JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I Am A JulNoWriMo Failure. YAY!
RiftDoggy
JulNo Writer

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 06:23 PM
I Am A JulNoWriMo Failure. YAY!

So...pretty self-explanatory. Just didn't do it. At all. Didn't even try, after the first week. I got caught up in outlining, then the second week ended...and, I decided to just wait for August.
Of course, all this could have been avoided, since I canned the *problem* story and started a new one less than a week ago. Should have done that in the beginning, I guess...

Two Questions:

1. Have any of you failed this miserably before?

2. Were you as ambivalent about it as I am? Like, did you feel like a failure, or were you like, "Whatever, it isn't that important, there's always next time."

Bonus Third Question: Has anyone here ever used the word "like" incorrectly in a forum before?

Well, everybody, congrats! Wish me luck!

emmeline
Faffing away

Mood: awake

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 06:44 PM

I haven't tried anything like this before, but I'm sure no-one's meant to come out of it feeling like a failure. I spent more years than I care to count without writing a word before I even got round to trying something like this. :)
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiftDoggy
Two Questions:

2. Were you as ambivalent about it as I am? Like, did you feel like a failure, or were you like, "Whatever, it isn't that important, there's always next time."

1) Yes. In 2005, I finished NaNoWriMo with about 10,000 words. A fair attempt. However, in 2006 I didn't write a single word.

I've also failed every JulNoWriMo--actually, the only year I attempted was last year, even though I was in Australia for 18 of the 31 days.

I've also failed NaNoWriYe this year.

I do have an idea (finally) for a new novel, but I don't know if I'm going to start it yet. I have about four others I'd like to somewhat finish first.

2) I was kind of disappointed after NaNoWriMo 2005, but then I realized that November was just too much of a busy month for me and that I really would have burnt myself out trying to write 50k.

gaye-belle
JulNo Member

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 09:00 PM

Riftdoggy, don't feel you are a failure. Your mood says you are tired. So just rest up a spell, and if you feel up to it, try a challenge with a lower total to keep your interest there.
I'm new to these challenges, have never written a novel before, and have completed a local one and this one. Knowing it was not a race, to see who finishes first, it's a motivater, and these sites give you the encouragement to do your best.
What has helped me was the fact it is winter in my country, it's cold and miserable, if it was summer as it is for most on here I wouldn't feel like being 'glued' to the computer.
So hang in there, and yes you can feel 'what the heck, there's always next time'.
My mother had a saying, "if at first you don't succeed, then try, try again." It always worked for me. ;)

Remember, don\'t put off what you should do today, for it will be yesterday, tomorrow!
bouncy_girl
JulNo Writer

Mood: accomplished

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 09:53 PM

Yes! I registered for the Julno forums before last summer's Julno and I didn't write a single word. I wasn't even able to make an attempt. You at least sat down and wrote something!

I was pretty ambivalent. I spent the summer reading, and I think all that reading helped me become a better writer, so whether I wrote anything or not, it was a summer well spent.

Bonus Third Question: Has anyone here ever used the word "like" incorrectly in a forum before?
Most likely. (Yeah, I know. Bad cheesy joke. You may come after me with pitchforks and raging plotbunnies! :P)

Seriously, though, it's no big deal. If you do attempt Augnowrimo, it may go way better than this one so if you're still up for writing that new story, don't give up just because July didn't go so well. Good luck!
ani
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 09:25 PM

Well, here I am with not quite a fifth of the amount that I was aiming for written. It's kind of upsetting how I had really nothing to do this month at all, so I would sit in front of the computer multiple times everyday and attempt to write, but, alas, something would distract me or I would feel like I had hit a rut and couldn't continue.

But still I feel pretty satisfied, in that this is the longest piece of fiction that I've written so far. And I just finished chapter 4, which I truly believe is some of the best work I've done in terms of storyline and character development in anything I've written. I still plan on finishing this novel, hopefully in August and before school starts, but it's unlikely that I'll be able to speed up the pace at which I write very much. Oh well; at least I've done something.
edgy
JulNo Writer

Mood: You'd never guess how much I wrote on the meaning of Lady Justice...

