PoppyWest
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: World Eater

Word Count: 4876 / 50000
Word Count Start10% Complete90% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 10:46 AM
World Eater

World Eater

So here's World Eater. I'm way excited to start work on it, and will hopefully have a few thousand words done by today.

This is a fanfic of Hugh Howey's "Half Way Home," done for a competition. I've never written a fanfic in my life-- or Sci Fi, for that matter! So I guess we'll see how this turns out.

I'll try to get an update out by tonight. ;)

PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 05:33 PM

I decided to follow in Midnightindigo's footsteps and post a picture~. This one's of Princeps Lysander, being a little grouse.

(His posture's all wooden because initially it was just gonna be a character sketch because I hadn't drawn him before today. ... :( And it's all smudgy because my eraser was stoleeeen. I can't believe I don't have a single eraser in this whole house!)

[Edited on 7-3-2014 by PoppyWest]

World Eater's in a competition, so please read and rate. I will love you forever <3 : World Eater
PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 09:34 PM

Finally got the outline for the prologue finished. Fourth of Julyyyy, how dare you distract me with your delicious BBQs and swimming poools!!

Prologue- We’ll Do it To Torment Them
Eugenia is a powerful ruling colony on Terra— and one of the biggest. Standing as a monolithic superpower, Eugenia sent out a colony to a faraway planet, Bethesda, and cultivated society there. Eugenia’s Imperator, Samaras, left to rule Bethesda, leaving his son, Lysander, to rule Eugenia at a young age. Unfortunately, the men Samaras left behind with Lysander had growing disdain for the boy.

Five years after the potential abortion of Micaloria, Samaras had been living on Bethesda for a year and Lysander was only fifteen. Antigone, an AI modeled after the personality of his deceased mother, Alexandria, had only been an AI for a year. She was new and unused to taking care of an entire colony. She was, however, the one to alert Eugenia’s consuls about the unidentified craft which was making its way through the orbital object field and towards Terra. The Eugenia Consulate elects to investigate, retrieving the craft. By this time it has come to Lysander’s attention, and the Princeps makes his presence well-known in the hangar as scientists started to retrieve what was inside.

A voice makes everyone take pause— a small, quiet “I have to go back. For the glory of the colony. I have to go back.”

Within, the scientists find the “payload,” the small manuscript Porter used to detail each and every aspect of the first few weeks of their survival. Lysander claims this artifact, demanding Antigone to communicate with the weak AI in the ship before leaving to be alone and read the story. After he’s finished, tracing Colony’s trajectory becomes imperative… and surprisingly easy, the scientists find, as Colony is dead set on finishing his mission—which is to say, delivering the knowledge of what he found on that nigh-aborted planet.

The prologue ends with Lysander, flying with men hand-picked by his consuls. Little does Lysander know, he’s flying with Terran turncoats.

World Eater's in a competition, so please read and rate. I will love you forever <3 : World Eater
Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 10:47 PM

I have no idea what Half Way Home is, but your story sounds fun! :D I love your cover and banner, as well as the drawing. :D

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 03:53 PM

Eee, thank you~. Jeezle, sorry, I took so long to get back here. I guess life got crazy!!

