JulNo Royalty

Mood: Frustrated
JulNoWriMo Title: The Diviner's Revenge

Word Count: 52794 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 04:18 PM
Misadventures of a Magician

This is the progress thread for 2014's continuation of my fantasy series, Windows to the Soul.

Here I will attempt to post an excerpt a day, as well as (hopefully) a drawing per day, another goal I am trying to accomplish starting now and continuing through August, to work on character designs and to practice drawing.

As during every summer, a happy belated birthday to the main characters of this series, four quadruplets, who turned nineteen last Saturday, June 21st.

These four siblings are Tres Trizelli, the narrator, and his siblings Trent, Tracy, and Torefina*.

Happy writing!

*Don't bring up the alliterative names, I chose them when I was twelve. Their whole family is like that. I'm too attached to change them.

Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-29-2014 at 09:15 PM

Sounds fun to me! XD Good luck!

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 04:07 PM

Good luck & happy birthday to your quadruplets! :] I actually like their names. Also looking forward to the excerpts and drawings.
Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 09:15 PM

Thanks, guys! (And I'm glad you liked the names; I've gotten teased about them a few times. Good-naturedly, but teased nonetheless.)

First of July

Character of the Day: Tres Trizelli

Quote:

Tres is a water element. He is extremely high-functioning and though he is the third child (and the shortest, at four foot nine) he tends to lead the group. This account of his family's tales is written in retrospect, and because of his incredible memory, a magical ability only seen in one other being throughout Veneficus' history, he tells the story for his sisters and brothers.

After a failed rescue attempt of his younger sister Trina in book one, he has to face the same challenge now as he and most of his family try to save their leaders, Nathaniel White and Jacosen Draconae, from a fiery death at the hands of their rivals, the Dark Council. In this book he is thirteen years old.

Trivia: Tres' magic memory has the unfortunate side effect of causing him to pass out if his brain overheats from working to hard. (What is science this is fantasy.)

A quick overview of elemental magic...

In Veneficus, there are eight elements: fire, water, air, earth, metal, animal, dark, and light. Each magical being has a single type of elemental magic. You can tell what element someone is from their eyes. This element forms the basis of their personality, their temperament, and most importantly their magic. However, while it provides a basis for these things, it does not necessarily set any of it (besides the magic, of course) in stone.

Excerpt of the Day:

Quote:

“You,” one of the kids said, pressing his knife to my side, “answer her.”

I looked at Adam with a raised eyebrow. So they were Dark Council, and that was a relief compared to the alternative. These people we could reason with; petty criminals were harder, more irrational.

“He can’t speak,” Adam interjected quickly. “None of those four can.”

The old woman frowned. “None of them? What happened?”

“Unfortunate accident,” Adam shrugged. “It’s temporary.”

Magicai: a magical creature with no human blood, any of a variety of species; the word stays the same whether it's singular or plural.

Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 10:18 PM

Drawing of the Day:

I didn't do this today, but I thought it was a fitting image for the beginning. From left to right, this is Trent, Tracy, and Tres, much older, more experienced, and more jaded than they are in the story I'm currently writing.

(No one's really sure why Tres dresses like an employee at a country club, and with that staff in his hand, no one's brave enough to ask. Besides, it's not a daily occurrence. Sometimes it just happens.)

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 05:04 AM

Pretty drawing! The colors remind me of Avatar, but that's probably not what you want to hear... Also, what's with the tan? Are all of you that tanned in California? >.>

On a related note, I envy your progress. I can't comprehend how you write so much.
PoppyWest
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: World Eater

Word Count: 4876 / 50000
Word Count Start10% Complete90% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:10 AM

Not all of us. ;) I'm pale as salt over here. But I bet go-getters like the Trizellis are in the sun a lot more than me, haha.

Anyway, this is really cool! This kind of stuff is my jam. I totally dig the elements/magicians thing... like, an indecent amount, lol. It's usually what I write about, so I'm eager to see more progress reports! And drawings, of course. You've inspired me to maybe try posting some drawings of my own.
Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:28 AM

I didn't skip a day; I chose to get ahead rather than post here.

Mel: I am entirely okay with being compared to Avatar since I've been watching it this summer. (I actually had never heard of the show when I first starting writing these characters, which was probably in 2005. The show also started in 2005, but as I've only ever seen one episode until this year, and I didn't have a clue what it was about until Tumblr, it didn't have any influence on the story, haha.)

Poppy: I'm glad you like it! Elements is my favorite trope for magic. (Have you read the Circle of Magic series? It's amazing. Not quite elements in name, but the magic itself is close enough.) And you should definitely post drawings! That's how I'm encouraging myself to draw.

