Author: Subject: Who's continuing?
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley05.gif posted on 7-21-2008 at 07:07 AM
Who's continuing?

Who's continuing into next month? Where do you think your story will be at the end of the month, and how do you know how far you have to go? What's your word count goal overall?

Me, I see ending the month with the fantastic death of the character Marilian, who is right now such a pain in the @$$ to my MC that she needs to die. Overall, I'm looking to make this into a fantasy trilogy, which means this volume is going to have to clock out around 140,000 words. O.o I'm going to need a lot of creativity to come up with enough story to carry it that far. At least I know how it ends, so I just have to create the buildup.

Just out of curiosity, anyone done Nano during college? How hard is it to juggle novel-writing with classes? I'm hoping I have enough time to set aside for it, but you never know until you get there.

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
twiggy_trippit
JulNo Writer

Mood: Yay! JulNo! :)

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 07:49 AM

I won't be writing as much, but I want to continue and finish my novel. I'm having a lot of fun doing JulNo, and it reminds me that I need writing in my life to be happy.

I ditched my job to flee to Labrador and do JulNo, so I'm having a pretty easy time doing it (procrastination, Barnabas the Puppy, and my boyfriend are my worst enemies right now, not time constraints ;) ). I think it's feasible even if you go to school full-time, but if you also have to work, that might be too much.

Novel synopsis:

\"Elliott is teenager growing up in a fictional, futuristic fascist state, where war and soldiering are glorified, and where dissidents and criminals are sent to reeducation camps for torture and brainwashing. Aware of his own homosexuality, for which he doesn\'t even have a name except for Criminal against Nature and Nation, Elliott runs away from his small-town home to the City. He\'s heard through illegal Network data that there are clandestine gangs of youth like him providing each other with care, love, and foster, and he travels there in the wild hope of living more than shame, terror, and loneliness.

It\'s a dark and scary, warm and smutty tale of rebellion of those who lust for freedom and each other, pitted against those whose only high is to reduce others to powerlessness. \"
sylvrilyn
so many ideas, so little time

Mood: fed up
JulNoWriMo Title: Stones, Pt. II

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 08:53 AM

I tried NaNo twice during grad school. Once I crashed and burned, and the other time it was a breeze...so based on my experience, there's no telling till you try.

"A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places." -- Paul Gardner

amandalynn125
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 09:33 AM

I'm doing Augno and trying to decide if I will both continue my Julnovel and start an original novel. My Julnovel had an atrociously long start, so I'm behind plot-wise but not word count-wise. I'm going to try to hit 50K a few days early so I can have time to plan my Augnovel. It uses all the research I did for my Julnovel, so at least that part's done...

Now I just need characters, a POV, a beginning and a middle--I know the climax and the ending.

Rather Be Sledding
JulNo Writer

Mood: Slightly crispy with a gooey center
JulNoWriMo Title: Cubicle Commandos

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 10:19 AM

I might try NaNo this year, after the successful run for JulNo. Although, I'm not sure which story I want to pursue, the follow up to The Dreaming Dragon or a screenplay I wanted to write about 7 years ago.

I will be attempting with a 4 class load and a full time job in November, but having a few friends in on it (and now it gets personal with the fun of egging each other on). I say it can be done, but it depends on class load (and the type of teacher) and other outside influences.

...and how much sleep you really need :)

JulNo08: The Dreaming Dragon (working title)
JulNo10: Really going to finish The Dreaming Dragon (still working title)
JulNo11: Cubicle Commandos
JulNo12: Unknown
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/803796/the_typewriter_song/
HumanoidCarbonUnit
JulNo Member

Mood: Contento

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 10:32 AM

I'll probably keep writing my story if it needs to be finished but I'm not going to be doing AugNo. I need a bit of a break to let my brain think of a new half plot that I like for NaNo. Plus I'm very busy in AugNo.

--
JulNo \'08 Title: A Great Mess (working title)
Body Count: 1
Opera References: 13
All Nighters pulled: 8
Rossiter
decked out in palm trees

Mood: cursing time zones
JulNoWriMo Title: The Mysterious Affair of the Global Consequences

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 12:29 PM

Nano during college is easier than Nano during high school...and you only need less than an hour a day if you're a halfway decent typist.

