JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My beginning isn't working out, can I just skip to the end?
sunshinemusic
JulNo Member

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley02.gif posted on 7-8-2008 at 10:37 PM
My beginning isn't working out, can I just skip to the end?

I'm like, barely scraping in 1K at the moment and I'm trying to introduce my main character with all of his angsty goodness but there's alot of narrative, no dialogue so far, and there's a lot of things I'm trying to figure out about him that I didn't plan as yet. But I have the rest of the novel pretty much locked and I can write from the climax and downwards maybe to the end. Is it okay that I work from the middle to the end and then go back to the beginning?

Also, do you guys always start new chapters or just type and insert where you thinks chapters should start and end after a block of text?

JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 10:43 PM

I would say, this is your novel--so do whatever works for you. I've been mostly writing scene after scene in order, but I've jumped around a few times.

I'm using yWriter to organize my story, so it's already split up into different chapters and scenes.

shuichi
JulNo Member

Mood: loved

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 10:45 PM

I just got to 2287 (or somewhere around there), and it's going bleh now, too... I just start writing whichever I am anxious to write. I have one small scene (300 words?) written and that's like 30,000 words away from the one I'm at now. Write whatever you need to to get out words, even if it's an ending scene.
And just keep writing.. if you feel you can't introduce him, try another way.. like rewriting it but keep your other scene. Maybe you can incorporate the two and add a little to one, ya know?
sunshinemusic
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 10:45 PM

I've heard about that yWriter thing. But I'm afraid to install it because it's the family computer. Have you had any problems with it? It may help me out.

And I get you suichi. I suppose I can do that, eh? I do like how I introduced him though but he seems to be deeper than I wanted him to be and I have to do some more research on his personality before I can continue.

[Edited on 7-9-2008 by sunshinemusic]

JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 10:47 PM

No, and it's a really small download.

sunshinemusic
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 10:49 PM

Okay! That's reassuring then. :D I'll go Google it now then!

purple_ink_pen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
JulNoWriMo Title: Z-Day

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 11:09 PM

Write it however you want, girl! Boy? *Curses internet, and its thoughtless disregard of pronouns.* I usually end up writing out of order by accident, which causes my plot bunnies head aches and sends my Inner Editor into siezures of delight.

I use yWriter for my nonfiction works, my BOS, and my editing. I find it to restrictive for my wandering fictional work. I like a little room to breathe, and act a fool. *Thinks* It would probably make a great journaling tool, too. Hmmm...

Screnzy10: Guns Blazing (Win!)
NaNo08: Wirebreadth (Win!)
SeptNo08: Keepers of Glory- Winter Flowers (Win!)
AugNo08: Baked (Win!)
JulNo08: A Starless Sky (Win!)
SolNo08: Space Piracy For Great Justice! (Working Title) (Win)
Screnzy07: Smoke Rings (Win)
nathan_p
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: The difference between you and me is that I'm not wearing hockey pads.

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 11:12 PM

Your story. I was in kind of the same situation with mine, but I just broke through to the plot I have deadlocked. It was a struggle (and I only won last NaNo because of all the padding), but I made it.

I would ask: Do you want to win?

Yes? Then skip the boring parts and write the fun ones.

Finishing the book is more important? Write the boring parts, then the fun ones.
amandalynn125
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to introduce my main character with all of his angsty goodness but there's alot of narrative, no dialogue so far, and there's a lot of things I'm trying to figure out about him that I didn't plan as yet.

One of my writing books (and I wish I could remember which one) says to start the story where you think it begins and then cut the whole first page. I've never done that, but the idea is solid. Your goal should be to draw the reader in, and throwing the reader into the middle of the action forces him/her to keep reading so they can figure out what's going on.

Quote:
Then skip the boring parts and write the fun ones.

That's okay if you know all of your plot elements when you start, but personally I don't have my whole plot planned out yet. I have no idea how my characters are going to get from A to B, let alone from A to E. For me, the ending is my carrot on a stick--it motivates me to get the damn plot moving already so I can get there.

Katrina
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 10:27 AM

I have skipped to the end on occasion, or at least skipped to more interesting scenes. if it works, go for it.
lavendrin
JulNo Writer

Mood: wishing everybody would leave me alone so I could WRITE!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Hope's Luck

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 01:59 PM

Remember, sunshinemusic, there really is no end or beginning or middle, unless you start with your characters at birth, and even then, what about the parents and where They came from? If you find it tedious or boring to start with a whole lot of narrative, then it's OK to go on to where the action starts - that's what the readers are reading for, anyway. Then, you can add in bits of narrative when you need it, so you won't lose the readers.

Vulpine_Wolf
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 02:05 PM

I tend to write as much as I can in order and then start bouning around the time line. It certinally couldn't hurt for you to try it.

As for chapters I try to write it all as one story and then split it into chapters later. I would usally leave a note saying *Chapter break here?* or *This would be a good cliffhanger* It's Something which I've abandioned this time around, apparently useing song lyrics for chapter titles gives me plot bunnys, and boy do I need them :rolleyes:

ace-of-wands
JulNo Member

Mood: defeated

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 01:44 AM

In recent stories I've begun jumping around. When I have the inspiration to write a scene, a scene that I know will some how fit into the grand scheme of the story, I write it because later, when I actually get to it on the timeline chances are I won't want to write it and it will come out like shit.

During WriMos I split the story into chapters were there's an extended break in time, like months, or when there's a crest of tension (a mini-climax). Then when I go back to edit I rebreak it up if the need arises.

\"6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
29. You\'re a Genius all the time \"
-- from \"Belief & Technique for Modern Prose\", by Jack Kerouac
Zahra
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 11:36 AM

I tried to do that once, write every scene in order, but I couldn't really work that way. I just write what I feel like and then I go back and fill in the details and missing pieces. It works for me. :)
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 03:46 PM

sunshinemusic: Your inner editor seems to be hanging around where he/she shouldn't be. Tell him to get back or you'll pull out a pistol and fire a few warning shots into his/her head! The whole point of doing 50k in a month is to get a first draft done. Afterwards, you go back and edit. I don't think you should jump around, because it would be much harder to revise a block of swiss cheese than just a normal story. You'll get lazy when it comes to the rewrite and it won't happen (I'm assuming you're human, please correct me if I'm wrong). We're all writing crap here just as much as we're writing gems. I just slogged through a scene that involved a tour of my spellcasters' workstation when I don't even understand fully how magic works in my novel. The point is, it doesn't matter how deep your character is, or whether you're introducing him in the best way. What matters is that you wrote it.

In the words of somebody else: "Don't get it right, get it written!"

Another thing: if a part is boring for you as the writer, it will for sure be boring for the reader!

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
sunshinemusic
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 11:32 PM

I get ya. Thanks guys. I have an inner editor that needs to be shot when it comes to WriMo-ing and she/he won't leave me alone. >.<

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]