Author: Subject: Pet Peeves w/ either Reading or Writing
vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: frazzled

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley04.gif posted on 6-16-2006 at 10:27 PM
Pet Peeves w/ either Reading or Writing

This is actually a spin-off from my "Newbie Me" forum but I thought it would be a great topic to bring up and let people rant and rave about their pet peeves, either with reading or writing.

One of my biggest pet peeves with reading is that I have to constantly hunt for books... the ones that are in series. That's a problem with me and the major reason I try to avoid reading sci-fi or fantasy novels. Sometimes there are those stories that you begin reading but you don't know anything unless you've started from the absolute beginning "book number one" and read it straight through in chronological order to "book fifty-four." (Exaggeration but you understand my drift.) There are the occasional books that belong to a series and they are well-written enough to hold on their own. You don't need to know every event that happened in "book two" or in "book three" to understand the story in "book four." I love those ones. It's what makes me go back to them.

Usually, when I visit the library, I borrow the whole quartet or section to make sure that I don't miss anything. I read pretty quickly so it's not like I'm really hogging it up. (Even though I am. *grin*) I return them once I'm done. Still, it must nag people to be unable to find the first book and only be stuck with the second and third.
:P

anyone else?
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

Mood: planning? lol what\'s that?

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 10:43 PM

Oh, that's definitely a peeve of mine, not being able to find the right one in a quartet. Like, currently, I'm looking for the first TBP (trade paperback) of a comic, because I read a few scans from it and I want to persue it, but I can only find the 2nd and 8th TPBs, which is unhelpful. :|

Peeve when reading fanfiction is if a writer is posting as they write, and then lose their focus and just stop writing. I've wasted many hours on reading an excellent chaptered story, only to find that the author isn't going to follow through and give me closure. :(

I have just met you and I love you.
vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by obi1sgirl

Peeve when reading fanfiction is if a writer is posting as they write, and then lose their focus and just stop writing. I've wasted many hours on reading an excellent chaptered story, only to find that the author isn't going to follow through and give me closure. :(

That is so true. I've had that happened but I think in other genres. It annoys the crap out of me.

Another thing is I don't like Anne Rice's thin books. The only books I enjoy by her are the thick novel ones - usually the vampire or the mayfair witch cronicles. (<-sp?) But i hated her thin ones.. I can't remember what the title was but I think it was less than 400 pages and it was BORING. I think it was a stream-of-consciousness writing practice that she had completed while she was stuck with writer's block and then decided to have it published simply because her name was a big name and she'd be able to sell anything. Bah. I hated it. It was boring and none of the chracters popped out in my mind. The story was going nowhere and I just couldn't finish it. I didn't hit the halfway point... not even the 1/3 point. It was just THAT bad.
The second thin novel I picked up by her wasn't that great either and I didn't finish it. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything that I wanted to know nor did I understand what she was rambling on about. In the end I couldn't stand it and I returned both of those books. I know I should read all writings, good or bad, just to keep myself well-read and able to identify bad writing... but it was horrendous. I didn't finish it.
Ugh.
From then on, I made a point to always pick up her thicker novels and leave the thinner ones behind.
silentgoldeneyes
Let me tell you a story...

Mood: Quietly waiting....

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vitamin_D
One of my biggest pet peeves with reading is that I have to constantly hunt for books... the ones that are in series.

I hate it when you go to a library and they've got books 2, 3, 4 and so on, but never book 1. I dont want to start in the middle, thanks anyway!

Also, as obi1sgirl said, fanfic authors posting as they write. When your in the middle of a story and all of a sudden there's this comment e.g (A/N Isn't this fun etc etc). It just plain pisses me off.

And really bad grammar/spelling you can pick out in published books. You have an editor, but maybe a new one would be helpful...

\"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Life would be very tedious if it were either.\"

Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 03:28 AM

I have serious issues when people misuse the apostrophe. Or homophones. Drives me up the wall faster than anything. I can usually deal with spelling mistakes [to a certain point] and punctuation as a whole, but homophones / apostrophes change the whole meaning of a word immediately. Some spelling errors do this too, but not nearly as often.

Text book organization really needs some help too. In my current Spanish text, one half of a verb tense is in chapter six and then the other half in seven. And in my Music History text, it's not in chronological order sometimes. For the first 15 or so chapters it is, but past there, it's like the author got lazy.

Speaking of lazy... I hate when people translate something from one language to another that they aren't at least partially fluent in. It almost always comes out sloppy and annoying.

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silentgoldeneyes
And really bad grammar/spelling you can pick out in published books. You have an editor, but maybe a new one would be helpful...

That actually annoys me too. It happens more often than you think but I don't see why others dont' pick up on it. How many editors does one person use? Shouldn't there be safety in numbers? Like 3 editors?
I don't know what to say to those but when I read, I read smoothly. It's little things like typos and what-not in the printing that makes me trip over the sentence and for the next 30 seconds, my reading has been interrupted. :P
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 04:59 PM

Punctuation and spelling errors don't really bother me, but there are times when I come across a sentence in a book that makes me stumble. I'll read it and get confused, and then I spend about a minute trying to figure out what was just said because it was worded so poorly.

crasi
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: awake

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 06:13 PM

Quote:

Peeve when reading fanfiction is if a writer is posting as they write, and then lose their focus and just stop writing. I've wasted many hours on reading an excellent chaptered story, only to find that the author isn't going to follow through and give me closure

Those writers are bad, but what I really hate is when that writer keeps writing and writing and writing on the same story. The writer should have stopped at chapter 70, but they're still going strong on chapter 120. I've read stories straight through to chapter 80, and realized that the author has decided to go in a different direction. A direction that doesn't match up with the rest of the story, and just seems to be there to extend the writing. At that point an excellent story becomes a terrible one.

