Penhaligon29
JulNo Member

Mood: Exhilarated
JulNoWriMo Title: CYLCER

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 10:29 AM
Publishing??

Are any other teens out there planning on publishing their book? I have high hopes for mine. My book is the second book in a series called PARADISE LOST. I'm currently working on the first book and plan to have the first draft done by July so that I can write book 2 for JulNo. I'm planning on polishing off book 1 after JulNo while I finish off my JulNo with NaNoCoMo and polish of my JulNo during NaNo when I begin work on the third book. Then I'll go back in and finish off the second drafts and then the third draft, and the fourth draft (if necessary) and then either submit to an agent or self-publish. I'll most likely self-publish the series. Well, there's my plan for my series. Any other crazy dreamers like me out there?
Pinky Green
JulNo Member

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 03:23 AM

Yeah I kind of want to do that too, although I'm going to write my story for JulNoWriMo this year.
Maroon
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-10-2008 at 10:50 PM

Yeah, I've always wanted to. My goal is to be a published writer before my 21st birthday.
You've already written a book? Congrats! :-)

\"You only fail when you stop writing.\" -- Ray Bradbury
lavendrin
JulNo Writer

Mood: wishing everybody would leave me alone so I could WRITE!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Hope's Luck

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 11:01 AM

Penhaligon29, you sound like you've an armful of work to do! :D I can't do that much, I'm too lazy. But I am planning on publishing. I'm currently working on a rewrite of one of my wrimo novels and am planning to finish the whole thing by the end of the summer. I'm hoping to see the beautiful, gleaming horizon of multiple rejections by late fall. But for now, all I see is that huge stack of paper, which is my crappy rough draft :). Good luck Pen! With determination, you can do anything!
rebeldork
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Crossroads of Time

[*] posted on 6-18-2008 at 12:23 PM

I'd love to do that. Right now I'm debating whether I should write the story I think would be most likely to get published, taking my time and doing a good job of it, or if I should just have fun and do JulNo. :)
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-19-2008 at 10:52 AM

I'd love to have one of my stories published one day. For now I'm using WriMo's as a sort of practice exercise and doing it for fun more than anything. No pressure that way. No need to attempt perfection. :)

~ ♥ ~
TheRadishHead
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 01:41 PM

Id like to publish one day, I got too much on my plate to worry about it right now. I write for the fun of writing.

Penhaligon29 is your series any correlation to the actual book Paradise Lost by.....oh god I forgot.
BregoBeauty
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: FATAL TARGET: A J. Carter & Associates Novel

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 10:10 AM

TheRadishHead -- You're thinking of John Milton, I believe, who wrote "Paradise Lost", which I want to say is an epic poem.

As for publishing -- write what you want to write, not what you think will sell. Don't worry about the selling stage when you're writing. Worry about how to sell it after you've written it.

Penhaligon29 -- I recommend against self-publishing. You're better off querying agents and trying to get a real publishing contract. I can understand wanting to have a copy of your own book in your hand, but self-publishing is kind of a rip-off and works against you if you ever do want to get published by a publishing house in the future.

But you're not the only crazy dreamer out there. I'm working on a series myself, which doesn't really have a title, but centers around one main family. It's not a family saga, but it features a father who used to be an assassin who now is a multi-millionaire and runs a technology company (along with a shady semi-assassination company on the side) and is married to the woman he loved back in high school. Jackson had two daughters who never met him until they were in their late teens. The series more or less focuses on his daughters and how his past complicates their lives. Some of the stories I'm co-writing with another teen.

I've been trying to get published for a year. It's a big commitment, trying to get published. Summer's pretty much the only time I have to send out queries. My advice is to have your work as polished as possible before you start trying to get published. And remember, rejection is not your enemy. It doesn't necessarily mean your writing is bad -- it could mean they're not looking for new work, it's not the genre they represent, etc.

And while you're trying to get published -- keep writing. That's the best thing you can do for yourself. The first book you finish might not be the one that gets published first -- it not even ever get published. Just keep writing and keep trying. :D

If anyone has an questions about publishing/agents/queries/etc., I'll try to answer them.

Take a chance, save a life... welcome to J. Carter & Associates.

JulNoWriMo '12 -- "Fatal Targt"
JulNoWriMo '11 -- "Double Shot"
JulNoWriMo '10 -- "Sole Survivor"
JulNoWriMo '09 -- "Coldest Degree"
JulNoWriMo '08 -- "Breaking Point"
writter_chick_94
JulNo Member

Mood: tired and excited
JulNoWriMo Title: lost of random novels...

