JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Family writing? For sure!
hanafan36
JulNo Member

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley01.gif posted on 6-10-2009 at 11:42 PM
Family writing? For sure!

I'm doing JulNo this year with my younger sister, who's ten. I think celebrating my NaNo/JanNo certificates may have inspired her. :P

Is anyone else doing this? Or maybe thinks it sounds like fun? We're doing separate novels, but now there's no need for the internet when it comes to word wars. :D
purple_ink_pen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
JulNoWriMo Title: Z-Day

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 04:29 AM

I've tried it, with both my parents. Mom thought it was fun, but didn't get past about 2k since she wanted to really research all of the symbolism. Papa still thinks anything I write in a month MUST be shit, because he couldn't do it. (4k, I think? Maybe 5k.)

I hear stories, though. Of people who can write with family and friends IRL. *Starry eyed*

Screnzy10: Guns Blazing (Win!)
NaNo08: Wirebreadth (Win!)
SeptNo08: Keepers of Glory- Winter Flowers (Win!)
AugNo08: Baked (Win!)
JulNo08: A Starless Sky (Win!)
SolNo08: Space Piracy For Great Justice! (Working Title) (Win)
Screnzy07: Smoke Rings (Win)
Ravenclaw77
JulNo Member

Mood: psyched

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 08:38 AM
Family Writing

Not writing with family, but I'll be doing most of my writing on a laptop right next to my girlfriend who will also be NaNoing. A mutual friend of ours will be doing JulNoWriMo with us for his second year in a row.

I do think having the support of others who are also writing will be motivational for all three of us, as none of us will want to let the others down and not complete our deadlines. And I have heard these forums can do the same.
Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 12:51 PM

I wish. ]:

My sister writes, but slowly, so the WriMo world isn't for her, unfortunately. None of my RL friends write, either. My old roommate did but her fiance has somehow convinced her that it's a waste of time and she only managed 7k or so before dropping out of the one and only NaNo that I badgered her into trying. ]:

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 01:05 PM

I'm encouraging a man I tutor to participate in this year's WriMo. He's struggled with getting good educational opportunities his whole life, and enjoys writing (poetry, primarily). He's made some huge strides in the past year with his writing, so I told him to give JulNoWriMo a shot with me. He hasn't decided yet, but when I see him next Monday for tutoring we're going to look at the site together, so we'll see.

JulNoWriMo 08: Listen, 76k

It\'s done, I wrote it, now I just have to type it up. -RDJ
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Hepburn
SlySionnach
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: Trip / Empty Brocade

Word Count: 121257 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 07:13 PM

No one in my family writes, sadly. Aside from a cousin who lives halfway across the country.

BUT I did make two of my roommates write with me =) My bffl, the creative writing major, doesn't think she can do it though...

09: Trip- 50,055
10: Empty Brocade - 63,660
12: The Reanimation Code - FAIL
13: Only Illusion - 77,050
14: Finishing Novels - TBD

Zombie Writers Unit
If we fry our brains, we'll just take yours.
purple_ink_pen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
JulNoWriMo Title: Z-Day

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 08:13 PM

*Waves to Pliny's friend* Hi! We don't bite!

Unless you need the motivation...

Screnzy10: Guns Blazing (Win!)
NaNo08: Wirebreadth (Win!)
SeptNo08: Keepers of Glory- Winter Flowers (Win!)
AugNo08: Baked (Win!)
JulNo08: A Starless Sky (Win!)
SolNo08: Space Piracy For Great Justice! (Working Title) (Win)
Screnzy07: Smoke Rings (Win)
Aestua Nox
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: pretty optimistic
JulNoWriMo Title: Day of Silence / other projects

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 10:03 PM

Family writing for JulNo, most definitely not, although my 22-year-old brother and I are playing with the idea of doing the 3 day novel at the same time over Labor Day weekend at his place (with different novels). Doubt it'll happen, though, and if it did, I'm pretty sure I'd've bitten his head off before the weekend ended. :P

I did make one of my best friends, Jackie, do JulNo with me, though - that's Amythyst Jewel to all of you. :) I can definitely attest to the fact that IRL word wars are extremely effective!
Alies
JulNo Writer

Mood: Awake

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 01:52 PM

I had pushed my brother into writing a story when he was younger. But then the dog teared it apart with his 'claws'and since then my brother doesn't write anymore

The Doctor: Rose... before I go, I just want to tell you: you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? [Pause] So was I!
Dr. Nicholas Rush: For a moment there I thought we were in trouble
Rather Be Sledding
JulNo Writer

Mood: Slightly crispy with a gooey center
JulNoWriMo Title: Cubicle Commandos

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 03:37 PM

LOL... My Dad and I are off in our timing... he popped out a 50K word novel in January of 08 and self-published it rather recently. To one up him, I popped past his word count and only took a paltry 18 days to do it.

