Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 04:04 PM
The Novel Factory, July Special

Hi, this is Melange! I’m a 21yo Austrian student of Japanese language & culture. This year will be my fourth JulNoWriMo and hopefully fourth win. I plan to write 50,000 words on a literary fiction novel called Shukugawa Monogatari. For those of you who don't know Japanese, the title translates into 'Story of Shukugawa'.

I don't really have a lot of plot yet. All I can say is that it'll be about Japanese otaku culture in the German-speaking area, artists and fans, mental problems and identity. Oh, I've a cover too! It's terribly pink.

Good luck to everyone!

[Edited on 7-3-2014 by Melange]
Row.Ya.Boat.Baa.
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Ancient Future

Word Count: 50180 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 06:03 PM

Woo. You can do it!
Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 08:03 PM

Awesome cover! And sounds like a fun novel! XD

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
HeraldMage
JulNo Writer

Mood: Chpper
JulNoWriMo Title: Rusted Heat

Word Count: 2208 / 50000
Word Count Start4% Complete96% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 08:15 PM

Is that heart covered with rubber bands? That's cute ^^

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 04:28 PM

Thanks, Tatra!

HeraldMage - Now that you mention it, I think it is! Cute indeed.

Day 2
3,348 words

Yesterday I wrote 1,722 words. I would’ve written more, but I was so surprised by the fact that I hit that before midday that I was lazy for the rest of the day. Today I brought that up to 3,348 words.

Considering I didn’t do a lot of planning, I’m satisfied with my progress. I’m slowly getting a better idea of what I really want to write and where I want the story to go. Malia is an introverted student of Japanese and writer who is dragged into otaku and fan culture. Her best friend Kikue, a Japanese school girl, frequently dresses up as lolita and displays a curious mix of self-confidence and cruelty. I’m having fun showing their relationship… and I can’t wait to write about my experiences with otakus and anime conventions!

For now, all is good in the land of Mel. I hope to get ahead too as I’ve absolutely nothing to do tomorrow.

Edit: I forgot to share my synopsis.

All Malia wants is to write her stories in peace, but the other students never leave her alone. They drag her into the glittering circle of conventions and fan culture. For the first time she feels alive, but after the first steps comes the inevitable fall. While she struggles in writing and love Kikue, a Japanese lolita, whispers sweet lies into her ears. As Malia tries to find her place, the line between reality and fiction starts to blur.

PoppyWest
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: World Eater

Word Count: 4876 / 50000
Word Count Start10% Complete90% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:15 AM

Oh my goodness, I get that, too-- where I get so surprised that I've actually done work that I stop doing work. :P It's a killer! It really is impressive, though, getting so much done without much planning. This is a really interesting idea, and definitely something I can't wait to watch develop more. Did you say they were in a German-speaking area? Is Malia German? Is Kikue a transfer?

:embarrassed: ... I ask too many questions, hehe. I should just wait and read the next few excerpts. Good luck, though! I can't wait to see where you end up going with this.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 04:25 PM

Poppy - Yes! Actually most of the action takes place in Austria for convenience's sake. I just know my own country best! Kikue is... Malia's friend. All I can say is that she exists both in Shukugawa and wherever Malia is.
;)

Day 3
6,292 words

As of now I’m at 6,292 words which means I wrote almost 3k today! At first I wasn’t motivated at all, but the arrival of a certain package in the mail brought my focus back. Handwriting helped a lot too. After that, I came to a scene I was really looking forward to, so I kept going after hitting the daily goal. Malia met the cute ginger boy (otherwise known as Pablo) for the first time! From now on they’ll spend more and more time together.

All in all, I’m satisfied with my progress. I’m off to the lake with two friends from tomorrow morning till Sunday, so I hoped to get more words before that, but it can’t be helped. We’ll have a bit of a schedule, but I’ll probably have time for Shukumono in the evenings.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to going hiking and swimming in the lake! Don’t know how internet will be, so updates will resume Sunday or Monday at the latest.

Always keep the faith.
Row.Ya.Boat.Baa.
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Ancient Future

Word Count: 50180 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 04:23 PM

Go Melange!
Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 10:35 PM

Yay!!! Fun stuffs abounds! :D

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 04:25 AM

Day 9
13,013 words

As expected, I did a lot of hiking and swimming in the lake and had no internet except on my phone. Surprisingly, I managed to keep up the writing in the evenings and moments of quiet. All of us had some relaxing time between the activity. All in all, it was extremely beautiful.

After coming back, I got hit by allergy. On Monday I wrote only 135 words. However, yesterday I managed to catch up by writing 2,787 words, hitting 13k! That was fun. I realized I can write 3k easily if I’ve nothing else to do and just keep going with good music on the side.

The story is getting more interesting too. Yesterday I finished one scene in which Malia helped Mona, the best friend, with her manga and they discussed anime they like. Then I wrote some romance between Malia and Pablo, the love interest, at the Christmas market. I tell you it’s surreal to write a winter scene in summer, listening to holiday music! But the first kiss and proposal of getting together was so cute! I like my characters.