Also I am a pale Californian as well, I understand. The Trizellis' father is actually Latino, so they're pretty dark-skinned. Typically Tres is the palest, but at the age he is in the picture he's a lot different than he is in the part I am now.

Goal for the day is to hit 18k. Feel free to holler if I don't. :)

PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:43 AM

My god. 18k. I have no idea how you do this!!

And I love it. <3 I've actually never read the Circle of Magic series! Augh. Way to get me hooked on more books. I'll have to check it out! And I'll need to start working on some pictures to share.

Good luck! I'll check in at the end of the day to make sure you hit 18k. Fifty lashes otherwise. :P
Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:53 AM

To be honest, I have no idea how I do it either; I got to 12k on accident, by looking at the word count rankings! I just try to reach the next person. Unfortunately it's harder now because only a few people are this far, but that just motivates me to write faster.

Haha sorry. They're good books though, I promise!

Thanks dear! :)

Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 04:10 PM

Sketch for the Day:

I think it took me longer to take a picture of this sketch than it did to do the sketch itself. I apologize for the quality; my webcam was being a nuisance and doesn't take that great of pictures to begin with.

This is a pencil/Sharpie sketch of Adam Faris, who is an agent of the Light Council, probably when he first joined up at about 19.

Adam lives in Mystic, CT, with his wife and three kids, Jessie, Kyle, and Sarah.

Gonna attempt to power through another 1 or 2k and then head to the beach!

PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 06:24 PM

Good luck! You're almost at that 18k you promised! :P

Alsoalso... I kind of think Tres is adorable, sooo Idrewapictureofhim. :embarrassed: Haha, I know when you said "you should draw a picture" you meant "of your own characters" buuut....

I didn't colour it because my compy with Photoshop is a little bit dead right now. But I wanted toooo. So baaad.

World Eater's in a competition, so please read and rate. I will love you forever <3 : World Eater
Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 06:31 PM

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD POPPY

I AM FREAKING OUT YOU ARE AMAZING AND WONDERFUL

YOUR STYLE IS SO GREAT AND TRES IS SO CUTE <3

PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 08:18 PM

Ee. <3 Thank yooou. I'll have it colored when I get my sad other laptop up and running.

:embarrassed: I just really had to draw a picture of Tres. Narrating like a G in a polo tee.

(I don't actually know what kind of narrator he is, but I'm assuming he's probably good. He's got an eyepatch. <3)

Do you have any of your writing posted anywhere? ^^

World Eater's in a competition, so please read and rate. I will love you forever <3 : World Eater
Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 09:53 PM

He's a smug little know-it-all most of the time. The rest of the time he is confused out of his mind. There is no in between. (Well for now. He's much better when he's older.)

I don't have any of it posted, but I was planning on posting some excerpts. The next thing I was planning to post was Tres' intro to the series, which is written when he's an old man.

PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:22 PM

Omg. If you couldn't tell from my character sheet and my thread on World Eater, I loooove smug little know-it-alls. <3 And I can't wait to see the excerpts! I'm getting to be, like, Tres' #1 fan over here.

... I can settle for #2 fan.

Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 01:45 AM

Tres is great because on one hand he is a smug little know-it-all, but also he's extremely intelligent.

Third of July

This excerpt is from the first book, but it's a good intro to the character and the series so this is the introduction, as written by Tres Trizelli.

Quote:

Narrator's Note
This account of events is true. As per request by those who claim to know me very well, i.e. my family, I have been as accurate as possible in depictions of various people and events rather than giving in to my own bias. Furthermore, those who claim to know me very well have also requested that I write in such a way that this is interesting to read, rather than writing in such a way that it reads like a textbook, of which I've written several. I am fairly positive that if I didn't have the superior memory, I would not have been given the task of compiling this narrative.

I hesitate to call it an autobiography, though it is about my life, or even a biography, as it is a collection of many lives. Family tree seems far too cursory, though it does detail several generations, as well as quite a few or our more memorable ancestors, of the Trizelli family. It is too close to my heart to be referred to as a report, yet not personal enough, as not all of these memories belong to me, nor were all the events described herein witnessed by me, to be a journal. It is perhaps neither old nor broad enough to be a history, although it does discuss the nature and happenings of my world in depth. In my experience memoirs are not nearly this long. This narrative is all of these things, yet there is no word to encompass every aspect of its nature.

Therefore, I remain with my original statement:
This account of events is true.

Also, two little character bios today, since I skipped yesterday!

