Author: Subject: Who should I kill?
Daltanimal
JulNo Member

Mood: Need to start writing...

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley07.gif posted on 7-10-2008 at 01:09 PM
Who should I kill?

I had a look at FightAgainstSymmetry's poll, and it made me realize--I have a killing problem as well.

Zender is seventeen, about to become an adult. He's a really nice guy--very friendly, very kind, very loving. He's in love with one of his best friends, Melli, and she is in love with him, but he doesn't know it. And he's my MC's best friend.

Lotus is almost sixteen, and has a whole lot of energy. She is pretty shy, but also very kind, and unwillingly involved in a terrible plot, which she doesn't really know. She's another of my MCs best friends.

Melli is almost seventeen, and she is madly in love with Zender. She doesn't talk much, but she is very outgoing. She is Lotus' main source of comfort, and my MC's third best friend.

Who should I kill?

[Edited on 7-13-2008 by Daltanimal]

If I were a dog, I\'d be a Schnauzer
rebeldork
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Crossroads of Time

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 02:43 PM

Melli. You could have WAY too much fun with the other two after her death.

Lotus seems like she comes with a lot of potential, especially if maybe she does realize somewhere in there that she's involved in this "terrible plot" and decides that the risks are too high for herself to get out of it - so she willingly works for the enemy. I think that sounds like a fascinating subplot :D

It would be interesting to see the reaction of this supposed "nice guy", Zender, after his beloved's death. You could play around with that :)

As you can tell, I'm all for screwing up relationships and plot devices! Haha :) I love to write the worst in people.

FightAgainstSymmetry
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 04:47 PM

Idea theif :P

Melli seems to be a more important character, so it would have more of an impact if she died.

\"Take a chance! Take your shoes off, dance in the rain!\"

thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 04:39 PM

If you haven't done it yet, Lotus may not die. Her terrible plot is probably the only thing that could drive your story. If you killed her, you'd just be left with a boy likes girl, girl likes boy, they figure it out and fall in love, end of story. Boooooooooorrrrrring! If you're feeling really odd, you can kill off Zender and have a growing lesbian relationship, but it'll probably be easier to kill of Melli and then Zender can have those wonderful confused feelings because he's fallen in love with Lotus so quickly. But, now, reading your post again, that won't work. The relationship has to include your MC. Some people might not agree, but, come on, who cared that much when Hermione and Ron got together? Big deal. But when Harry and Ginny got together? That was good, because Harry was the MC, and because we care about his feelings first. After all, we saw the world through his eyes. I'd have to know more about your story to really answer. Your MC's connection to these isn't clear. It's not enough to say 'best friend'. How do they relate to the plot, who's instrumental, who will serve a purpose later on so that it's best they don't die? I'd also recommend prolonging it as long as possible. You're 6000 words in. That's not enough for a reader to fall in love with a character. You have to do a lot of work to build the relationship between the reader and the character if the reader's going to feel any grief. And then you have to milk that scene for everything it's worth. J.K. Rowling waited 6 books to kill Dumbledore, and he was beloved even after the first book. But it takes that long, it really does. I'd guess that only half ( if that many ) readers cried for Sirius that cried for Dumbledore. If a character's going to die, milk it for every last drop, and that includes the buildup. So I'll put in a vote for Melli, but there's more to consider. ;)

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
veda
JulNo Writer

Mood: Hopeful that AugNo will bring many more words. :D

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 02:30 AM

I voted Zender, because I don't like him already. lol

And I just wanted to comment on thepianist's post:

WHAT? Harry is the most egotistical, hero-status-striving, harsh, cruel little boy the literary world has ever known. And he's the biggest emo kid in the movie business right now... enough said. He whines, he cries, he makes a big deal out of everything; he's cryptic too regularly, he's annoyingly "independent", i.e. he thinks he could do it by himself but we all KNOW that if it weren't for Ron's dumb-dog loyalty, and Hermione's brains and skills, Harry would be a dead little brat by now. And Ginny is a boring, underdeveloped, Mary-Sue type character that I hoped would die at the end of CoS. I knew what would happen there, just as I knew (though I resisted) that Ron and Hermione would be together at the end. Talk about boring. lol I just pretend the last book didn't really happen so much... at least, the end bit.

....lol. But that's just MY opinion. Please feel free to disregard. XD

Weiland = <3

JulNo08: Doppelganger
Body Count: 9
Inhuman Creatures: 5
Sex Scenes: 2.3
Waking Nightmares: 2.2
Mind Link Injuries: 1
Weird Subplots: 4
Loose Ends: 3
Author Epiphanies: 2
Muse Revolts: 4

---
NaNo07: Techy love story, unfinished and despised.
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 08:22 AM

Say what you like, but Rowling made millions. Not many authors can say that. Most struggle to keep a living if they're full time, and the vast majority aren't full-time at all. She has no need to work. Not that that's a great thing, because I do believe there are better authors out there who are struggling to be out there ( Holly Lisle - my fav ). However, even then the story holds true. Your MC is who you and the reader view your world through. The important stuff must happen to him or her. Obviously there are exceptions, but is your skill enough to match Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's or Harper Lee's? Mine's not. :-/

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
veda
JulNo Writer

Mood: Hopeful that AugNo will bring many more words. :D

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 01:15 PM

Well, one must buy a book before reading and making a judgment on it in most cases, so book sales do not equal the overall love of the book. I realize she has had great reviews on all of her books, and I accept her as a very good writer. But sometimes, even the best writers make mistakes.

And there's always personal perception to take into account. Personally, I tend to root for the bad guys. I didn't want Voldemort to win, because I have morals and emotions and things, but I really thought that at least Harry would stay dead after destroying Voldemort. The ending was... squishy, like a child's teddy bear. Of course, I also realize that HP is technically a children's/YA series, but it got pretty dark there for a while for her to just happy it all up again.

Oh, and BTW, Albus Severus? Gag me. lol XD

Erm... and Daltanimal, have you killed anyone yet? :D

Weiland = <3

JulNo08: Doppelganger
Body Count: 9
Inhuman Creatures: 5
Sex Scenes: 2.3
Waking Nightmares: 2.2
Mind Link Injuries: 1
Weird Subplots: 4
Loose Ends: 3
Author Epiphanies: 2
Muse Revolts: 4

---
NaNo07: Techy love story, unfinished and despised.
Daltanimal
JulNo Member

Mood: Need to start writing...

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 04:34 PM

Thepianist:

I should probably update my word count...Melli does seem like the best to die, but Lotus is my MC's favorite of the three best friends. I would like to see the worst of him, but you are right that her plot is probably my plot as well....

Anyway, I'm thinking of Melli, although I'll have to build up a whole lot more love for her, since right now she's still just in the background, saying the occasional sentence...oof. I'll have to think.

Harry Potter is good. No contradiction.

If I were a dog, I\'d be a Schnauzer

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]