Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silly & Nostalgic ... & Beijing
Sobriquet

Mood: Eager

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley01.gif posted on 8-9-2008 at 05:56 AM
Silly & Nostalgic ... & Beijing

A handful of people keep checking back every day but nobody's posting, and I had an amusing evening yesterday, and its writing-related, so I thought I'd write it down here.

Well, in the last week (since Monday...) I've talked to no more than ten people in person (probably just six... seven if you count my father on Monday morning) and only four more online (or maybe just three...). Oh - and I texted a few people. But anyway, it was a dull, quiet week spent worrying about my mental health. :D (No, really, seriously. I cannot get my JulNo out of my head, but its evolved beyond anything it was ever supposed to be.)

So, I thought I'd go all nostalgic and I happened across my old stories. I wrote a lot when I was thirteen. I read the occasional line, but I realised that I couldn't bring myself to actually read it. It was just so awful. The plot was both predictable, melodramatic and unbelievable, the characters were 2D, stereotypical and kind of stilted, the dialogue didn't make sense, and the structure... The less said about that, the better. So, I went to bed feeling silly and wondering if that's how I'd feel about what I'm writing now, in five years' time.

In the last week, I looked for and found about 90% of everything I wrote in five years, and most of it makes me want to burn it, or at least throw it out of the window... Does anyone else feel the same way? So embarrassed about your earlier stuff that you just want to destroy it and anyone who you ever tortured into reading it and told you it was brilliant?

Oh well. There's hope yet. The spending every moment running through a scene of my JulNo has gone away. When I woke up this morning, my characters didn't do anything. I think the story has gone as far as I can reasonably expect it to, now. Or maybe those stories just scared them away and they don't want to live in my mind any more.

:D

Oh - and did you watch the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony? I did. That road to the side of the stadium, I've been down that road. I even got out my photo of the stadium being built. I was there in 2006. It was fantastic, but I lived on white rice and watermelon (more or less) for a week. I tried stuff by the end, but everyone was ill pretty much all of the time, so we tried to stick with what we knew.

Anyway, they estimated that 4 billion people would watch the Opening Ceremony. Bloody hell - where'd they get that number from? That's impressive if that many did. It was a pretty fantastic show, though.

China is awesome. I want to go back sometime, if I can afford it. Or go on an exchange program. I'd love to do that. And really experience it. I'd just have to learn to use chopsticks... I tried and failed.

JulNo \'07: 59,557 words.
NaNo \'07: 52,452 words.
JulNo \'08: 53,556 words.
NaNo \'08: epic fail.
JulNo \'09: 19,949 words.
Ever since then? Eep, university.
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 08:57 AM

Yeah, that's why I have difficulty completing any writing project--after awhile, I think it's crap. I sometimes forget that they call it a first draft for a reason.

I didn't watch the Opening Ceremonies, actually. I was watching a baseball game. 4 billion people??? That's, like, 2/3rds of the world.

FightAgainstSymmetry
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 09:26 AM

It was an amazing opening ceremony. I loved it when they had the fireworks that were footprints 'walking' to the stadium. How the hell are we going to top that in 2012?

Ps, I've been able to use chopsticks since I was 7 :P

\"Take a chance! Take your shoes off, dance in the rain!\"

Brownthumb
JulNo Writer

Mood: Not winning JulNo

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 04:47 AM

I was visiting my parents for some of July and the first week of August, and staying in my old room. In the room are many things I didn't take with me, including four stories which I illustrated and bound in a book. I didn't dare try to read them, though--it would have put me off writing in July, I think.

I'm sure the plots will be bad, but I think the prose might be decent, probably better than the first draft I produced in July.

Ps. Didn't watch the Olympics. I'm sort of anti-TV. Haven't been to China, either.

[Edited on 2008-8-10 by Brownthumb]
Sobriquet

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 06:03 AM

2012... God, I'll be... 21. Ow, scary.

But yeah, we won't top that.

And the estimated viewing figure was actually one billion - still a lot.

And I am sane again! I'm doing a rewrite of a different story where the characters aren't quite so real to me. *sigh of relief*

And, oh God, three days until results day. And my sister's singing to me. Its not good.

FightAgainstSymmetry
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 09:35 AM

I find that not thinking about results day is best, however it is impossible to live in this results day free bubble as everyone keeps asking me about it. AND, because I'm not bricking it enough, my sister told me that it's ok if I need to re-sit the year if I do badly.
Thanks sis'! :embarrassed:

\"Take a chance! Take your shoes off, dance in the rain!\"

Sobriquet

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 01:18 PM

That's my plan. Spend four years in sixth form: best way to put off work forever.

No, I'm not going to think about it any more until Thursday. Two happy days left first...

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]