But alas, I never finished the story, my father had his start middle end done. This year I vow to try to get last year's project to pass the 100K mark. (so 50K + another 50K) and then give copies to my editor friends to pull apart and such.

It'd have been fun had we gone tete-a-tete.

JulNo08: The Dreaming Dragon (working title)
JulNo10: Really going to finish The Dreaming Dragon (still working title)
JulNo11: Cubicle Commandos
JulNo12: Unknown
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/803796/the_typewriter_song/
Shino
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 01:54 AM

Haha I wish! That sounds like such a fun idea, family sit downs, laptops at the ready! :D
Nope, none of the fam write whatsoever. My father's my main editor though haha. He checks everything through [even my YA stuff, I love him for it] just to make sure everything makes sense, and if I don't have much of an idea about something, he'll help me out. He's like a walking encyclopedia.

I have however managed to coerce one of my best friends into doing this with me :D I don't know if she'll join here, or just try and pop out 50, 000 words on her own, but I have a writing buddy at least!
All of my other friends went...1 month, 50,000 words ick.

This above all to thine own self be true;
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
wolf
JulNo Writer

Mood: Not as worried as yesterday

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 09:13 AM

Yeah, that would be fun. Most people find the challenge too daunting. My hubby said he'd like to try it, when I had finished NaNo 08, but he said he'd be too nervous to attempt it. I think that's silly. No one's going to hold it against you even if you only write 2k words. That's still an accomplishment.
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-27-2009 at 09:02 AM

I have a small family: it's just my parents and I. Father's in the armed forces and has little time to relax let alone write a novel (and he's more of a gamer, so I doubt he'd even want to). My mother is the biggest bookworm I've ever met - but she's not tempted to pick up the pen.

But they're both supportive of my writing. When I plan a wriday, they don't bug me unless absolutely necessary and remind me to eat and stuff. So it's okay. They've never tried to discourage me from writing. :)

My best friend writes romance and fantasy, but at a much slower pace - with her longest piece currently sitting at 4k. So julno isn't for her, but she makes an effort to check in with me every few days to ask how it's going.

Or, like last Monday, read an erotic piece aloud in the English seminar room at school. To the girl I like to refer to as my "wife". :x

~ ♥ ~
Sam_Garrison
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: The Staff of Monsters

[*] posted on 6-27-2009 at 01:11 PM

My sister's doing it. And my mom is seriously considering it. She's already got a plot down, but she hasn't registered yet.

And me? Why else would I have registered right before July? Serious boredom? That's a possibility, but the truth is, three outta the five that live in my home are doing julnowrimo,
snowbug
JulNo Member

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 04:57 AM

When my daughter gets a bit older, I will definitely encourage her to participate, if she's interested. But she is only 6 at the moment, so it's a bit too early ;)

(She already makes up stories though, and draws them into a series of pictures and then asks me to add the text.)
Sam_Garrison
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: The Staff of Monsters

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 02:19 PM

She sounds like me as little, always drawing little stories
Telephone
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-9-2009 at 05:08 PM

._. One of my friends writes, but she doesn't think she can do Jul/NaNoWriMo and certainly none of my family do. I'm a bit of a black sheep. >: The one that writes and learns German and wants to travel the world, whereas everyone else is really comfortable just existing.

I mean, my Granddad travels but I rarely see him and I can't see him writing, but I'm talking about my immediate family.

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by Telephone]
merry_abandon
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Going to keel over
JulNoWriMo Title: BNGoF:2&3

[*] posted on 7-13-2009 at 11:07 AM

This past NaNo I got my mom to do it, but she only managed 3K (she's not a writer by nature and she was too worried about her novel having no plot *sigh*) so she's probably not going to attempt it again this year. And I've tried so hard to get my high school writing club friends into it... you'd think other writers would be interested. They were too overwhelmed by the number to even consider trying.
But this year, I've made my dad promise to do NaNo with me. :D My excuse was that I would be at college, and we wouldn't get to do as much together, so NaNo would be a way to stick together. He's working on a plot right now for it--if half-heartedly-- but he eventually wants to write an American History textbook, so this is just going to be practice.
I wish I had someone close to write with, anybody really. :(

NaNo07- The Journey- 27,035
NaNo08- Relinquishing Command- 100,819
ScriptFrenzy09- Spamlet- 47 pages
JulNoWriMo09- The Merry War- 78,675; The Unchosen- 22,912
NaNoWriMo09- BNGoF1&4- 153,647

Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

Mood: ecstatic and insatiate

[*] posted on 7-13-2009 at 07:08 PM

If only. None of my family members really write, though I've almost got my sister convinced to do NaNo in 2009. I have one friend who does WriMos, but I didn't get to write with her much, because she lives on the other side of town. :-/

Knowlege_Master
JulNo Writer

Mood: Holy crud there's no way I can do this.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Dragon-Slayer's Apprentice (working title)

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 04:55 PM

I'm the only serious writer at the moment in my family. My little sister signed up for the young writer's program for NaNo, so we'll see how that goes. My mom and dad don't really get my fascination with writing, but on the whole are very good about it. NaNo might not work real well this year, because I'm a freshman, and my mom's already mad at me for doing cross country rather than focusing only on my acadmics. So I'll probably be keeping NaNo rather quiet. But my dad's really awesome, a walking encyclopedia. I can ask the most random questions, with no context, and he can usually come up with an answer. My friend is a writer, but she's so busy it's hard for her to find time. I keep bugging her about doing a WriMo, but she keeps refusing. Still, we inspire each other, and break each other's writer's blocks.

\"The only hat worth wearing was the one you made for yourself, not the one you bought, not the one you were given. Your own hat, for your own head. Your own future, not someone else\'s.\" - Terry Pratchett, in A Hat Full of Sky

-----------------------------------------------------
Screnzy 09: WIN!
JulNo 09: WIN!
NaNo 09: WIN!
Screnzy 10: lost.
JulNo 10: ???
Corrupted_Apple
JulNo Writer

Mood: Wishing that there were more hours in the day to slack off in.

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 10:58 PM

My parents are both writers, but they tend to do television more than novels. My dad is very happy that I'm working on a piece of writing, though, and he's been helping me with certain niggly plot points, even though right now he's a bit busy with his site. And my little sister reads over my shoulder and gives feedback. Yeah, basically everyone in my family writes, and I'm the lazy comic person. So this is kind of a change. :)

Sewpah Steph
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Happy to be back

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 04:42 AM

None of my family writes with me, although I might try and get my dad into Augno, he isnt very into reading or writing but he never does anything new and I think it would really help us connect (since he lives 12 hours away and I see him like twice a year)

I dont think I would enjoy my family writing with me, if I family member was doing it I would sit down and talk to that person during procrastination time, but I couldn't write with them. I need to motivate myself to write.

as for friends, some of them write, but none of them seem to have the interest I have in writing. Nothing makes me happier than the idea of a Wrimo coming up.

All in all, nobody really takes interest in my writing above asking about my word count (which hapens rarely). I wish I had someone that, even if they didnt write, I could talk to about writing. Misbehaving characters, the insanity of being away from reality for so long, stuf like that.

WaterVyper
JulNo Writer

Mood: Great! ^.^

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 09:18 AM

Nobody in my family writes. Though, I've convinced my brother (nine years old) to set a lower word count for NaNoWriMo this year, and we'll have write-ins together in my room. He's going to take the laptop and I'm using my computer.

My parents don't really know about it. They figure it's just some assignment in school. *grin* If only. I would badger my English teacher into making the class do NaNo, but that's the same month as our exams. Besides, they'd all complain anyway. None of my classmates enjoy writing.

Overall, I'm the only one who takes writing seriously. Doing a WriMo is really fun, and I only wish I could do it with someone else. But, oh well, I can manage.

ZigZag
JulNo Writer

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 04:29 PM

Maybe I'll do Nano with my older sister in the fall. We'll see.

LunaKlipps
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Ready to write!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Down

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 06:46 PM

-laughs-

Even though my mother has a completed novel (which is AWESOME and she's trying to get it published) and part of a sequel to it AND an entirely new idea that she's working on, she thinks that Nano and Julno are dumb. She keeps telling me "You know that it's quality and then quanity, right?" And I go, "Not this month :D" So yeah, that doesn't work.

My dad has never written anything other than nonfiction papers for college and stuff for work now, and my sister is nine.

Needless to say, I'm the only nano-er in the house, even if my mother is a writer as well. -sigh- Guess I'm on my own, then.

NaNoWriMo '08: Menda - EPIC FAIL - 3.344
JulNoWriMo '09: The Twin Gates - WIN! - 50k
NaNoWriMo '09: blink - WIN! - 50.077 - WIP
JulNoWriMo '10: Framed - Abandoned - 8.899
NaNoWriMo '10: Down - WIN! - 50.200 - WIP
JulNoEdMo '11: Down (Cont.) - WIP - Edit in Progress
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]