[*] posted on 6-28-2008 at 11:17 AM

i AM going to be published. I'm excited. I have an editor editin gan re-writting my book at the moment and it shall be published soon. don't ask for the title because it doesn't have one yet. my editor and myself are working on the title....
rebeldork
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Crossroads of Time

[*] posted on 6-28-2008 at 11:28 AM

Oh, exciting, w_c_94. May I ask, who's publishing it? :) I'd be terribly excited, as I'm sure you are!

Sobriquet

Mood: Eager

[*] posted on 6-29-2008 at 01:10 PM

I had a short story published once. That was it. But then it wasn't a particularly good publication, so I don't make much of it. That's one of my only two writing achievements - the other being when I got a merit in the Nuneaton Festival of Arts way back in 2002... :D

But, anyway, writter_chick_94, what's your book about then? And when (ish) will it be out?

JulNo \'07: 59,557 words.
NaNo \'07: 52,452 words.
JulNo \'08: 53,556 words.
NaNo \'08: epic fail.
JulNo \'09: 19,949 words.
Ever since then? Eep, university.
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 10:25 AM

I have two rejection letters! Yay! ( kind of ) At least that means I've gotten my work out there. They're both for short stories. The first, "The Temple of Dark Magic" was crap, and it got rejected by Leading Edge Magazine. I haven't made any more efforts on that one. The second, "Talaran" got rejected from Realms of Fantasy, and I just got that today. It was stupid of me to send my first story out to a big magazine. I'm going to get that around to my friends and hopefully get some good critiques. Then I'll polish it up again and look for a less prestigious magazine. They probably didn't even read the whole thing, I have no credits to my name, and it was a horrible cover letter. I was going to send it back out to another today, but I want to put more effort into it first.

Next up for editing is "Faith is the Key" which I finished last Sunday. I'm going to start work on revising it this coming Sunday, so hopefully I can be impersonal about it. Then, that one goes out to friends for input, and then it's time to do the magazine search again.

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
Penhaligon29
JulNo Member

Mood: Exhilarated
JulNoWriMo Title: CYLCER

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 04:44 PM

My book has nothing to do with the original Paradise Lost, I titled it nd then I remembered that. Mine centers around Atlantis and the first book is about the four teens who can raise it from the waters (the kids are called Guardians) trying to find each other. I'm not going to be able to finish the first draft of Book 1 before JulNo, but I know where I'm going to end it, so I'm going to go ahead and write the second book (Twilight Warriors). 6 more hours till JulNo!

\"The price of love is loss, but still we pay. We love anyway.\"-\"Light\" from \"Next to Normal
Sobriquet

Mood: Eager

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 09:56 AM

Its just difficult to get a novel published, isn't it? You have to make a name for yourself, and then find yourself a literary agent, and then you might end up with a publisher who wants to change half of your novel.

As wonderful as it would be, I'm not sure I'm ready yet.

JulNo \'07: 59,557 words.
NaNo \'07: 52,452 words.
JulNo \'08: 53,556 words.
NaNo \'08: epic fail.
JulNo \'09: 19,949 words.
Ever since then? Eep, university.
BregoBeauty
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: FATAL TARGET: A J. Carter & Associates Novel

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 10:02 AM

Yeha, most publishers won't look at your work unless you've got an agent, and getting an agent is a pain in the butt and requires a lot of business-type stuff (query letters, synopsis, etc depending on the agent) and a lot of waiting around to hear back. Once you have an agent, the agent contacts publishers. If you get a publishing contract, then you might have to start rewrites.

It's a lot of time. Sometimes it's easier just to work on writing than it is to work on publishing.

Take a chance, save a life... welcome to J. Carter & Associates.

JulNoWriMo '12 -- "Fatal Targt"
JulNoWriMo '11 -- "Double Shot"
JulNoWriMo '10 -- "Sole Survivor"
JulNoWriMo '09 -- "Coldest Degree"
JulNoWriMo '08 -- "Breaking Point"
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 11:26 AM

I hope to be published, or in the process of publishing, by the time I graduate from college. That gives me another 4 years. We'll see how it goes.

thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 05:32 PM

I'm with you, JS!

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
Daltanimal
JulNo Member

Mood: Need to start writing...

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 04:35 PM

Sure, I'd try. I feel a little ambitious and boastful saying that I'm trying to be published, though 8-)

If I were a dog, I\'d be a Schnauzer
Deineira
JulNo Writer

Mood: obsessed and spazzy

[*] posted on 7-25-2008 at 10:09 AM

I've had lots of published poetry, and my life's goal is to be a published author before 14... which gives me about a year or so. I have already finished several novels, and I know a couple of literary agents, so I think I am pretty much good. I am not publishing my JulNo, I don't think... I don't know.

\"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn\'t take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.\"

I have two hatchlings and four eggs now! Let them all live to see the light of day! Please don\'t give them soft-shell or anything, take care of them! I am getting really worried about the mint and black hatchlings and the purple and strangely-marked eggs! Save them!

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]