Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LSD/acid trips
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 12:03 AM
LSD/acid trips

Anyone out there an expert at LSD and acid trips? I just need to know general stuff, like if someone could describe what one is like, what you feel like afterwards, side effects, that sort of thing. And maybe even like, the psychology that would lead up to taking LSD, or the social/academic/real world ramifications of using such a drug.
It doesn't necessarily have to be LSD, it could be shrooms or I think angel dust, I'm just looking for, in general, knowledge about hallucinogenic drugs.

JulNoWriMo 08: Listen, 76k

It\'s done, I wrote it, now I just have to type it up. -RDJ
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Hepburn
Ikasu
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 06:41 PM

It's definitely a change. Things become more vibrant, more real. Hallucinations are really more exaggerations of things around you; a leaf will become angry and 50x its normal size, pictures will wink and smile at you. Everything makes sense even though you understand that you're hallucinating. Synesthesia becomes common; you can 'feel' purple or see music, but again it all makes complete sense. The feelings are what sticks with you; the feeling of having experienced the extrasensory, and the vibrant makes life turn around. You're never quite the same after you take it, but you don't do a complete 180 unless you're in the run up to that point in the first place. You can't tell by someone's mannerisms that they've taken LSD. LSD is not addictive; the more often you take it, the less you actually want to take it.

Shrooms are about in the same vein, trails and waves in your vision are common. It has a more organic feel to it; I notice a lot more Lilliputian hallucinations (you feel really really small or really really big) than anything else. A comparable amount is less intensive than LSD would be.

PCP is a dissociative, which means that you get 'lost' in your own mind while the outside world seems to disappear. Other drugs like PCP include Ketamine (commonly substituted for ecstasy because it's cheaper and easier to obtain, although it feels COMPLETELY different) which I haven't taken. The only dissociative I HAVE taken is legal and probably in your medicine cabinet; DXM, or dextromethorphan, is found in cough syrups and cough gelcaps at your local grocery store. After buying a cough medicine that contains ONLY dextromethorphan (other additives include acetaminophen, or Tylenol, also known as paracetamol, which taken in dosages higher than 3-4grams can cause liver pain and irreversible liver damage, and guafinesin, an expectorant that makes you throw up in high doses) you can pick a dosage that corresponds to the effects you want to feel.

DXM is probably the most versatile hallucinogen because of it's bizarre effects that result from its metabolite, dextrorphan, which is also psychoactive but has a completely different set of effects. There are four plateaus. Dosage amounts can be found in the DXM FAQ which is the first thing that should come on a google search for it.

The first plateau is weak but enough to make your night fun; it makes music sound a lot better, you 'feel' probably a little tipsy, a little bit more social. Very simple, not very dangerous, not many side-effects.

The second plateau is simply an expanded first plateau, you notice a real shift in consciousness, touching and feeling things and your own body is very pleasurable, moving around feels fantastic and dancing to music is amazing. You retain sociability but you might be a little bit "drunk", if you want to call it that.

Then third plateau is where it starts to shift to a full-on hallucinogen. You start to feel displaced, the good feelings of music tend to fade away as the dosage gets higher, and your vision becomes very choppy, as if you're watching a movie with an extremely low framerate (moving your eyes from side to side becomes very fun) You sort of have tunnel vision. You can hallucinate feelings, you see trails and waves on surfaces, things become wavy or alive, often described as breathing. You can still communicate, but your speech may be impaired because of irrational thoughts and speech errors. Driving becomes truly unsafe.

The fourth plateau is the granddaddy, where things can become spiritual. You will not be active, you will not be socializing. It becomes difficult to see and walk, and for many portions of the trip you are effectively blind. I took a shower during a fourth plateau trip and had an out of body experience; I was watching myself sitting down in the shower from inside the wall, and all of the sound was digitized (think the matrix code sound, which is actually digital manipulation of raindrops against a window)
When I got out of the shower I sat in my room and looked at the window, which became larger and larger and rose higher into the sky. I looked down at my cupped hands in the pitch black room and lowered my head into them, which felt like dropping through a tunnel at the speed of light. I could move my head back up and repeat. Eventually I just sat there and meditated, looking at things. Things began to shift; the laws of physics rearranged themselves before my very eyes as my body contorted along with the rest of my surroundings. I was vibrating.

High doses will cause hangovers which are basically the gradual dropping of a whatever plateau trip to the plateaus before it until you have metabolized all of the psychoactive substances, which could take days. After that particular trip I had a second and first plateau hangover for most of the next day.

