she clicks on the link. Annie stares at the wall in shock. Annie is packing her bags. Slowly, almost reverently, Annie flips the page. The album reads like a memoir of Annie’s younger days. Something clicks in Annie’s mind and she slams the album shut.

Ouch. I swear, the real thing is better than that. Not so much repetition.

Corrupted Apple, yours is awesome. :D

[Edited on 2-7-2009 by carino]
oUbObCaT17
JulNo Member

Mood: exhausted

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 11:11 PM

I don't have enough words in my JulNo novel yet for this to be of any use so instead I used part of my NaNo novel with it. Needless to say, it was interesting and made no sense

------
Alex protested, tossing a stuffed animal Lisa's way. Now I couldn't tell if she could read the expression on my face, but Lisa smiled weakly & shrugged, almost as if to confirm her lack of answers to my unspoken questions.

Kat asked, sounding a bit concerned. Before I could answer however, Ethan & Derrick walked in. Ethan replied with a sigh. Ethan was poker faced as usual, Lisa was seething, and this made me even more confused.

I asked Alex & Kat, both of who sighed before Kat stood & walked away. Alex shook his head & then looked back at me. Livvie replied as Ethan walked out without a word.
"Easy there Lisa, this was not an easy decision for Ethan... you know that." "I don't care Kat!

Kat just shook her head, almost as if the poor girl thought she was going to be nuts by the end of today. This dance party was her idea, which I don't mind one bit. Sneaking off before Lisa catches me, I walk over and sit down. "Tired out a bit huh?" “Yea...”
Ethan shook his head, half-smiling, almost as if he expected that response.
"Hi Briana, it's Nicole."
"Briana, you're avoiding the inevitable.”
Ethan chuckles, apparently amused by my grumblings. Parking along the curb, I turn off the car and turn to Ethan.
"So where's Nicole?” Seth replied, walking down the hall to find Nicole. I sighed, shaking my head. Halfway home, Dani sleeping soundly in the back, Ethan turned to look out the window. I replied, a bit bitter. Ethan suggested, obviously wanting to get this talked out. Shrugging, I turned around just as the light was turning green and headed towards home.
Back at Lisa's place, Kat & Derrick were off talking in the kitchen, Livvie was starting to clean up, and once again, Lisa & Alex were at odds. Alex grumbled, wondering why it was any of Lisa's concern.

"I don't dance Lisa, you know this!” Alex replied, shrugging. Alex asked. Lisa replied, eliciting a chuckle from Alex.

Alex was shaking his head, still laughing at the previous statement Lisa made.

"Bri??" "It's nothing Ethan, let's just keep going.” “Hannah seems pretty nice.”

Briana shrugged and shook her head. "Nice try Ethan.” “What was it Briana?”
----------

See what I mean? How is anyone supposed to know what the heck is going on from that??

Quitting is for the uninspired...

"Angst: it's what's for dinner." - Crispini
Mad Red Queen
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 11:33 PM

Agreed with a staement before mine. Corrupted Apple's was awesome

And the new extension of my earlier summary:

By the time the good Doc could pencil his old lab rat to come back in Dawn was in a state of nervous distraction. It was the room which Dawn had begun to lovingly call the evil scientist lab less than a year ago that she always tended to meet the good Doc, as opposed to him greeting her in the waiting room. Dawn sighed. “Also... wait...”
Dawn wished she could have the luxury of his self control. “Huh, strange."

---
Word is out of its mind.

[Edited on 7-2-2009 by Mad Red Queen]

demonofthekeys
JulNo Member

Mood: crappy

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 12:00 AM

Why are your guys's so good? Here's my NaNo:

“Shannon, Shannon, Shannon,” he said. Shannon.”
Shannon frowned. Shannon nodded.
Shannon frowned.
Shannon frowned. “Shannon?” Shannon stopped. Shannon–
Shannon frowned. Shannon frowned. Shannon frowned. Shannon nodded.
Shannon shrugged. Shannon nodded. Shannon. Shannon stopped. Shannon shrugged. Shannon nodded. Shannon shrugged. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon shrugged.
Shannon nodded. Shannon smiled. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon shrugged. Shannon nodded. Shannon smiled.
Shannon nodded. Shannon stopped. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon shrugged.
Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. Shannon nodded. "Shannon."
Shannon nodded. Shannon smiled. Shannon's Room
Shannon nodded. “Shannon Finch.” Shannon smiled.
Shannon nodded.