I don't know if I'll have finished this story by the end of the month, but either way I'm doing Augno. I have something new I really want to start.

amandalynn125
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
and you only need less than an hour a day if you're a halfway decent typist.

That's assuming you know exactly what you're going to write that day and you're just recording it. I type about 80 wpm, but I only write 300-500 words an hour because I'm pantsing it most of the time.

Rossiter
decked out in palm trees

Mood: cursing time zones
JulNoWriMo Title: The Mysterious Affair of the Global Consequences

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 01:39 PM

1.7k is usually going to be one scene, and I think most people have 5-10 minutes during the day where they can run through a mental outline. It wouldn't be recording it, exactly, but 30wpm should be doable, right? Especially with the whole "quantity over quality" Nano thing and a couple of word wars?

thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 02:33 PM

I actually have a plan, and (you guys are going to laugh at it) I think it might work as long as my roommate is cooperative (we've been friends for years, I hope I'm not being too optimistic about him).

I was going to get up at 5:00 am and write till 7:00 am. That would (hopefully) give me enough time to grab breakfast, hit the gym, and shower before my first class at 9:25 am. I have a nice little watch with an alarm on it, so I was hoping I could get up and type without waking him up. Credible at all?

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
Vulpine_Wolf
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 02:43 PM

This plot is trying to turn into a comic, so next month I'm going to start working on that to see how feasible it is.

veda
JulNo Writer

Mood: Hopeful that AugNo will bring many more words. :D

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 04:04 PM

My novel wants desperately to be a trilogy, or, *collapse*, a series (I don't know if I'm ready for that O.O ). So, AugNo is going to be complete with myself, trying desperately to keep up my word count and not let this story get too out of control. I think I've created a monster, literally.

And then, there is the idea that my mostly-annoying husband gave me, which I can't wait to write... NaNo, maybe?

I'm going to get a lot of writing done this year. I'm excited. :D

Weiland = <3

JulNo08: Doppelganger
Body Count: 9
Inhuman Creatures: 5
Sex Scenes: 2.3
Waking Nightmares: 2.2
Mind Link Injuries: 1
Weird Subplots: 4
Loose Ends: 3
Author Epiphanies: 2
Muse Revolts: 4

---
NaNo07: Techy love story, unfinished and despised.
Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thepianist2008
I actually have a plan, and (you guys are going to laugh at it) I think it might work as long as my roommate is cooperative (we've been friends for years, I hope I'm not being too optimistic about him).

I was going to get up at 5:00 am and write till 7:00 am. That would (hopefully) give me enough time to grab breakfast, hit the gym, and shower before my first class at 9:25 am. I have a nice little watch with an alarm on it, so I was hoping I could get up and type without waking him up. Credible at all?

I'm not going to laugh at you, but I have to ask: do you have a routine like this set up already? If not, it's not going to stick in college. NaNo during college for me was MUCH easier than in high school, but, my writing always came in short 10-30 minute spurts in between classes, rehearsals, practicing, meetings, and meals.

Overall, you'll find that you'll have more time in college [and plenty of great plans and intentions for that time, like going to the gym!] but you end up busier and more tired. Sleep in one morning [Saturdays / Sundays] and the waking up early to accomplish things is shot. It's a bummer, but that's how it worked for all of my friends.

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by x__hypocampus
Quote:
Originally posted by thepianist2008

I'm not going to laugh at you, but I have to ask: do you have a routine like this set up already? If not, it's not going to stick in college. NaNo during college for me was MUCH easier than in high school, but, my writing always came in short 10-30 minute spurts in between classes, rehearsals, practicing, meetings, and meals.

Overall, you'll find that you'll have more time in college [and plenty of great plans and intentions for that time, like going to the gym!] but you end up busier and more tired. Sleep in one morning [Saturdays / Sundays] and the waking up early to accomplish things is shot. It's a bummer, but that's how it worked for all of my friends.

My birthday is the first week of November (the 7th), and then I have a week of final exams during the second week. All my NaNo writing (should I choose to do it this year), will come during my 2-week Thanksgiving vacation. (And maybe some during the first two weeks.)

Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 08:48 PM

I'm gonna probably finish the novel by the end of the month, and then all of august I'm spending editing and making others read it and edit it and then edit it some more.