[Edited on 6-17-2006 by crasi]
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crasi
The writer should have stopped at chapter 70, but they're still going strong on chapter 120.

Oooooh yeah. I've had my share of those too. :| In that case, I don't mind if the author decides to stop, because it's really not worth it anyway.

Hmm, another peeve: unncessesary song lyrics in the middle of fics. Yeah, I get the fact that they're "song fics", but they totally ruin the flow of the story for me. I love music, and I love reading, but not so much reading the music in the middle of the writing. :P

silentgoldeneyes

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Hmm, another peeve: unncessesary song lyrics in the middle of fics. Yeah, I get the fact that they're "song fics", but they totally ruin the flow of the story for me. I love music, and I love reading, but not so much reading the music in the middle of the writing. :P

I dont mind that so much if the author writes it in well and it makes sense, but if it's completely unnecessary, random and badly written, it just doesn't work, songfic or not

\"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Life would be very tedious if it were either.\"

obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 07:32 PM

I honestly haven't come across many who write it well enough that it makes sense. ;)

vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 10:13 PM

Quote:

hahahaha... for my 50,000+ words, i thought i'd put in a couple songs & riddles to take up word count.. but i think the songs are able to go during the editiong part.
:P
but i should avoid trying to please anyone.. so i'll think up songs to put in my 50,000+ words
hahahaha...

it's like Charlie & the Chocolate factory & the oompa loompas
^_^
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 11:03 PM

Almost seems a bit like cheating that way. ;)

vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Almost seems a bit like cheating that way. ;)

hahahah....
let's think of it as "pushing the boundaries"
:D hahahaha...
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 11:11 PM

Hehe, whatever pleases the author. :D

vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-18-2006 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Hehe, whatever pleases the author. :D

hahaha..
of course
:P :D

it will be shuffled under the title of "Creative Writing"
:D

it's almost as bad as fillers.
silentgoldeneyes

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 12:02 AM

Artistic license...

Hey, if I'm short on words I'll probably chuck in a few lyrics.

crasi
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 12:18 AM

The only positive about lyrics is that the reader can easily skip over them. To me, you might as well write a four paragraph description of a wall.
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

[*] posted on 6-19-2006 at 12:22 AM

*snicker* that's a very apt comparison. :D

vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 09:44 PM

Pet Peeve:
put on a waiting list for a certain book that I REALLY want to read....
crasi
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Pet Peeve:
put on a waiting list for a certain book that I REALLY want to read....

Oooh, that sounds annoying. I've never been put on a waiting list, but I have ordered books. Several times, I've had 5 day delivery turn into 2-3 weeks. I've had 2 books that weren't worth the wait. I could tell from the first chapter that the book was bad. I hate wasting time on lousy books.
dragonrhapsody
JulNo Writer

Mood: Workin\' hard & hardly working.

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 05:12 PM

I can't stand spelling errors, grammatical errors or name-errors. I've caught a couple books used a character's name who wasn't in the scene. Drove me NUTS.

I also hate not being able to find a full series of books. I'm working on a few.

I like Anne Rice, one of the thinner novels of hers I read was "The Mummy." Just so you know, apparently the Vampire Chronicals by her, and the "Mummy" series {I think there's only two books the third has been 'in production' for a while} that tie up loose ends about the Mayfair Taltos.

vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonrhapsody

I like Anne Rice, one of the thinner novels of hers I read was "The Mummy." Just so you know, apparently the Vampire Chronicals by her, and the "Mummy" series {I think there's only two books the third has been 'in production' for a while} that tie up loose ends about the Mayfair Taltos.

ooOOOOooo... i enjoyed the Mayfair Taltos section but I haven't heard of "the mummy." the thing is.. the other book i read by her seemed like that tales of the Taltos are over. it tied all the loose ends for me and i'd be disappointed if that series got started up again. i was REALLY happy with it in the end. i don't think i'm going to look for "the mummy" for a while. I'll wait until i'm ready to take up that adventure again at a later date.
clairebunny
JulNo Member

Mood: cheerful

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 09:04 AM

Pet Peeve with reading is definitely authors who appear overnight and everyone worships. Dan Brown, mainly.
I remember when the Da Vinci code first came out and all I heard was "OMG! Dan Brown! He's wonderful! He's such a great author! A genius!" And all that just disgusted me, so I was put off reading his books.

And then it all went quiet for a while, and then next thing I know everyone's saying "Hang on, he can't actually write all that well and he uses the same plot in all his books", which to be honest made me feel a little smug.

legally, it\'s questionable; morally, disgusting; personally, I like it.
Morigale
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-1-2006 at 09:09 AM

I agree with Claire. Example: That kid who wrote 'Eragon' who's apparently OMG SOOOOO awesome because he's PUBLISHED! At thirteen!
Well, his books suck. I'm sorry. My father bought me both of the books because he figured they had to be good... and he thinks I like them because I haven't the heart to tell him otherwise. I hope there's not a third one.

Edit: I forgot the reason I wanted to post in the first place. I hate books in a series that, while you could read them out of order, the following books spoil the ones before. There's one mystery series where I started with the third and the damned main character went off on a trip down memory lane about who the killers were from the first two books. *headdesk*

And my writing pet peeve: When I can just TELL that a section has the wrong tone, or is entirely choppy sentences, but I can't think of a way to fix it without mangling it. Or worse, can't think of a way to fix it without mangling the surrounding sections.

[Edited on 7-1-2006 by Morigale]

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]