JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Romance] Making your romance work (logically)
EmptyPage
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: The Bond

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 02:43 PM
Making your romance work (logically)

Disclaimer: First off, let me say that by no means am I an expert, but I have been researching this quite thoroughly for a while, and I think I can give some good pointers. Of course there are probably plenty more people more qualified for this than I am, but I thought what the hey!

I'm sure most of you have heard at some point in your life, that no one knows why you fall in love. This is very false, and a BIG problem is that as writers, WE HAVE TO KNOW HOW THIS WORKS. In real life no one has to worry about why, because they don't need to make people believe in their romance, they know it works. We are inventing romance from scratch. You have two characters (or more I guess depending, but I'm sticking with two for this example, this can help with love triangles/angles/rhombus's as well.) and your plot. But now you have to make people believe these people are meant to be together.

You really only need one thing, but there are several other things that will help first I will explain, the first thing that you NEED, and give examples.
Our characters will be character a and character b.

1. The one thing your romance has to have, is that both of your characters desperately need something that only the other character can provide.

SPOILERS FOR THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY.
Examples include:
Hunger Games
Castle (the tv show)
Bicentennial Man (movie. Also from a book, that I haven't read yet)

Example 1: Katniss in The Hunger Games needs peace, she needs calm, from everything that she has dealt with, she needs a sense of harmony in her life. That is why she ends up with Peeta. Which is exactly what she says at the end of the book.

Example 2: Kate Beckett has had a pretty rough time, her mother was murdered and she is having difficulties with that, and then she comes upon Richard Castle's novels. They give her something to be interested in, something to entertain her amuse her, and she says that they helped her through a tough time. Castle loves mystery's and something he says about Kate later on is "I knew you were a mystery I was never going to solve." He needs mystery's and she is a continuing mystery for him, he will never figure her out.

Last example: The movie the Bicentennial Man is one of the very best examples for this because it hardly does anything else to make this romance work (mostly because it is a really small part of the story. Andrew is an Android who wants more, and Portia pushes him to become more human, than he knew he could be. Portia needs someone to make her laugh, Andrew makes her laugh better than anyone else can.

Recap: You need to put a hole in your characters that the other has to fill, and it has to be a pretty major hole.

Here are other ways to make the romance believable, and help it be the best love story of all time:

Give them back stories with huge similarities. (i.e. They both lost love, someone in their life died, they both were oppressed by someone.) Something that can connect them together, and no one else.

No one trusts character a except character b (This can help, because it shows that character b is the only one that believes in them. )

Have your characters talk at the same time. (this shows their deep connection to one another, that they think alike, but don't introduce it too early on.)

Other characters see that they should be together, even when they don't see it.

Place them in awkward romantic situations. (how they react in these situations is very important.)

Build up the tension for as long as you can. (people never like love stories where the characters get together immediate, making people wait is more rewarding for them.)

Make their falling in love gradual. One feeling leads to another leads to another leads to another.

MAKE SURE YOUR CHARACTER DOESN'T KNOW HOW THEY FELL IN LOVE. (unless that character is really really self aware, they won't know why.)

- Most of this information I got from investigating Shipping (when people see a connection between two characters and feel as though they are in love.) There is usually a reason for this, sometimes it is a very small reason like they would look cute together, but most of the time the reasons are a lot more in detail than that. What is really rewarding to the reader is when a writer knows what they are doing, and can then use that to their advantage. Some writers, do this on accident and they don't realize that they have unintentionally created the perfect love story (so they end up ruining it.)

The rest of my information came from the internet, and I have been searching for the article for almost an hour now and I cannot find it, it also talks about the hole that needs to be created. ALTHOUGH I did know about the hole before reading that article.

I hope this has been helpful for someone.
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 02:19 PM

I'll add one that seems to me to be a given, but I've seen it not done:

Make your characters likeable, even if they are terrible people.
If either partner [both] of a romance doesn't draw in the readers and get a reaction, or if they're just "I hate this character s/he's ewwwww", then the story is a flop for a romance.
EmptyPage
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: The Bond

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 03:41 PM

Well if the character is evil or has something we shouldn't like about them, they should definitely have something that we can relate to, or that makes us feel for them.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]