Author: Subject: Teaching a 15 Year Old To Read
HumanoidCarbonUnit
JulNo Member

Mood: Contento

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 06:05 PM
Teaching a 15 Year Old To Read

I've just found out that one of my characters can neither read or write, like most of his village. He comes from a village that is roughly like a village in the middle ages but was brought into this time. He and his two companions would like to learn how to read and write while they still have a chance at it. He and his companions are or reasonable intelligence and all speak English. Only problem is I have no idea how to go about this. I have a few questions.

-Would it be reasonable for him to not know anything about the alphabet since he was never exposed to reading until now?
-How long would it take him to learn to read/write at a 1st grade level? What about a 3rd? A 5th?
-He has ample time for studying. What would be some things he could use to learn while his teachers are out?

I pictured him watching something like Sesames Street but I don't know how well that would work. He really wants to learn, since he thinks it will help him win over his girlfriends father if he can write. Knowing this do you think he would be able to sit through younger children shows if it will help him learn or would they still drive him mad?

Anything else you have to add would be great too. Thanks a ton.
Roma
JulNo Member

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HumanoidCarbonUnit
I've just found out that one of my characters can neither read or write, like most of his village. He comes from a village that is roughly like a village in the middle ages but was brought into this time. He and his two companions would like to learn how to read and write while they still have a chance at it. He and his companions are or reasonable intelligence and all speak English. Only problem is I have no idea how to go about this. I have a few questions.

You're never too old to learn something new!XD

The most important ingredient is wanting to...!

I started learning English at age twelve, and Hebrew (totally strange alphabeth) at 24, so at 15 there's not really much of a problem.

Quote:
-Would it be reasonable for him to not know anything about the alphabet since he was never exposed to reading until now?
Yes, absolutely!

Quote:
-How long would it take him to learn to read/write at a 1st grade level? What about a 3rd? A 5th?

In the situation you've described, not very long.

Quote:
-He has ample time for studying. What would be some things he could use to learn while his teachers are out?
Posters, billboards, TV, newspapers, packaging, etc.

Quote:
I pictured him watching something like Sesames Street but I don't know how well that would work. He really wants to learn, since he thinks it will help him win over his girlfriends father if he can write. Knowing this do you think he would be able to sit through younger children shows if it will help him learn or would they still drive him mad?

It's all new to him so that might be okay, at first, but he'd outgrow SS a lot faster than small children normally do.

However, there are lots of remedial teaching materials available for older (semi-)illiterates, that his teachers would utilize.

Good luck to him and his mates! And to you with your story!

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

HumanoidCarbonUnit
JulNo Member

Mood: Contento

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for the help. Good luck to you too!:D

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]