Then there are the deliriants, the most dangerous of drugs with hallucinogenic properties, because technically you aren't hallucinating. Everything you experience is felt to you as real because you quite literally go into delirium, a state of insanity and delusion which feels exactly like dreaming, except you are awake. The most easily obtained deliriant is dyphenhydramine, otherwise known as Benadryl, which is an antihistamine used for allergies and as a sleeping medication (also called Unisom and a million other names). Interestingly enough, drugs like Claritin and Zyrtec were developed to prevent the deliriant effects of Benadryl, but Benadryl remains useful nonetheless.

Low doses of Benadryl will not put you out. You will feel tired (hence its use as a sleeping pill) because of its anticholergenic properties, which mean that acetylcholine receptors in your brain and muscles will not function efficiently. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter responsible for muscle movement, which explains the general feeling of heaviness that your limbs accrue as the dosage of Benadryl increases. Walls start to breathe or become alive with transparent fuschia and green swirls. Moving about is fun, and you are for the most part drunk. It really does feel a lot similar to being drunk.

At higher and higher doses, the anticholergenic effects start to affect the brain more and more, at first causing deficits in short-term memory and then moving on to an inability to concentrate on anything for any sustained amount of time. As the dosage increases you become more and more 'asleep'. You will talk to people that aren't there and are completely unable to recognize that they are hallucinations. Completely impossible scenes play out in your head and you can't distinguish them from reality, and if you're unlucky you might even act them out or start blurting out things from your delusions, a clear giveaway that something is wrong. The antihistamine means that you start to have temporary urinary problems (you might think you need to pee, but you really don't, or you might lose fine control over the bladder which leads to small amounts of urine released once you're already away from the bathroom) and you have a very dry mouth. Failing to drink water will leave to a hangover just like that caused by alcohol. If you're lucky, you can have very short bursts of lucidity that require effort to sustain, but overall it is simply NOT FUN and only worthwhile for introspection.

Your hallucinations will always have aspects of your everyday life; you'll speak to friends from highschool or parents or family members. You see things moving out of the corner of your eyes. Too much (it takes a fair amount, probably more than what's in a regular bottle of sleep gels) will have you simply pass out, comatose until your body metabolizes enough and then you will be so tired that you will just remain asleep. Side-effects persist into the next day.

The granddaddy of deliriants would be Datura, a plant that grows all over the United States for decorative purposes. Eating seed pods (or just seeds) leads to an even more intense experience. Trip reports on sites like erowid.com are almost invariably disasters; people commonly end up in the hospital or in the case of one unlucky individual, three states away in someone's house, bleeding and covered in his own feces. This drug ruins lives.

That's just a sampling of the huge number of hallucinogenic drugs there are to experiment with; some are completely harmless, some can do a lot of psychological or physical damage during the trip. For the most part, assuming nothing happens the brain recovers fully from these drugs, but long-term use may have potentially damaging effects and no studies have really shown whether or not some of these drugs can cause physical ailments.
Pliny
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 06:50 PM

Wow that is so useful! Thanks bunches, this is really gonna help me out next section. Here are lots of smiley faces for your help: :D:D:D:D:D

on this same vein, now that i'm thinking about the plot of the next section and how it will go, can someone tell me a little bit about pot? i know the basics but i'd just like to make sure i have all my facts relatively straight.

that's right, i am really that white-bread.

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by Pliny]

JulNoWriMo 08: Listen, 76k

It\'s done, I wrote it, now I just have to type it up. -RDJ
Life is hard. After all, it kills you. -Hepburn
unholy confessions.
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ahaha!

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 01:42 AM

If we're on the topic of drugs, could I just pop in and ask a quick question? Admittedly it's not for my JulNo story, but I've asked on yahoo answers a few times and haven't got the kind of answers I've needed.

Basically, I just want to know a bit about cocaine. My MMC in another story is addicted, but he has to give it up. I've looked up some of the side effects and withdrawal symptoms, but what kind of extremes would they be to, roughly? Would they be noticeable to everyone, or just those closest to him? I know it would probably depend on the person, but...yeah. I'd say he'd be a fairly heavy user? Most likely he'd have some every day or second day.

And how long would the withdrawal symptoms last for after he stopped using the drug? I know these are a lot of questions, but yeah xD :D

++
D.N.Lyons
JulNo Member

Mood: waiting....X3

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 08:57 PM

Popping in---

Does anyone know about the effects of opium? I hear it relaxes you.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]