Author: Subject: Need Motivations/Ideas
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley16.gif posted on 5-23-2009 at 09:50 PM
Need Motivations/Ideas

I'm working on revising a short story at the moment, and I've got a big plot hole that I'm having a hard time filling. In this story, a young swordsman goes on a journey to destroy a demon who threatens to capture the gods and end the world as he knows it. This demon was the gods' first attempt at "man". They made a powerful creature, one that had all of their abilities and strength, barring immortality. Resentful of his creators, this "man" found the proverbial fountain of youth, and now he was no different from the gods, and still they refused to recognize him as their equal. So, he retreated to a castle he created, working to hatch a plan to capture the gods and bring their creation to destruction. The question is, why now? Why would this demon take/wait so long to enact his plan? What was in his way?

Here's his plan: He captures the five gods, then severs the earth from the heavens, creating a single link which by his design requires a life (human or god, since, after all, the humans are creations of the gods most akin to them). In this link, he places Deisfasya, or "Mother", the goddess above all the others.

Thanks for all your help, and tell me if you need more details. I've just started revising, so I won't be there for a little while.

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
Mad Red Queen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Banned (?) from the chat room. Need assitance and maybe an explanation!

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 11:14 PM

Well, timing for strange, god-like occurances is what I am currently working on myself. I have a few ideas in mind, since I am still in the mindset of why upper beings would choose a specific period in time to cause trouble.

First of all- could it be that he had a grand plan which he had the foresight to plan many years away- so many, in fact, that you could fairly say that his enemies have all but forgotten about him? That way he can work his revenge so that it's served ice cold- the way he would want it for his lifetime of anguish?

Second- how hard, exactly, is it for a mortal of ANY kind- even immortal- to get ahold of such information which could be the undoing of Gods? What if he had plans to spend the rest of eternity in the fruitless search for information- and happened across it when he was losing hope... many years away?

Third- There's always time travel. Or, at least, an aspect of it. What if he had to trade in some of his immortality (i.e, many, many years) to somebody for the ability to have his revenge? He would lie somewhere for so many years until the alloted time was spent, and the borrower keeled over and died after the deal ended? He then woke up and went along with things as planned- albeit all cobwebby.

I... hope I helped :)

Ah, don\'t worry about that- I assure you, my A.D.D peppiness and Miss Know-it-all Attitude will grow on you like mold!

http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html -- Putting the \"prod\" in productivity is satan\'s cruel way to punish you for not writing to his standards...

thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 09:36 AM

Thanks, Mad Red Queen. Something about what you said sparked this tentative "solution", though I'm not sure what.

Okay, I'm just going to think out loud for a little bit and see if that works.

The demon, Aishtan, definitely has the ability to oversee events in the world, as he knows about the swordmaster who told my MC, Ishvit, about him. But the problem is, Deisfasya, the goddess, is captured before Ishvit gets that information. So, there's another question: Since Deisfasya was running around as a human, why are the gods running around in human form, instead of working from the heavens? Could it be that each was preparing someone for the destruction of Aishtan (which is never truly a destruction, as he is immortal)? That would certainly clue Aishtan in to what was happening. But then, why can't the gods chose their savior from the heavens? Perhaps it was because, when they created the world, they set up boundaries between the heavens and the earth, because they wanted people to act of their own free will, and that keeps them from fooling with people's minds. They can only manipulate a person's surroundings, and, in this case, they wanted to be absolutely sure their plan went through, so they went to the earth to guide in person, thus making themselves vulnerable. Does that make sense?

Also, Aishtan plans to sever the heavens from the earth, and link them by a crystal which requires a life (mortal or immortal) to sustain it. This crystal will be filled by the goddess. It would take many years, I'm sure, to build such a colossal magic that could sever the two, and to build a link that would counteract the repulsion of the two from the severing force would take just as much energy, no? So here the success of his plan depends on the gods waiting long enough to give him time to set these magics in place. Which would be foolish of them. Why would they wait so long?

So many questions...it's actually kind of exciting. :D I'll post scene one when I've finished revising it, just for a taste.

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
Woodenman
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 08:45 AM

Its an interesting idea and I can see why allowing the Old Gods to forget the New God would be an advantage in any plot and the reason I would use is that as people get older and believe that they have more power than anyone else, will open talk about their weakness. Now for the Old Gods this would be done through a mechanism of tomes or book and they don't even need to be religious books as the Olds Gods might delight in leading mortals around the garden path, after all the Old Gods need to keep themselves amused for eternity so why be honest up front, the New God can watch changes and gleam information on the means to sever, as for an Old God in mortal form, its bragging, helping and hindering mortals all at the same time, again with time most people have habits the New God can recognise signs of an Old Gods mortal existance.

hope it might help

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]