Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 07:57 AM
Melange’s Red Pigeons

Hi, this is Melange! I’m a 20yo Austrian student of Japanese language & culture. For my third JulNoWriMo I’m planning to write 50,000 words on a dystopian novel called Red Pigeons. So what does the blurb say about the plot?

After World War II, Japan, the Soviet Union and the German Reich make up the biggest red area on the political map. In Vienna, a diplomat son gathers a handful of Japanese exchange students to overthrow the system that politicians and universities use to control their people. They protest, demonstrate and spread the most dangerous opinions and activities, but the authority strikes back. Social complications, secrecy and treason threaten the revolution and dye a thousand pigeon feathers red.

My cast will consist of a few Japanese students trying to build a revolutionary organization starting with campus protest at the local university. I’m looking forward to trying out a 'what if' alternative scenario in which Japan allies with the Soviet Union instead of the USA. I’m also excited because the idea came to me in a lecture of Japanese politics and represents a genre I’ve never written before.

More to come & good luck to everyone!

Always keep the faith.
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 08:12 AM

Once you're finished please translate it into English and send me a copy. :P

Good luck! :)

~ ♥ ~
SlySionnach
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: Trip / Empty Brocade

Word Count: 121257 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 08:49 AM

Sounds awesome, Melange! Best of luck!

09: Trip- 50,055
10: Empty Brocade - 63,660
12: The Reanimation Code - FAIL
13: Only Illusion - 77,050
14: Finishing Novels - TBD

Zombie Writers Unit
If we fry our brains, we'll just take yours.
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: a time for love

Word Count: 10013 / 50000
Word Count Start20% Complete80% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 09:28 AM

Good luck Melange. Your novel sounds awesome. :)

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 12:14 PM

Sound like an awesome read and I hope you have fun writing it! XD

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

Mood: ecstatic and insatiate

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 03:16 PM

This sounds wonderful! Dystopians are all good and well on their own, but they get so much interesting when you throw in the historical, political, and social tensions and drama to it.

I agree with Tina. I would absolutely read this, if it were in English. ^^

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 04:59 PM

Thanks a lot, guys! I'm sure translating it would take the time and effort of another two WriMos. XD

I’ll provide you with character profiles, so I can use the preparation banner and pass the last 21 minutes until midnight. I’m so not prepared plot-wise.

Note: Names are in Japanese order, meaning family name comes first and first name last.

Takahashi Kirill: Son of a Japanese politician and a Russian. Led a sheltered life due to rich family, but got into revolutionary reading and discussion at university. After serving in the army and actually surviving the war, he moves to Vienna with his family. He’s cold and calculating, a strategic mastermind and the leader of the organization.

Asamiya Shun: Art student. He’ll be in charge of designing the newspaper and drawing 4-panel comics for it. Although he appears cute, he has a few less than innocent habits that’ll be revealed bit by bit. He’s my POV character!

Katakura Satoshi: Journalism student. Obviously he’ll be chief editor of the newspaper and in charge of PR. He’s also some sort of security chief since he knows all the leaks to get confidential information from. Nobody knows how he does it.

Kitano Yukihiro: Politics student. He’s a quiet workaholic and on the brink of graduating. Despite that, he helps the organization with his sharp mind. Health and safety are his priority.

Hirose Mako: Theater student, the only girl among the founding members. She’s a childhood friend of Yukihiro and gets involved through him. She knows him inside out, although they’re not in a romantic relationship. She knows what she wants and doesn’t behave like a Japanese girl at all.

You’ll also get character sketches as soon as I’ve access to a scanner tomorrow. Six minutes until midnight! Excuse me while I start the countdown.

Always keep the faith.
marsbareater12
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: little monsters

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 05:44 PM

Duuuuude. This sounds ace. ^^;

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 06:16 AM

I'm not a dude, but thank you! x)

As promised, here are my character sketches, complete with name in kanji and letters. The scribbling next to Katakura is interesting info I found while Wikipedia-ing his surname. Apparently the Katakura clan goes way back in Japanese history.

Here’s another one of Kitano because for mysterious reasons Tina likes him best. This one is less cute and more serious… I hope?