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 08:04 PM

Did you guys read Chris Baty's "No plot? No problem." ? He's the guy who started NaNoWriMo. It's not just for plotting, it's full of humour and encouragement! At the top of my head, I can surely tell you that he mentioned a person who was in the 4 digits for word count and got up to 50k in the last three days! Not that I plan to do that. I'm starting to think about dropping the "I give up, I'm a failure" mood and trying my best these last two days through. Partly because I just realized that if I turn my screen off, my internal editor runs away and I can type 1200 words her hour versus my usual 500 (99% of blame laid on the internal editor, 1% for thinking too much). Maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't think I'm a JulNoWriMo failure no more! *Sticks out tongue at internal editor*
sylvrilyn
so many ideas, so little time

Mood: fed up
JulNoWriMo Title: Stones, Pt. II

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 08:22 PM

oooh, brilliant idea, turning off the screen! i might just go try that!

"A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places." -- Paul Gardner

Sulwen
JulNo Member

Mood: Determined

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 01:30 AM

Yeah, I fail too. But that's ok - I got a good start on my new novel, and 6k, if nothing else, is still 6k more than I wrote last summer. Instead of writing this month, I read four or five novels, which I still consider a good use of time. Better luck to us all next year!
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylvrilyn
oooh, brilliant idea, turning off the screen! i might just go try that!

Hmm... I would be afraid to do that. I'd probably hit a wrong button, like the Windows button that makes the Start dialog appear, and then I'd be typing... and nothing would be appearing on the screen.

I have heard other ideas similar to this, though--such as making your font color white, and turning off the red squiggles.

Giltrap
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 09:00 AM

Nope, this is my first time actually. 1229 words to go until I get 50k I think. I better get writing

As this is my first time, I can only tell you about the times where I've been about 4000 behind and they were not too great. Luckily I have caught up.

I only like use like like wrong if I am like being silly like.

I've tried turning off the screen and it works rather well, but I think looking up at the ceiling would work quite well for me too. My chair leans back so far that you can be in your normal looking at the screen position in your seat, but because you're leaning back you are looking somewhere inbetween teh wall and the ceiling.

Must write now, like. 8-)

edgy
JulNo Writer

Mood: You'd never guess how much I wrote on the meaning of Lady Justice...

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JSBulldog89
Hmm... I would be afraid to do that. I'd probably hit a wrong button, like the Windows button that makes the Start dialog appear, and then I'd be typing... and nothing would be appearing on the screen.

What if you 'cheat' and look back at your document every 5 mins? 1 encouraging if you typed a lot, 2 enough time to fix formatting errors, 3 avoids the possiblity of crashing your computer. I visualize the computer scren in my head and look at my key board so I won't press anything stupid. Htis pretty much sells me out as a 'turn off the screen' "cheater"...O.o OH well. Back to writing for me!
Kalmay
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 11:39 AM

yep I failed to meet 50k. did a lot better last year at writing just over 18k, this year I only topped 2k. :(

Just wasn't in the mood - going through some diet changes, my mom isn't doing too well, apartment is a mess, I'm going to be a great aunt and had to do up a stuffed toy and now working on a baby blanket, and oh yes, what other excuse can I give? Mmmmm...

Overall, too much else happening so just wasn't motivated, oh well, there's always next year!

[Edited on 7-31-2007 by Kalmay]

2013 - JulNo - 00,000 / 50,000k
arcticmoonshadow
JulNo Member

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 01:23 PM

1. Erm, I'm failing miserably. Unless I can somehow write 25,000 words in 11 hours. Less than. Not to mention we borrowed my friend's Wii just for today and I am currently working on the HP5 game. So I am destined to fail.

2. I thought I would feel really bad, but now I'm just like "eh. I really don't care. What does it really matter? So I didn't finish it". I blame it on my stupid theater camps and Harry Potter. Not to mention my last week completely obsessing over Hairspray. I RUE THE DAY I BECAME SUSCEPTIBLE TO OBSESSIONS. So I don't feel bad at all. It really should affect me more than that...

