Author: Subject: In search of a title
Brownthumb
JulNo Writer

Mood: Not winning JulNo

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-29-2008 at 01:23 AM
In search of a title

I still have about 7,000 words to go, so it may be a bit early to start worrying about the title, but, quite frankly, my working title sucks. So I'm hoping that all of us who need titles will be more adept at suggesting titles for one another than we are at finding them for ourselves. I think it could be difficult to actually help anyone this way, but at this point even a good laugh over an inappropriate title would be nice.

Current working title:
Outsourcing and OxyContin

Why this is a bad title:
The murder weapon is actually Percocet, not OxyContin. But it seems like a bad idea to name the weapon in the title, given that a large part of the story is spent trying to figure out what the weapon was, and if there even was a murder to begin with. There is something sort of like Outsourcing in the book, but it's a red herring, so I'm not sure it belongs in the title either.

What I'm looking for in a title:
I like alliteration. I was thinking of Jane Austen when I picked my working title. I want a style which could be repeated in a sequel.

What I'm not looking for in a title:
I don't want to see the word 'Dead' or the phrase 'Death by ...' anywhere in the title. I'm quite sick of cute little puns, too.

The story, in a couple of lines:
Murder mystery set in modern Seattle. MC is a programmer and much of the story has to do with working in technology.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]