I could’ve written more… instead I chose to watch a season of Naruto. Oh well, it’s inspiration too!

[Edited on 7-9-2014 by Melange]

Always keep the faith.
HeraldMage
JulNo Writer

Mood: Chpper
JulNoWriMo Title: Rusted Heat

Word Count: 2208 / 50000
Word Count Start4% Complete96% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 10:11 AM

I'm glad to hear you like your characters and not struggling with them! It's always nice about hearing someone in a good stride, it's inspiring :)

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 04:32 PM

HeraldMage - They have their moments... But I'm glad to be inspiring! It's part of why I do that whole writing thing, after all. :]

Day 11
20,090 words

So I’m not entirely sure how, but I managed to hit 20k! To be exact, I wrote 3,667 words today. This is a lot for me, but I was already motivated in the morning. Coffee and good music kept me going throughout the day. In fact I felt bored whenever I stopped writing. There was nothing in particular I felt like doing, so I just returned to writing… after a game of Tetris.

Part of it was the story too. The last scene was pretty intense. It was draining and fun at the same time if you can believe it. I noticed recently that the parts I seem to enjoy the most these days are romance and erotica. That’s probably a low fall from that mountain of literary fiction I built for myself since November ’11…

But I did enjoy the scene. At first there was a glimpse of depression, then some sweet romance and then an even sweeter erotic finale. I just had to continue and finish the whole scene. I also wanted to distract myself from something. I’m not sure if it worked, but at least I made progress!

Always keep the faith.
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: a time for love

Word Count: 10013 / 50000
Word Count Start20% Complete80% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 04:59 PM

Go melange you can do it.:)

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-14-2014 at 05:11 AM

Day 14
22,022 words

After writing so many words, I only managed 2k between the next two days… Well, the problem was more complicated than just burnout. I don’t believe in burnout, but I do believe I have to be excited for a story to enjoy writing it and that’s precisely what I lack these days. For more on that please read my blog entry!

Also, I was distracted by the finale of the World Championship in Brazil. Congrats to Germany, my neighbor! Now I can return to writing in the evenings, although I enjoyed watching soccer too.

There’s not much to report today. I plan to think about the plot, maybe add a few things to bring back the excitement. Malia hasn’t been doing a lot… Also, I want to hit the daily 1,613 words consistently for the rest of the month. I’m ahead by some 1.5k, but far from satisfied! Surely I can do more! Right now I’m motivated to change this story into something I can write with joy and enthusiasm, so going to work on that.

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 04:29 PM

Day 17
27,605 words

So far my plan seems to be working! I only wrote 778 words on the 15th, but yesterday the virtual-write in inspired me to hit the daily goal in an hour which is really fast! Today I finished an interesting scene and started another.

I’m not bothering with authenticity anymore, but focusing on the message I want to convey with every single scene, how it’ll move the plot forward. I’m really enjoying that approach and having fun watching my characters! Earlier today there was an intense moment when Pablo tried to confront Malia about her perpetual emotional isolation from everyone. He begs her to open up to him, but she flees. I feel bad for him… but Malia won’t open up to anyone except Kikue.

And I just realized there’s a name for that kind of thing: alexithymia which is “difficulty expressing one's feelings or emotions through words” (according to Urban Dictionary). That sounds about right, although Malia has only problems with spoken words. There’s also a beautiful song by Anberlin titled Alexithymia

Well, from now on her mental problems will get worse. I’m looking forward to that as I always enjoy messing with my characters’ minds and perception!

Always keep the faith.
Quo Vadis
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: graduated!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Bullihan

Word Count: 178767 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-18-2014 at 03:19 AM

I decided to check your progress thread out and all I can say is: can I read this when it's finished? XD

I love this idea so much and your cover invites to read your story. I would totally pick this up if I saw this in a store. Also, congrats on the progress you've made so far!

JulNo '10: 50,043 words on Diamond Valley
JulNo '11: 236,903 words on The King's Licence
JulNo '12: 32,759 words on Fortune Cookies | 68,126 words on Heaven's Quest
JulNo '13: 106,901 words on Survival of the Fittest
Julno '14: 95,503 words on Bullihan
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-18-2014 at 04:14 AM

If you can read German, sure! XD Sry, I don't write in English... (and forget to state this in the first post every year.)

Thank you though! Glad you like the idea.

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 06:40 AM

Day 24
36,510 words

I’m still writing and the story is still moving along. A few days ago I had a low, but I’m almost caught up again! In fact the story is moving slower than expected. At this point I’m only halfway through my novel despite being three fourths through the month. I guess I’ll continue it in August…

Yesterday I sketched one of my characters! Despite being introduced only a scene ago, she’s going to become one of the key characters in the latter half. Teresa is a cosplayer at heart and has just met Malia at a convention. The first day she is wearing a costume from Jigoku Shoujo, the second she’s Lightning from FF XII. Just imagine that’s her under the clothes and wigs, okay?

[Edited on 7-24-2014 by Melange]

Always keep the faith.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]