Author: Subject: Words of Awesomeness
Deineira
JulNo Writer

Mood: obsessed and spazzy

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley09.gif posted on 7-22-2008 at 10:05 PM
Words of Awesomeness

Okay, so I know everyone here has a favorite word. Unfortunately, all of my friends think I am extremely weird when I threaten to "fustigate," "exsanguinate," or "defenestrate" them. And, of course, whenever I go off on a tangent about pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis... well, they just about die. :rolleyes: Teenagers, you know?

Well, I thought I'd just put a thread out here for all of you freaky vocabulary nerds (trust me, nerdiness is a good thing). You can list your favorite words here, or you can use me like a thesaurus.... that's what my ignorant little friends do. I don't really care. Better than being used like a calculator, which happens too...

Anyhow, this is the thread where you can completely spazz out and discuss words of awesomeness. Or you can just talk about random stuff... your choice, you know?

\"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn\'t take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.\"

I have two hatchlings and four eggs now! Let them all live to see the light of day! Please don\'t give them soft-shell or anything, take care of them! I am getting really worried about the mint and black hatchlings and the purple and strangely-marked eggs! Save them!
Deineira
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 10:09 PM

So I'll start. As you might have noticed, my favorite words are very odd.

"Fustigate." Latin root - "fustum," meaning "club." Definition: to beat with a stick/club

"Exsanguinate." Latin root - "sangus," meaning "blood." Definition: to take the blood out of, literally; to stab

"Defenestrate." Latin root - "fenestra," meaning "window," plus "de," meaning "out of" or "down from." Definition: to throw out the window

"Triskaidekaphobia." Greek root - "tris," meaning "three," "kai," meaning "and," "deka," meaning "ten," and "phobos," meaning "fear." Definition: fear of the number 13

"Sesquepedalian." Latin root - "sesque," meaning "one and a half," plus "ped," meaning "feet." Definition: one who uses words that are one and a half feet long; someone who uses words like "sesquepedalian."

Soon I'll update this post with my other favorite words, like those meaning "fear of beards" and "fear of turning into a pumpkin" (that is actually a word).

Teehee! :D

Oh, and Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a disease of the lung involving the inhalation of silica dust. How pleasant.

[Edited on 7 23,2008 by Deineira]

I am so glad that I am taking Latin. :D

[Edited on 7 23,2008 by Deineira]

\"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn\'t take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.\"

I have two hatchlings and four eggs now! Let them all live to see the light of day! Please don\'t give them soft-shell or anything, take care of them! I am getting really worried about the mint and black hatchlings and the purple and strangely-marked eggs! Save them!
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 10:30 PM

I'm not a teen, sorry! I just turned 20 monday, so close enough.
But I wanted to post in this thread!

"mendacious": given to or characterized by deception or falsehood or divergence from absolute truth

not that difficult of a word, but i like it so much because I took 4 years of latin over my academic career, and the latin word for liar is "mendax". so when i first came across this word, i was like "I KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!"

sanguine: having the bodily conformation and temperament held characteristic of such predominance and marked by sturdiness, high color, and cheerfulness (so, pleasant person, neh?)
OR
bloodthirsty

I both loathe and love this word, because it can mean the exact opposite of itself. Asimov once used it to describe this space-ship captain, and I just stared at the sentence like "WTF?!?! what is the captain like?!" because even in context, it could mean the captain was this evil bloodthirsty guy, or this really amiable guy who was cheerful a lot.
NARGK! also, sangus = blood in latin, so another one of those words i knew b/c of latin. yay latin!

germane: relevant.
it just sounds so smart. people need to use it more. ^.^

JulNoWriMo 08: Listen, 76k

It\'s done, I wrote it, now I just have to type it up. -RDJ
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Hepburn
rebeldork
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Crossroads of Time

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 11:35 PM

neuralgia.

My winning word in a spelling bee in 8th grade. Plus it just brings such lovely images to mind. [/sarcasm]

purple_ink_pen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
JulNoWriMo Title: Z-Day

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 11:45 PM

'finite'- having limits, boundaries, or borders. Something which can be contained or measured. Not exactly massive, or nearly as amusing, but I'm rather fond of it.

A quick, pop culture note about the use of the word 'sanguine': In the TV series Firefly, the ironic double meaning of the word was used thusly:

Zoe: You sanguine about the kind of reception we're apt to receive on an Alliance ship, Cap'n?
Mal: Absolutely. [pauses] What's "sanguine" mean?
Zoe: "Sanguine". Hopeful. Plus, point of interest: it also means "bloody".
Mal: Well, that pretty much covers all the options, don't it?

Screnzy10: Guns Blazing (Win!)
NaNo08: Wirebreadth (Win!)
SeptNo08: Keepers of Glory- Winter Flowers (Win!)
AugNo08: Baked (Win!)
JulNo08: A Starless Sky (Win!)
SolNo08: Space Piracy For Great Justice! (Working Title) (Win)
Screnzy07: Smoke Rings (Win)
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 11:51 PM

I KNOWS IT WAS IN THE AWESOME SO OF AWESOME!

