JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [11/24/14] Final Update!
JulNoWriMo
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: busy

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley15.gif posted on 11-25-2014 at 12:53 AM
[11/24/14] Final Update!

Note: This is a modified version of the newsletter being sent out via email over the next several days to all members subscribed to updates.

Hello fellow JulNo'ers.

It's hard to believe, but we've been taking over July with writing madness since 2005. What a wild ride these ten years have been.

Unfortunately, it is with immense sadness that I am writing this email, as it is a farewell email.

You may or may not have noticed, but JulNoWriMo's numbers have been decreasing quite dramatically over the past few years. Our must active year was in 2010, when we had 669 participants writing over 16,394,405 words. 182 winners. This past summer, we only had 90 writers key 2,963,411 words.

Camp NaNo was launched in July 2011, which has severely hurt our numbers since then. However, I'm positive that's not the only reason the popularity of JulNoWriMo has declined - there are other factors as well. I've simply not had the time to devote to promoting JulNoWriMo and improving the competition to attract more writers. Our web site hadn't had a major overhaul in years. The novelty of a "write a novel in a month" contest has worn off - it's been overdone by countless other competitions.

So, there will be no more "official" JulNoWriMo. What does this mean, exactly?
- No more regular emails from yours truly,
- The forum will be placed in an archived state, which means that new posts and new registrations will not be accepted, and
- Web site updates will be few and far between.

That being said, I do hope that you continue using the summer as a time to write feverishly. There are many web sites that can help you achieve your goals, such as the Writing Year forum over at http://wriye.proboards.com/

More importantly, I expect that diehard participants will continue writing and competing in JulNoWriMo amongst themselves. I fully intend on still using the JulNoWriMo account to promote the competition on Twitter. Please feel free to tweet along with the hash tags #JulNo or #JulNoWriMo during the month of July to encourage your fellow writers to beat their goal!

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments regarding this announcement, please reach out to me by replying to this email.

Wishing you the very best success in your current and future writing endeavors,
Robert

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]