Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 07:05 AM
The Chat Thread

Hey, what's up!?

This is the grown-ups' (in age only) hang out, where we can rant about real life and celebrate every 500 words with another shot! ;)

Hi, I'm Tina. :) I'm British and I'll be 22 in May.

I'm currently toying with four ideas for JulNo: one a film script; one a TV script; and the other two are novel(la) ideas. In the meantime I'm currently editing a short film that I wrote the script for during JulNo 2013. It should be finished by the end of May.

Anyone else have any ideas in mind yet?

[Edited on 19-4-2014 by Tina]

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 03:16 PM

Hi, I'm Mel, 21 and Austrian. Almost three years of university have only taught me two things so far: how to speak Japanese and how to enjoy myself at night/during weekends.
:P

Please tell me more about your JulNo ideas! I've no idea whatsoever, but I'm rewriting Crow City for this month's Camp NaNo. 2014 seems to be my rewrite year (JanNo was one too), so maybe I'll continue that trend in July.

I'm currently writing sitting at home with sappy music and a glass of red wine. :]
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 04:11 PM

Snap! I've red wine too. :) But I'm rocking out to dark wave and participating in a virtual egg hunt.

I thought you'd finished with Crow City - like, edited and sent out to the world? What brought about the decision to re-write it?

One of my ideas is to start over with Decadence. Again. I think I took a wrong turn with it when plotting it out before. I want to tone down romantic elements (to some extent) and just focus on the friendship between five socially awkward guys.

The other ideas are to continue with Pavor Nocturnus (nano '13) / Last Train Home (think I've talked about this on JanNo?), or to start a brand new project. The new project is the script for a film called Angel Dust, about a naïve autistic man in his late 20s. The main character, Neven, was partially based on Luca to begin with - but has evolved into something entirely new. I feel like I took the wrong direction with this character type before, but I'm not done with it either.

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 04:29 PM

Mine is delicious Chilean Merlot! Virtual egg hunt sounds kind of senseless...

I can't remember which event triggered it, but sometime in March I was hit by inspiration and decided to work on a second draft. The revision was a joke to begin with - it didn't fix any of the problems I had with the plot. I just wanted to send something out to publishers to experience the process, haha. The plot skeleton is the same, but the subplots have changed and the drama has increased!
Also, I've a ton of amusing nocturnal adventures to work into the story now! XD

Haha, Decadence again... and I remember Last Train Home! Angel Dust sounds interesting too. Why are you so fascinated with autistic characters?
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 04:53 PM

I've Blossom Hill. :) It's fun! A bunch of my friends are taking part too, so it's a good laugh. We boast about what eggs we've got (they're numbered on a list) and whine a lot. There are rewards that can be redeemed too and some of my friends are competing for the gold. It's just fun.

Are there any major overhauls? Like, key changes to the characters/story?

Decadence is an eternal WIP! XD

It's not really an interest in autistic characters; I just like characters who think a little differently. The mind is a fascinating thing - but, more than anything, I like characters who feel as if they don't belong. From relatives to friends to neighbours to kids I've tutored, various conditions with the mind are something I've been exposed to a lot and I find it intriguing. Being autistic is just one part of Neven's character; another major part is his drug dependency (yeah, this is where he's more similar to Luca) which governs his behaviour and takes him away from his real life. Key characters, besides himself, are a social worker and an employee in a fast food restaurant.

[Edited on 19-4-2014 by Tina]

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 05:08 PM

Well, a side character got his own little subplot; there are more dream conversations with the crows; Saya (female MC) and her subplot have become more prominent. I'm at the point where he's starting to confuse her with his first girlfriend who disappeared without a trace a year or so ago. x)

That idea as such didn't exist in the first draft, he just kind of drowned in memories and couldn't live in the present. With the second draft, I wanted to not only hint at things, but allow them to escalate. A story should take the worst possible road for the MC!

Ah, I see! Most of my MCs are the same, in a different way. Alexis is probably the first who even consumes drugs...

