JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: And As JulNo 08 Comes To A Close...
purple_ink_pen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
JulNoWriMo Title: Z-Day

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 11:47 AM
And As JulNo 08 Comes To A Close...

As JulNo 08 comes to a close, we look back and reminice about the fun we've had, the goals we've met, the goals we've missed, and the loved ones who have missed us (Careful- their aim is improving.).

This was my rookie year at JulNo. I've made some great friends, and I've written more words in a stretch than I ever have before.

What about you?

Screnzy10: Guns Blazing (Win!)
NaNo08: Wirebreadth (Win!)
SeptNo08: Keepers of Glory- Winter Flowers (Win!)
AugNo08: Baked (Win!)
JulNo08: A Starless Sky (Win!)
SolNo08: Space Piracy For Great Justice! (Working Title) (Win)
Screnzy07: Smoke Rings (Win)
twiggy_trippit
JulNo Writer

Mood: Yay! JulNo! :)

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 12:30 PM

I feel a bit high, buzzed on coffee. I just broke 44k, and I've just finished writing an important climax in the story, perhaps my MC's first moment of catharsis. I'm forcing myself to leave the computer and eat food, because skipping meals is bad for me. :P

I loved JulNo, and I loved what I learned from this forum. It makes me realize how much I love writing, and how important it is for me to put my obsessions on the page. The lack of censorship is both a challenge and a liberation. It's difficult because I want to come up with something good, but at the same time writing about what I obsess over - even if it embarrasses me a little - seems to bring more and more juice and inspiration. In the end, it leaves me with the question: "Who would love to read this?" Because I would really like to meet those people.

I'm getting close to the end of the first part of my novel, my MCs introduction to a hidden world where all he's ever wanted seems within reach. I expect to break 50k at the same time as this first part will reach its conclusion. I want to keep writing after that, and I hope I'll make the time for it. University is coming up soon, and I'm afraid free time will become a rarity. I should find an easy job that will leave me with lots of free time to write on my laptop (once I get it fixed - it broke down midway through the WriMo - yay for backups).

I just want to say it again - I love writing, and thanks to JulNo for helping me realize how much I do.

Novel synopsis:

\"Elliott is teenager growing up in a fictional, futuristic fascist state, where war and soldiering are glorified, and where dissidents and criminals are sent to reeducation camps for torture and brainwashing. Aware of his own homosexuality, for which he doesn\'t even have a name except for Criminal against Nature and Nation, Elliott runs away from his small-town home to the City. He\'s heard through illegal Network data that there are clandestine gangs of youth like him providing each other with care, love, and foster, and he travels there in the wild hope of living more than shame, terror, and loneliness.

It\'s a dark and scary, warm and smutty tale of rebellion of those who lust for freedom and each other, pitted against those whose only high is to reduce others to powerlessness. \"
amandalynn125
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 12:47 PM

This was my first year as well. It's been a long, strange trip.

I love these forums and everyone who posts on them. Small forums are fun because you can really get to know people. And these forum posters don't make me feel like an old lady. :P

Things I learned:

• 1 shot is too little, 3 shots is too much. 2 shots is just right.
  • I am not cut out to be a pantser.
  • Anytime is the right time for smut. 8-)
  • Well, maybe not when the keyboard is spinning.
  • There are only so many ways to describe clouds.
  • I have an unhealthy compulsion to hurt my MC.

Challenges I won:

• 5k/2 (July 5 & 6)
  • 10 days + 10%

Overall, I had a great experience. I plan to use what I've learned to kick butt in Augno. :D

Brownthumb
JulNo Writer

Mood: Not winning JulNo

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amandalynn125
And these forum posters don't make me feel like an old lady. :P

I'm glad you're not old, because if you were, I'd be ancient.

I only joined this website during the last week. I find that it's nice to be able to talk to other people about this project, and to talk about your characters. I've learned more about them from the 'Which of Your Characters' thread. Plus I got some nice suggestions from people.

Overall, I think this website takes a lot of my time, but I seem to be starting in with writing first thing in the morning, instead of procrastinating until afternoon. So despite the time-wasting effects, it's helpful. If I were trying to make this work around a job, I'd probably be better off skipping the forums. Good thing that's not the case!
twiggy_trippit
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 01:25 PM

I procrastinate on the forums, but in the end, I feel that they've been much more helpful than not to keep motivation up, and the challenges are a great way of keeping your word count going.

Up to some extent, procrastination is a useful thing - sometimes these ideas need to simmer a bit before you can write them down. I think almost everyone here agrees that breaks are an important part of writing (as long as you write consistently).