Here's an excerpt from World Eater. So that I actually feel like I'm doing something, haha:
“When are you going to have that book ready?”
“Hm?”
“The psychology book,” Tarsi said, one hand subconsciously rubbing her distended belly. “I keep telling the kids you’ll be by one day to teach them about it.” She flashed a radiant smile. “They’re excited. They don’t exactly understand what it is, but they know it’s about brains.”
I laughed as Tarsi wiggled her fingers to emphasize the word.
“Don’t lie to them, now.” I held out my arm to her, and she took it gracefully, stepping with me into the hallway. “I don’t want to let them down.”
“Oh, please, Porter,” Tarsi said. “It’s not like you’ll be teaching them about advanced neurological disorders or anything….” She trailed off, looking over at me with an arched brow. “You won’t, right?”
I smirked, refraining from answering as we walked down the corridor of the wooden schoolhouse. Every other board would give a satisfying creak underfoot, although that wasn’t to say the edifice was shoddy in any way. The schoolhouse had been planned, built, sanded, and painted by hand. We’d more than found our way around the metal beasts to the far east.
As far as we knew, there weren’t any leviathans—as we’d taken to calling them— in the neighboring Skyreach Mountains. We weren’t about to take any chances, however. Until we found a more permanent way of dealing with the leviathans, the last thing we wanted was the destruction of our new colony… especially since it was full of children now.
We stepped out onto the veranda together, the sun setting full on the plains. There were no mountains to the immediate west, and at this time of day the plains caught fire with golden light. I remember that I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was decidedly wrong about today. Standing there in the surreal amber light of dusk, I felt a tugging in my stomach that I couldn’t explain. Without thinking, I turned my head to the clear blue sky only to see there was nothing— not so much as a cloud.
“You alright, Porter?” Tarsi asked, leaning around me to get a look at my face. “Nervous about tomorrow?”
“Yes,” I lied. “I’ve been waking up in a cold sweat every night.”
“Nightmares?”
“Yeah. I’m standing by the bonfire and everyone’s chanting ‘dance, Porter! Dance!’” Tarsi laughed and I added, “And I haven’t got any pants on.”
Tarsi cradled her stomach as she laughed harder.
“Ha! You’re so ridicu—,” she started, but cut off quickly. My heart fluttered when she seized my hand and, for a moment, I could only think of my earlier feeling. The dread returned in waves and I felt my stomach cramp.
Before I could ask what had happened, she placed my palm against her stomach, beaming.
“He’s kicking!” She let out another musical laugh. “I feel like he only does it when you’re around. Obviously he’s going to end up with Uncle Porter’s sense of humor.” I cracked a small smile, my heart gradually slowing to its normal pace as I felt the familiar twinge run across her belly—a muscle spasm now, the future of our colony later.
“My condolences to you and yours.”
I felt Tarsi crush herself against me as she laughed again, snaking an arm around my waist as we started down the path through the fairy flax. At this, I felt warm and at ease again. I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and turned my head towards the Extantville proper—a small town square with a number of wooden buildings, houses and the like, sparkling with the light that glinted off the lake we’d positioned ourselves beside.
I couldn’t help but find myself concerned with my earlier behavior. What had me so on edge? Could it be that I really was nervous about tomorrow? It was a big day, after all, and one that required me to give a speech as well as talk to a vast number of people who might or might not decide to come to me with questions concerning my occupation. As a therapist, I often found myself counseling others whether or not I was in my office. The prospect of impromptu therapy had never bothered me before, however—could it be that it was now?
“You’re being really quiet, Porter,” Tarsi murmured into my arm. She’d always been perceptive, and the sheer amount of time she spent with me only made me easier to read. I rubbed her arm gently, planting a kiss on the top of her head.
“Thinking about patients, I’m sorry,” I said. It wasn’t exactly a lie.
“You need to learn to leave work at the office,” she said. She straightened up as we walked past the tall wooden wall of the marketplace, drawing nearer to the golden statue in the middle of the town proper. It never got any less strange, seeing the golden cast of my person, clutching a small, familiar journal in one hand.
“I know,” I admitted. She smiled over her shoulder, letting me go and picking up her pace as Kelvin came into view.
“Go rest up, Porter,” she soothed, blowing a kiss. “We have a big day tomorrow. Just remember to wear pants!” She called with a wave. I grew a little red as a smattering of townspeople working on the celebration decorations paused to turn and look at me. Tarsi just laughed, stepping up to Kelvin who’d hurried down the ladder to greet her. I smiled at the sight of them— of the whole town, busying themselves with preparations for Firebirth Day.

PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 12:43 PM

Hey, so here it is! I'm done at laaast~!

http://www.booktrack.com/#!/bookshelf?booktrackId=013a6a3b9c...

Please check it out. <3 I would be muy thankful!

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]