XD Either something's broken, or I like repetition.

Current Novel: A Thousand Steps to Home
\"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.\"
—E.L. Doctorow
suppii
JulNo Writer

Mood: setting gears
JulNoWriMo Title: Beloved

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 12:37 AM

Satsuki caressed her slick black notebook fondly. “Class 66,” muttered Satsuki at her assigned class door. Lines of wireless colorful notebook attached on each small white desk, complete with equally small white chair. sound.

Satsuki stared blankly with wide eyes at little whirlwind which suddenly appeared on the screen turned out to be a bespectacled man in white lab coat. “Yo, children!” He waved. “Ck, ck, ck. Satsuki nonchalantly released all electrical cables that initially attached on her arm. Kotori blinked. Satsuki stared dumbfounded at the sparkling and excited Kotori. “BEAST?”

Satsuki nodded.

LOL. I'm laughing so hard on my chair when I read those XD

[Edited on 7-2-2009 by suppii]

-----------------------------------------------------

......I know I'm supposed to be writing, not procastinating......
Amythyst Jewel
JulNo Writer

Mood: happy!
JulNoWriMo Title: Head Quarters: Renegade

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 09:30 AM

“Tom! Marge stopped bellowing, and turned around to face her youngest son.
“Why are you so nervous, Kevin?”
“Nervous? Will’s grin widened. Kevin nodded resignedly. Kevin sighed, “Who isn’t nervous before his wedding?” Kevin stared after him.
“Tom!"
“Tom!"
“Tom!"
Tom rushed forward, and hastily opened the box.
"Joe?” Tom replied, squinting to read the cabbie’s nametag.
“All the time, people order taxis, and never show. Mayhap if I wait at the wedding, they’ll offer me some cake…”
“What’s up, Tom?”
Free Free Free.

(take note, none of those are my main charater... haha)

Corrupted_Apple
JulNo Writer

Mood: Wishing that there were more hours in the day to slack off in.

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 09:46 AM

@demonofthekeys: That is awesome. And the fact that it begins with someone repeating "Shannon" is even better.

@Amethyst Jewel: It seems like Marge has gone kind of insane, and just keeps shouting "Tom". Is your main character actually in that scene? Mine wasn't. If yours is, then that's a funny bit of luck.

These are all really funny. Of course I'm going to be addicted to doing this now, on everything stored on my computer. :D
Mad Red Queen
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 11:45 AM

I am literally nearly falling out of my chair... all of this is comedy gold, I swear! XDXDXDXDXDXD

burnttoast
JulNoWriMo Graphic Designer

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 12:12 PM

demonofthekeys: that's awesome, plus soulja boy was playing at the same time- it goes to it really well :P

Figures.
Once again I headed for the building, though no services attempted to stop me this time.
One familiar voice said. You messed up, Tristan.’ ‘Look, Tristan.’ I groaned as my head pounded. I heard from behind the door.
Was I supposed to speak first? I nodded.
I shook my head then grinned back at him. Stoppard rubbed his stubbly chin. ‘Super Beings.’ Tristan added, and Stoppard gave him a stern look.
‘Yeah.’ Stoppard said. Tristan said reassuringly.
My expression must have altered because Stoppard spoke again.
Tristan nodded.
‘Goodbye, until next time, Georgie.’ Then Tristan broke the silence.
Walking over to the nearest one, Tristan pushed up the door and beckoned my inside. I headed for the passenger seat and climbed in, another question arose. ‘You can thank Stoppard for that.’ Tristan kept his eyes on the road. I looked to Tristan and said, ‘thanks.’

Weird... It's the first time Ive done this, although it's good to know that at word likes my main guy...