Novel synopsis:

\"Elliott is teenager growing up in a fictional, futuristic fascist state, where war and soldiering are glorified, and where dissidents and criminals are sent to reeducation camps for torture and brainwashing. Aware of his own homosexuality, for which he doesn\'t even have a name except for Criminal against Nature and Nation, Elliott runs away from his small-town home to the City. He\'s heard through illegal Network data that there are clandestine gangs of youth like him providing each other with care, love, and foster, and he travels there in the wild hope of living more than shame, terror, and loneliness.

It\'s a dark and scary, warm and smutty tale of rebellion of those who lust for freedom and each other, pitted against those whose only high is to reduce others to powerlessness. \"
veda
JulNo Writer

Mood: Hopeful that AugNo will bring many more words. :D

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 05:02 PM

I got farther than I did last NaNo, and.... I'm just happy with myself. Not as happy as I would be had I already finished, but I still have three days. Three days... 10K....

Weiland = <3

JulNo08: Doppelganger
Body Count: 9
Inhuman Creatures: 5
Sex Scenes: 2.3
Waking Nightmares: 2.2
Mind Link Injuries: 1
Weird Subplots: 4
Loose Ends: 3
Author Epiphanies: 2
Muse Revolts: 4

---
NaNo07: Techy love story, unfinished and despised.
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 10:21 PM

First time doing this, was extremely fun. So fun that even though I didn't think I would be, I might do NaNo ^.^
Just lots of fun, very motivating, awesome. yay!

JulNoWriMo 08: Listen, 76k

It\'s done, I wrote it, now I just have to type it up. -RDJ
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Hepburn
Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 11:49 PM

My favorite? WriDay. Not even because my word count flew up by the thousand and I jumped 60 places on the stats. Because I got to hang out in the chat with Pliny and Purple Ink Pen. They made my month significantly more awesome. :]

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
purple_ink_pen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
JulNoWriMo Title: Z-Day

[*] posted on 7-30-2008 at 12:43 AM

Awww. *Group!hug w/ Erin & Pliny* I <3 you both so much!

Screnzy10: Guns Blazing (Win!)
NaNo08: Wirebreadth (Win!)
SeptNo08: Keepers of Glory- Winter Flowers (Win!)
AugNo08: Baked (Win!)
JulNo08: A Starless Sky (Win!)
SolNo08: Space Piracy For Great Justice! (Working Title) (Win)
Screnzy07: Smoke Rings (Win)
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-30-2008 at 08:55 AM

AWWWWWWWW!!!!!! *Glomp*:-*:-*:-*:-*:-*
mwah mwah mwah mwah mwah!!!

JulNoWriMo 08: Listen, 76k

It\'s done, I wrote it, now I just have to type it up. -RDJ
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Hepburn
Sobriquet

Mood: Eager

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 03:34 AM

JulNo has been awesome again this year. I have been pretty much bouncing off the walls in the last week. I've never done a challenge like, effectively, a WriMo in ten days, but it is fantastic.

I can also tell you that its possible to write 2000 words in an hour and still use the forums.

This year, I've learned a lot more about me and my style, and that when my characters are people I actually feel for, I throw myself in much more deeply. And music helps, so my thanks to Garbage, Iron Maiden, The Beatles and The Killers for providing the themes to some of the main story lines written this summer.

And thank you to you lot - this forum, and everyone on it, is awesome. And an extra special thank you to all the people who sorted me out when I was in a mess in Writing 101, and told me to just get on with it and everything'll fix itself.

:D

See you all next summer. I won't be missing it, not after this one...

JulNo \'07: 59,557 words.
NaNo \'07: 52,452 words.
JulNo \'08: 53,556 words.
NaNo \'08: epic fail.
JulNo \'09: 19,949 words.
Ever since then? Eep, university.
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 06:21 AM

Well, it's not going to be the 86,000 words I got last year, but that's okay. This year wasn't the first year I've thought about this seriously, but I know that there's no way to find out if this is what I really want to do until I succeed at it. So, I'm going to push myself and really try to get my writing in. I'm told that college is actually much easier than high school to fit a writing schedule in, plus now I won't be trying to fit in writing and my first love, piano, because I'm going to school to play the piano. I might just be in heaven next year. :)

I'll be there in AugNo, trying for 2k a day, with actual consistency, as opposed to my eight days writing nothing this year. I'll be continuing this novel. The scary thing about trying to publish this thing is that my genre's fantasy, so I'm pretty much limited to writing an epic. So, I've set my sights on 140k. Please, God, help me get there.