Hit my daily WC goal! Will probably go sleep now.
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 03:14 AM

Sounds interesting! :)

I've spent the week trying and failing to find time to finish off the final edit of Say Goodbye. It's so close to the end! The deadline is May 22, I think, but I should be able to meet that fine. Also need to organise a presentation detailing every step of it's development. Once it's out of the way I can focus on new ideas (and the eternal WIP Decadence).

[Edited on 27-4-2014 by Tina]

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 04:43 AM

Oh, that's awesome! Will you upload it on YT? I think you mentioned that sometime. Anyway, I'd love to see the end product. :]

I just got up after 12+ hours of sleep. Finished up a three-day conference at the uni institute yesterday. Again I had volunteered to help with registration, coffee breaks, cleaning up and a few other things. So exhausting. x.x On the upside, we got invited to the Heurigen on the second day along with the speakers and staff which was fun.
Of course, I didn't write a lot for Crow City during that time, so I'm behind now...
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 12:47 PM

Finished the edit! :D Now all I need to do is evaluate it and give a 10 minute presentation and I'm good.

There's very little chance of it being put on YouTube. At least publicly. Maybe I'll upload it privately so I can control who views it.

Feeling inspired for Decadence right now. Can't get the cast out of my head.

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 12:53 PM

Awesome!
But I want to see it! No matter how. D:

Are you doing stuff for it? I slept through most of the day and am still too tired to do anything useful... Also, bf A could arrive at any time now and we've Bailey's in the fridge! xD

[Edited on 4-27-2014 by Melange]
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 02:06 AM

So close to the end! Got the evaluation done as well last night. Unfortunately the timing of the presentation is out of my control otherwise I could have this project finished much faster. >.<

Most of the work is going on in mind at the moment. Trying to decide on the direction I want the story to take. There are some scenes I think can be saved from the old version but for the most part I want to overhaul the story and completely change up character relationships.

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 02:24 AM

You mean the date when you have to do the presentation, right?

That sounds familiar. x) Well, have fun!
I'm not in the mood for writing at all. Just want to read, watch anime and do nothing. Also got withdrawal symptoms from bf, I think. >.> I saw him yesterday, but he was too tired to do much.
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 04:11 AM

There isn't a set date for it - not that I know of, anyway. But I'm going to try and be one of the first people in the class to do it (last year I was the very first!) just to get it over and done with. I hate dragging things out.

Oh, duh, I said that a few posts before. XD In my defence they're far apart time-wise!

I started a new project a few days ago out of the blue. It's only five pages atm, but I'm enjoying it. No time to write today though. Taking M out for her birthday meal... five months late. :X

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 12:54 PM

Ah, I understand that. I do the same with presentations - whether they're German or Japanese. x)

Am I required to reread the last chat thread to know what you're up to? XD And what kind of project is it? I'm curious! And hope you've fun with M.

After Camp NaNo, I don't even feel like writing. Instead I went shopping - didn't get what I was looking for, but lots of other things. Probably the cheapest clothes in an otherwise expensive store! Also happened upon a demonstration in the shopping street, although I didn't really figure out what it was for/against. They were playing good music though~
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 01:43 PM

I don't think the last chat thread would have any relevant information! x] It's a script about two childhood rivals who have a shared goal: to save the gym they trained in as kids from closing down.

Although I also got another new idea on the way home today. ^^;

Shopping is always a good plan. =D

I stupidly let myself be dragged into a comic book shop on international Free Comic Book Day. D: We had to wait in line to even get in. On the plus side, all the comic book nerds meant the manga aisle was completely deserted. M spent x10 as much as I did. All I bought was a DVD. Well, and dinner - but it still doesn't come to even half as much as what she spent. xD

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 02:17 PM

That sounds... not like something you'd write. xD

Haha. Shouldn't that mean free comics? x) Manga are comics too though! All those people apparently didn't know the really good stuff. I browsed through a Game of Thrones comic book once and it looked ridiculous! Btw, which manga did M buy?
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 02:43 PM

Hmm. The other new idea -- which is about a woman trying to make her way home (with no cash) the morning after a drunken night out -- might sound more like something I'd write? :P

There were free comics but they were made specially for the event - I got one! Didn't take any from the shop, but I got a The Simpsons comic from M in a bet. xD We got there in the afternoon, so it was mostly kiddy stuff there. I suppose the 'good stuff' went first thing in the morning. But all books (comics, manga, general graphic novels, etc) were 25% off. She bought three different ones. Not entirely sure what they were, but I remember she said she'd lend me the series one was from.