Deineira
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 09:30 AM

Wow. Lots of replies, today...

So, you took Latin, too? Yippee!

I saw this sentence in like Cambridge III, it was like: "Ursae, lupae, et poetae resident in sylvam." Bears, wolves, and poets live in the woods...

Latin is awesome! Claudius Pulcher, rock on!

That reminds me of another favorite word, "pulchritudinous," meaning "very prettiful." Comes from Latin "pulcher" meaning "beauty."

Claudius Pulcher was a prophet guy in the middle of a war. He was on this ship, and there were these sacred chickens, and he was supposed to be "reading the chickens" or something. Well, they wouldn't eat, which was a sign of some sort... so Mr. Claudius here takes the chickens and throws them off the side of the ship, saying, "If they won't eat, then let them drink," in Latin, of course.

Say, awesomest Alba Longan name ever: Mettius Fufetius. Real person.... really mean parents.

I am so off track... I'll stop now. Thanks for the words of awesome, they are so completely awesome! Yippee for y'all!

Oh, and Pliny, I don't care if you are twenty. Post anyway. That is an order. ;)

Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 09:57 AM

aqua est male. aqua est per animale.
vino est optime. vino est per vir.

my grammar is a little off, it's been 2 years since i've taken anything and i've taken 4 years of italian now too so i get all confuzzled.
point is, that was my favorite section in the cambridge II book. ^.^ i was in 7th grade and it made me giggle a lot.
oh, that and:
tacte pultessimus servus, quod stultor quam asine!

kekekeke. i used to shout that at my little brother.

wait, were we talknig about english words? um....

nonetheless. it's not that cool, i know. but it is formed because those three words are used so often in conjunction that it became its own word.

i....i wanted to study linguistics for about 3 years.
go away! *hides in a corner*

rebeldork
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Crossroads of Time

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 10:34 AM

My German teacher knows Latin (as well as about every other language in existence, including Sanskrit O.o ) and he said that the logo on the shield of the HP books translates to "A Sleeping Dragon Is Not To Be Tickled". Heehee. :)

Deineira
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 11:11 AM

Pliny - yeah, Italian really can screw up your Latin. So, water is bad and wine is superb? Interesting...

Yes, "draco dormiens nunquam titillandus," means "a sleeping dragon is not to be tickled." Odd.

One of my friend's sisters likes to say, "Cur me vexas?" ("Why are you annoying me?")

I really like this loose, word-for-word saying, "Semper ubi sub ubi," meaning, "Always where under-where." "Ubi" means "where," not "wear," so it is just based on the sounds. My teacher came up with it to help us remember what ubiquitous means.

Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 11:30 AM

yeah, i concur with deiria, that's the correct translation. our latin club at my college actually read through the latin version of harry potter.
"harrius potterus"
that's right.
i own the latin version of the first two harry potter books.
i am NOT a nerd!

ubiquitous is one of my fave words! hehehe.
and my latin teacher liked to make us talk about her cat, marcus aurelius, and conjugate those words. i'm not sure how that was supposed to help...
but we did have awesome chants for remembering the conjugations.
o or m, s ,t ,mus tis nt!!! o or m, s t, mus tis nt!!!
i isti it, imus istis erunt!!!!
see, me saying them in rhythm really doesn't translate on the internet. but trust me, there's a whole beat and stuff.

Deineira
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 11:40 AM

Dominus et domina Dursley... yeah, I own "Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis" at home. See, I'm not a nerd either!

We had chants, too. a ae ae am a a ae ae arum is as is a is! o or m, s, t, mus, tis, nt.

Your teacher's cat's name is Marcus Aurelius???

Yeah, we translated Harry Potter also...

dronology
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deineira

That reminds me of another favorite word, "pulchritudinous," meaning "very prettiful." Comes from Latin "pulcher" meaning "beauty."

I knew that one from this phrase from Aquinas (Joyce mentioned it in either "Ulysses" of "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"):

"Ad pulcritudinum tria requiruntur. integritas, consonantia, claritas." (For beauty, three things are required: wholeness, harmony, and radiance)

I really don't have a huge personal lexicon of Anglicized Latin words, though.
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 12:49 PM

well, one of my problems due to latin is that i say "omni-potent" instead of "omnipotent", because i know the word because of the latin parts. i pronounce lots of words weird because of latin...

Deineira
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 04:49 PM

Yeah, well try taking both Spanish AND Latin, which is what I am doing. That can get difficult.

Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 03:36 PM

accrue: to come about as a natural growth, increase, or advantage.
ex: i accrue vacation time through my work.
i just read it in the first lemony snicket book (i'm tutoring a 6th grader, we're reading it together) and i remembered how awesome of a word it is. because, you can totally use it to spice up your boring sentences. it's easy, and usable, but gets X4 intelligence to your sentence.
or should i say, your sentence accrues x4 intelligence due to this word? *snicker snicker*:D

Deineira
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-25-2008 at 08:58 AM

teehee! I like that word...

Deineira
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-25-2008 at 04:27 PM

Hello, I am posting randomly. Just wanted to say whoa at how many people in this world have weird, random favorite words. Yippee for sesquepedalians!

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]