So, don't forget. My first year doing this, I failed. I haven't passed the finish line yet, but I've got a long, boring car ride that will do the trick this morning. Have a wonderful rest of the year, everybody. :D

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
twiggy_trippit
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 09:29 AM

I broke 50k yesterday, and I'm so happy I did this! Thanks to everyone here - you have been great company during this challenge.

Novel synopsis:

misslasagna
JulNo Writer

Mood: Stoked!

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 10:25 AM

I hit 50k yesterday and actually couldn't believe it. I signed up for JulNo on a whim. I've written almost this much before, but it took me about four years instead of four weeks ^_^ I am utterly floored by the possibilities this contest (and NaNo) have opened up.

Hooray. I love WriMos.

megs
--------
"You DO NOT growl at the love muffin!"

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5776.gif
jenni1607
JulNo Member

Mood: Determined

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 02:41 PM

I'm only up to 37,439 with only a few hours left to go, but I am proud I have got this far. I have never written this much in such a small space of time, and it has made me realise what I am actually capable of.
Thank you to every one here, and I hope to see you all in November for NaNoWriMo.
Jenni x
FightAgainstSymmetry
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 04:45 PM

This July has been great fun, I'm genuinely sad the chaos is over :crying:

See you all next year folks? :D

\"Take a chance! Take your shoes off, dance in the rain!\"

amandalynn125
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 07:25 PM

I for one am planning on coming back next year. :)

veda
JulNo Writer

Mood: Hopeful that AugNo will bring many more words. :D

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 12:18 AM

Well, I didn't quite get there, but I'm ecstatic with how much I did get written. Today I decided to take off from writing, get some sleeping and chilling in, lol.

AugNo starts tomorrow! So, the story continues. I can't wait to see how far it goes.

I will see you folks all next year, or at whatever WriMo we come across each other. :D

Weiland = <3

JulNo08: Doppelganger
Body Count: 9
Inhuman Creatures: 5
Sex Scenes: 2.3
Waking Nightmares: 2.2
Mind Link Injuries: 1
Weird Subplots: 4
Loose Ends: 3
Author Epiphanies: 2
Muse Revolts: 4

---
NaNo07: Techy love story, unfinished and despised.
DennisJernberg
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos Angel Spanner, Book 2

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 01:46 AM

I'll be back next year, of course; after all, I have 3 novels screaming to be finished (1, maybe 2 will probably be done by next time, but I'll make up for that ;) ), and I have to get them out of my brain before they drive me mad. I didn't make the target in my first JulNo, but I only burned out for 2 weeks after 5 straight wrimo victories (starting with FebNo).

I said in a couple earlier posts elsewhere that I wouldn't be joining AugNo. But I can always change my mind...

New Spanner installments now posted daily!
Hear me rock at 50/90!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dennis_jernberg
Project Blog: Spanner's World
Sobriquet

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 04:13 AM

I realised yesterday that I actually have about 80% of a draft of The Shepherd, with about 52k from last year and 10-15k written this summer as part of my JulNo words... So that's my plan for August, and by next year, hopefully I'll have my first proper finished novel.

I'll miss JulNo. I watched the clock changed from 11:59 to midnight last night and felt really quite sad. :(

tartancravat
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 02:14 PM

Well, I started on the 13th and managed to write 52,000 words by the 31st, so I'm pretty happy. I'm almost done with the novel, and looking forward to editing it. I'm not doing AugNo though, I'm just going to finish this novel and then write some fanfiction. But I'm looking forward to NaNo.

I'm really glad I finished before last night, because my power went out around 11, and I wouldn't have been able to update my wordcount had I won then. That would have really sucked.
Sobriquet

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 03:05 PM

I kept writing up until midnight, then updated my word count this morning. It took me nearly an hour to count the words because they'd been written on paper.

Vulpine_Wolf
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 02:00 PM

I learned that just because I've done it once doesn't mean it would be easy the second time.

I'll certinally be back next year, and I'll be doing Code Ragnarok: Trinity in Novemeber for my nano ^_^ (Hope to see you there.)

Also for some reason the orginal Code Ragnarok wants to be a comic more than a novel, anyone has any advice for someone starting a web comic?

Brownthumb
JulNo Writer

Mood: Not winning JulNo

[*] posted on 8-2-2008 at 06:31 PM

So...what do we do now that JulNo is over? I know some people started AugNo, but what are the rest of of us to do? I think I've lost some sense of purpose...

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]