3. Hee! Yes, but only in the place of "said". She was like "I Am A JulNoWriMo Failure Too! Yay!".

Ooh, diet changes, Kalmay? Speaking of which...she was like "I Am A Diet Failure Too! Yay!". (You'd think all the Hairspray mad dancing would burn some calories, wouldn't you? But oh, no, of course not. Stupid metabolism needs to speed up. NOW.)

Look! A shiny thing! *is distracted*
Safaia
JulNo Member

Mood: melancholy

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 02:12 PM

Two Questions:

Yes, although I did make it further this year than I did last year. I blame burn out from working a ton and just not liking my story too much. I loved the idea going into it, but when I finally started writing it the words just would not come. I was on track for 11 days before I burned out. Day eleven was like pulling teeth and I skipped a day and it was just all down hill from there.

I'm ahead on my WriYe goal, I'm signed up to do AugNo and now I don't have an excuse to not do SeptNo. Am I mad at myself for losing? Yes, but I'm more angry that I let work get in the way of writing. I never want to lose my passion for writing and get lost in the rat race. I am completely terrified of that happening. As such, I am going into August with a new and very strange idea that I might do. If not that, then I'll work on the one I started this month and see if the spark comes back.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wCOT87k/]

[/url]

00 / 05 WiP\'s finished
18 R.A.T\'s completed
Screnzy 09: complete
04 / 06 works edited
watercolour
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 04:35 PM

Congratulations to all those who made the full 50K!

Congratulations also to all those who wrote a part story!

This month I've tried some new stuff, learned some, and written some, so I'm happy with that.

8-)
Kalmay
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 11:12 AM

Quote "arcticmoonshadow: Ooh, diet changes, Kalmay?"

yes, I'm checking out what I should or shouldn't be eating according to how it affects me. Allergy stuff. Found out I'm allergic to potatoes. No more french fries or potato chips for me! And pop. And certain packaged foods that contains all sorts of perservatives, etc. Basically, junk food!

So trying to eat a lot more fresh vegetables and fruits. Fruits I like!

2013 - JulNo - 00,000 / 50,000k
arcticmoonshadow
JulNo Member

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalmayyes, I'm checking out what I should or shouldn't be eating according to how it affects me. Allergy stuff. Found out I'm allergic to potatoes. No more french fries or potato chips for me! And pop. And certain packaged foods that contains all sorts of perservatives, etc. Basically, junk food!

So trying to eat a lot more fresh vegetables and fruits. Fruits I like!

I haven't had a french fry in...a really really long time. Months. Of course, I eat plenty of other junk...though I don't know how I'd live without my Diet Dr. Pepper. *drinks*

But Mom's decided as soon as my sister's off at college, we're buckling down. Mostly because she's the only skinny one and eats anything chocolate, so Mom buys it, and we eat it, and it's a vicious cycle that I'm sure won't be broken by her leaving. *shrug* Fruits and vegetables it is for all of us, it seems.

Look! A shiny thing! *is distracted*
dragonrhapsody
JulNo Writer

Mood: Workin\' hard & hardly working.

[*] posted on 8-11-2007 at 12:46 PM

If you're really interested in learning why your body stores fat and what foods to eat to stop you from:
- over eating and gaining weight
- eating bad foods that cause inflammation and ultimately make you gain weight

I got this book from my friend for my birthday, only because she knows how much I want to loose weight and stop eating bad - I'm allergic to milk, and I really looooove milk products! LOL

Anyway, the book is called YOU: On a Diet, by Dr. Oz -- he was on Oprah {I don't have cable so no watchy of the tv for me}. If you're really into finding out stuff like that, then that book would be perfect for you, it is for moi! XD

WaterRatsFan
Writing some semblance of a novel

Mood: Insane? Crazy? What's the difference?

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 08:04 PM

I failed, but only because university went back halfway through and the workload started from day one so I had no time to write this one. Maybe I'll write some this month.

Frank Holloway: I was taught by experts
Rachel Goldstein: Oh I bet

Helen Blakemore: If he insists on coming in here, we\'ll have to shoot him

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]