JulNoWriMo 08: Listen, 76k

It\'s done, I wrote it, now I just have to type it up. -RDJ
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Hepburn
ace-of-wands
JulNo Member

Mood: defeated

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 09:56 PM

I think that NaNoWriMo is one of the things my future room mate is going to hate me for if I'm not quiet about it. I do my best NaNo-ing either late a night or at oh-shit-o'clock in the morning. But on the bright side, that means that I won't be worrying about it during day light hours where I have... you know, classes. I'll have a part time job to factor in too. But somehow this all seems doible to me because it's what I've always done when November comes around. Eh, it will be an experiment, that much is a given. Hopefully it will be a success.

As for continuation of this JulNo. I don't really have an overall word count goal. If I could finally finish a story, that would be awesome. But on the flip side (and the more likely of these scenarios) if it's not done by the morning of August first, I'm going to shelve it and start something new.

\"6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
29. You\'re a Genius all the time \"
-- from \"Belief & Technique for Modern Prose\", by Jack Kerouac
Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 10:13 PM

*does the AugNo happy dance*

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
unholy confessions.
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ahaha!

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 07:12 AM

I doubt that I'll have mine totally finished by the end of July...but that's what AugNo is for ^^) Aha. So I'll work on it during August until it is finished, and I'll probably give in and start another story in between, too. I have some kind of unstoppable brain where I always start stories at the stupidest times possible, so I might as well add to the list and put it towards my word count xD :D

As for the end of my story, I see it around the 75k mark, but that's kind of just a random guess o_O

++
nissa-loves-cats
JulNo Member

Mood: defenestrated

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 10:21 AM

I'm going to be doing AugNo with this novel. If you wonder why, check my word count--- I've been averaging about 179 words a day, in part due to changing my main character twice and spending a part of my writing days doing an outline, since the story is more complex than I thought.

I almost thought of quitting JulNo to outline, but then I've learned a lot about my novel this month and I want to continue even though a lot of the words written may end up getting dumped before AugNo.

And after that, there's always NaNoCoMo--- National Novel Continuing Month, which happens every month. (There's a sidebar in my blog, The Lina Lamont Fan Club, that lists all the WriMos I know about plus NaNoCoMo) but you have to scroll through a lot of other stuff to find it. I'm pretty sure it's south of the flying monkeys.)

my blog: http://linalamont.blogspot.com

while you\'re out conspiring against me, could you pick me up something chocolate?
misslasagna
JulNo Writer

Mood: Stoked!

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 03:19 PM

I think my story will end around 65-70k, which means I will still be finishing it up in August, but hopefully after that I will be able to get down to editing it (left out a pretty important character quirk for the first five chapters...oops) and then maybe see about publishing...w00t

I think I will end the month in chapter nine or ten out of thirteen I have planned, which would put it right before the death of Aunt Emmy by lung cancer and deep into the throes of Ryan's eating disorder...not an altogether bad way to end the month, I suppose...:)

megs
--------
"You DO NOT growl at the love muffin!"

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5776.gif
JNathan
JulNo Member

Mood: Slogging

smiley11.gif posted on 7-23-2008 at 05:37 PM

I was using JulNoWriMo to start an epic four-book fantasy tetralogy (or quadrilogy, depending on if you prefer greek or latin), but realized yesterday that this story is superfluous in the grand scheme of things. It's basically backstory to the actual four books I want to write. (And yes, it's still four - I got an idea for one that wraps it up more neatly than I'd originally planned to.) What this all means is that I'm 43k into a book I know I'm going to drop. I'll write out a few more fun scenes I haven't gotten to yet because I really want to cross the finish line, but so far what I've gotten out of this month was: "The story you chose was unnecessary and boring." :D
nathan_p
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: The difference between you and me is that I'm not wearing hockey pads.

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 11:21 PM

I'm trying to finally kill this one, come hell or high water. Because I'm so tired of these characters, and if I have to keep plugging until January, I'll be half-dead and very disappointed.

I also have a NaNo planned, so... it would really harsh my mellow if I had to toss this one half-finished to turn my attentions to the NaNo (which, again, looks to be research-intensive -- I just don't learn, do I?).

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]