[Edited on 2/7/2009 by burnttoast]

Sophi
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Alexander's Children

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 03:29 PM

Corrupted Apple's is the best XD

Damn.
Stinking cesspit cracked excuses for angels…
“If anything, harder, my dear. What fools the angels be.

Pox rot the angels, in any case. “It’s my head.”
That stopped with the angels, though. Elena still had her eye on him, with single minded focus. Not a word out of place.
“Stuff?”
“Stuff? Th’ angels.”
“What about the angels?”
“Th’… th’ angels d’nt like p’pl much…”
“Are the angels not alive?”
The mud girl shrugged. “Any angels in your thoughts?”
Elena stiffened. The girl’s gaze slid to her slowly, wobbling a little bit.

Just...wut? Why do I have so many angels? The mud girl is right...angels in everyone's thoughts :P

NaNo 08--"Blood Queen" (Won)

JulNo 09--"Angel's Cry" (Won)

NaNo 09--"Poor Devils" (Won)

JulNo 10--It had no name and was deeply painful. (Won by the skin of my teeth. Rest in peace.)

NaNo 10--"Chick Magnet" (lots of lesbians. Won.)

Julno 11--"Alexander's House" (Won.)

NaNo 11--"A Questionable Affair"

NaNo 12--"Alexander's House" (again. Won.)

JulNo 13--"Alexander's House: continued" (I'm basically just using these to continue this monster at this point.)
blackmagicxo
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: luv hs gang 4eva ; ♥

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 04:02 PM

Luckily the walk to school was only about 3 minutes up the road from my favorite coffee shop, so I could stop in and get my coffee every morning on the way to school. I trudged down the sidewalk – coffee in hand. Ugh. High school how I hate it.

Especially Monday mornings. Who needs math? “Math, why?” I skip math class quite a lot. “Fine. Zach nodded. Clothes, makeup, hairbrush, toothbrush. I sighed.

------

o.O Well then .. The first part kinda makes sense, but the second part, not so much xP
Squight
JulNo Writer

Mood: High on sugar, and ready to write!

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 04:46 PM

Summary of my prologue:

-The boy looked up from his toy soldiers, hearing the clash of metal on metal. -Three more soldiers appeared, and the king took a step backwards, his eyes narrowing.
-"Miss Turner, please step aside," one of the soldiers said.
-The soldier held his sword to the girl's neck.
-The king was dead. Long live the king. The boy couldn't die as well, not now.

Chapter one:

Of course, there were lots of books in a library, but this book was special.
Emma moved closer, intrigued.
The librarian sniffed.
Emma watched the boy through the library window.
The blue-haired boy was moving slowly, discouraged.
Eric smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling.
Eric reached out for the book.
"Why do you want this book anyway?" Emma asked.
"Um," Eric said eloquently.

D= Not as funny as other peoples', alackaday. And yes, one of my characters always talks in blue. >.>

[Edited on 7/2/09 by Squight]

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes Qui Custodes Custodient?
[Who watches the Watcher who watches the Watchmen?]

No! Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for.
Larchyk
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 06:22 PM

“Ben! “Al?” Al’s eyes narrowed. Al laughed. Al shrugged. Al snorted. Al asked.
“Look,” Al said. “Renan?” “Right,” Al said. Al spoke up. Al said loudly. Semylle smiled. Ben questioned.
Ben smiled. Ben asked.
Ben nodded. Ben nodded. Ben sighed. Ben laughed.
Ben frowned. “Come on, Al. “Semylle!” “Al! “Semylle!” “Semylle! Semylle!”
“Semylle! Semylle! Semylle!” “Semylle!”
“Semylle! Semylle!” “Semylle!”
Ben laughed. “Hey, Ben? Ben shook his head. Ben shook his head. Ben chuckled. “Patience, Al. Ben nodded. “Ben,” Al said. “Al! Al followed suit.
Al and I nodded vigorously. Al was stuck. Meaning Al is not normal.”
“Renan!” Al yelled hoarsely. “Renan!” Al repeated. “Renan…” “Al! Al! “Where’s Ben?”

-----

XD Not terribly funny to anyone else, but I'm enjoying this thoroughly.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]