Ooh, this was dinner btw. Took pics for food blog I'm doing as a college project:

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 02:58 PM

Yep, although you also don't write female protagonists, remember? :P Also, the plot sounds like it was inspired by my brother...

Ah, that makes sense. But can't you remember any titles? x) And the food looks delicious! I really like raw salmon - due to sushi, of course.

They took my chair! :< My roommate and her friends who're sitting in the kitchen drinking... I know what you're going to say, but I don't think I'd be very good at being social these days.

[Edited on 5-3-2014 by Melange]
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 03:06 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that little detail! Well, this project is going to turn that around! I don't even know this girl's name yet but I already feel like I know her. I had all these ideas come to mind as I was walking home.

I love raw salmon! :] But I shocked myself by liking the tuna nigiri. I guess it's just tinned tuna I can't stand. And it was my first time trying (chicken) karaage but I think it was my favourite!

I was gonna say you should stay here and talk to me! ;]

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 03:28 PM

We'll see. x) Do you want to hear the story about my brother? It's probably a typical drunk story, but kind of funny. I don't think I've told you since it happened during your absence.

Of course, raw and even cooked tuna tastes totally different than tinned! But I don't think I know what karaage is...

Aw, I will! Talk to you while watching Seven Years in Tibet, that is.

[Edited on 5-3-2014 by Melange]
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 03:36 PM

Sure! Why not? XD

Do you know what tempura is? If so, it's kind of like that. It's when the food is marinaded and then deep fried. According to the menu it was marinaded in a mixture of garlic, ginger, sake, and soy sauce. It was really tasty!

I'm about to put on Frozen. [/totally grown-up.]

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 04:16 PM

He went to a club in a nearby town and managed to lose his friends, jacket and wallet. He tried to walk home (it'd have taken him the whole night), probably napping next to the street at some point, then rang a random doorbell. The people were kind enough to open and even call a taxi. So in the early morning the taxi turned up at our house with my brother in it, but no jacket or wallet. Mum was in panic for a while, then started calling his friends, trying to locate his belongings. In the end they were still at the club, but of course the parents were mad at him and overreacting. The whole thing was quite amusing for me though. ^^;

Ah, sounds good! Although whenever I eat Japanese food, it's either sushi, mochi or yakitori...

Haha, I want to watch it too. Your icon is too pretty! And it's from the movie, right?
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 04:29 PM

HAHA. That was so nice of them. Not the worst story I've heard though, luckily! :P

I've taken up cooking and baking as a hobby in the past few months. Asian food is what I focus on most. I planned to make matcha cookies this weekend but my ingredients are delayed until Tuesday. :(

Yup, it's one of the main characters: Elsa. <3 The other main character is Anna. I'm using an avatar of her on another forum - because a friend there told me to. :P

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 04:33 PM

Thought so, haha. I've heard a few similar stories myself.

It's good to know how to cook - enjoying it is even better! Sadly, I don't want to spend time cooking on most days. But matcha cookies sound delicious! (Give me pics when they're done?) Have you tried your hand at sushi yet?

I see... the trailer is strangely amusing. Think I'll give it a try.
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 04:37 PM

I'm really enjoying it. I just hate sharing a kitchen with my mum. September can't come fast enough. :P Will do! The next main dish I'm planning to attempt is chicken katsu. But I'm lacking a couple of ingredients for that too.

My friends have spent the past six months trying to get me to watch it. I finally caved - and I freaking love it. <3 I rented it digitally yesterday, then bought it while in Glasgow today.

~ ♥ ~
 Pages:  1    3  ..  12

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]