Nathaniel White

Quote:
Nathaniel White is the leader of the Light Council, and has been for about 3.6 thousand years. He is a unicorn, but he was rejected by his species because he was born without an element or a name. Nathaniel White is his chosen name, his surname a joke about the fact that his body has no pigmentation, and he has no irises, only pupils and whites.

Nate tends to change moods very quickly, can act very childish, and spends the majority of his life making hard decisions, an occupation that has created a fairly cold and unfeeling person--as if the fact that unicorns do not, as a general rule, experience emotions hadn't already done that.

Trina Trizelli

Quote:
Trina is the youngest girl in the Trizelli family and is an animal element. She and her two younger brothers grew up in a different time period, believing that their ancester was actually their mother. Of the three of them, Trina is the one who takes the discovery of Nate's deception the hardest. In the first book she gets kidnapped by Nate's rival and given a drug made for immortals, and then sent back in time a thousand years, a fact that her sisters and brothers are extremely unaware of.

Trina is stubborn, tends toward violence but can also be diplomatic, and is occasionally irrational. She has a knack for predicting the future, although she is not a psychic and actually hates psychic abilities. She is one of several people who is actually brave enough to call Nate out on his crap. Though she was ten when she was sent back in time, she has spent three years in the past and comes back the same age as her older sisters and brothers.

I was fully planning on hitting 18k tonight, but I have work early tomorrow morning, so I'm going to call it a night. (Besides, my goal per day is 5k, and hitting 18k was extra padding.)

Gonna try to make it to 21k tomorrow. I'm also worried about how long this novel is going to come out, because in past drafts it's always come out to about 30-35k, and I would like it to get to 40-45k at least this time around. It's at 22k, and I might be able to bring it that far, but it'll be tough. We'll see.

Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 05:11 PM

I have written exactly nothing today because of work this morniing, but I did draw a Trent! Two Trents, in fact.

The left one is probably around the age he is now, thirteen, and the right one is him as an adult. He looks a little like a Vulcan in profile, but that's alright. He keeps his hair short because he hates maintenance.

Because Trent tends to get a little left out, he's the character of the day today!

Trent Trizelli

Quote:

Trent Trizelli is an air element and is the oldest Trizelli child. Before he was thirteen he was arrested seven times, spent nine months in juvenile hall, and ran away from his foster parents. He is the strong and silent type, and speaks the least out of his siblings because he feels he has the least to contribute, due to the fact that he was never in school all that much.

He tends to defer judgment on things to his younger brother, whom he considers superior to him in intellect (something that Tres doesn't contend), and is very protective of his family. However, he is actually very intelligent and excels in math, but he tends to forget about this only because he has Tres as a comparison. Physically, Trent is also much stronger than his brother, and spends a good deal of time training. Out of all of his siblings, he is the least dependent on magic for most things, and often utilizes human problem-solving skills rather than magical.

[Edited on 7-4-2014 by Midnightindigo]

Tatra
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 10:39 PM

You're doing an awesome job!!! And I love how much info you're sharing, cuz your story really does sound like wicked fun. :D

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
PoppyWest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 03:57 PM

It does sound like fun. ;) I'm still waiting for more updates!

Also, I finally colored theeees:

It sucked, having to do it with a mouse, hehe. And I feel like it's been forever since I've colored something! But I promised I would. :P

Tatra
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 06:10 PM

Awesome job! The two of you are making me want to try my hand at drawing, even though I suck! :D

Zombie Writers United

Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 06:53 PM

POPPY I AM SO EXCITED OMG HE'S WONDERFUL HE'S SO GOOD I'M FLAILING IT'S SO PRETTY I LOVE IT

Tatra: I'm glad you like the idea! You should totally draw things, it's a great way to relax from writing!

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 03:44 AM

Oh, I like the prologue thing you posted earlier and all the character bios! Trina sounds especially interesting to me, maybe because the idea of making animals an element is so entirely new. x)

And that's beautiful coloring, Poppy!

Always keep the faith.
Midnightindigo
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 01:09 AM

Thanks, Mel! I'm glad you like it. Trina's definitely one of my favorite characters, haha. And I've only been realizing how unusual it is recently, though that's been a part of the story for seven years. I dunno why but I really liked the idea of it and I still do. (I was thinking yesterday that I needed to better flesh out how all of their magic works, especially hers.)

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 05:22 AM

Yep, some ideas you come up with as a child are better than you realized at first. That's why I never throw away old notebooks! x)

On the other hand, I think the first story I really worked on seriously was badly disguised HP fanfiction, so it's not always the case...

Always keep the faith.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]