Always keep the faith.
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 06:28 AM

He's still my favourite. ^^ I don't think you're capable of drawing without the result being cute. Seems to be your style.

~ ♥ ~
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 06:46 PM

I guess you're right, haha.

Day one’s already over here and it’s been an amazing day! I wrote 2,027 words, got acquainted with my MC and briefly met Kitano for the first time.

Moreover, I had some interesting conversations and watched Taylor’s lovely vlog (twice!). I’m happy JulNo is finally here because I love the community. Although we’re not that many people here, I like how I can talk to different people or discover new aspects of familiar people every time July comes around. That’s the reason why I signed up to submit my own vlogs this year – I want to give something of me people haven’t seen before (except for Tina who met me irl).

Anyway, that doesn’t mean I dislike my story. I really like my story, especially the cast. It’s just that I don’t have a lot to say about them at this point. What I can say is that I’ve noticed differences in my writing style. Perhaps it’s because the topics are different, but it seems more sarcastic, ironic and humorous this time. It certainly fits the story and it’s fun to write though, so I won’t complain!

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 05:23 PM

At the end of day 2 I brought my word count up to 3,747 in total! I’m satisfied with my progress, especially because I started in the evening and found it hard to get into the flow.

But, I’m enjoying my novel more and more as the plot starts to unfold. The 1.7k I wrote today included a newspaper article, the first creepy scene to show that clumsy Shun also has a darker side and the first meeting of all key characters I mentioned above. The latter is also the first scene I came up with, so I’m very excited and happy that I finally get to write it. Takahashi really is the sort of cold-hearted mastermind I seem to have a weakness for, but I do expect him to get more three-dimensional the longer he works with the others.

I’m also a little afraid because I don’t have a clear plan of what will happen after that scene. The beginning tends to be the part that’s clearest in my head… then I work from a plan of 3-5 paragraphs that summarize major plot points. And I have to actually think about what drives my characters, why they should do certain things (that I want them to) or not do other things (like turning their back on those they’re meant to cooperate with!).

Anyway, it’s just the beginning. I’m having fun, and I’ll do my best to keep having fun. What Taylor said in her vlog really stuck with me: She encouraged us to be bad. Indeed, it’ll be horrible and I’m ready to accept that!

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:52 PM

Day 3 brings me up to 6,080 words! That means I wrote 2.3k today which is pretty awesome considering I had an exam in the evening. About half of that was written on the train in the morning (I swear, train rides do wonders!) and the other half in the evening with a bottle of Eristoff next to me. If I drink slowly, it has no effect except that I think less and type more. It’s why I love this drink. XD

I’ve ideas for the next few scenes, but I also need to research ideologies. Basically, the government started out as communist, but then got too bureaucrat for Takahashi’s taste, so he wants to replace it with his communism that isn’t corrupt and has no censorship. Don’t ask, I’ve no clue what I’m talking about (yet).

Despite a growing to do list, I’m happy the last exam is over (two in total, hah) and I can focus on the two things I want to devote July to: my uni thesis and Red Pigeons.

See you tomorrow.

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 04:54 PM

On day 4 I didn’t have the motivation to write more than 1k. Today I wrote another k that brought me up to 8,184 words. I feel like I’m getting better at churning out words, although I still have no clue where each scene will take me before it ends.

Regarding Red Pigeons, I’ve had an urge to research and outline instead of write recently. This novel deserves so much more planning than the bit I did and I feel bad for not doing more. Red Pigeons has the potential to be an epic piece of fiction, but I can’t do it justice with what I have and do. It leaves a sour taste.

Should I stop and take the time to actually plan? But I don’t want to fall behind in week one – the rest of the month will be busy enough without me creating additional drama. What I’ve been doing up until now is probably the only thing I can do: Write what comes to mind and do research on the side. It’ll suffice, but it’s far from ideal.

Or is it the shock that I forgot the feeling of writing crap?

Always keep the faith.
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 05:47 PM

I hope everything works out great for you today in week one Melange. :)

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 06:36 PM

Thank you, Marie!

After worrying about my lack of motivation for the better part of the day, I sat down to continue the scene started yesterday and watched the characters come to life! It was totally unexpected. They were to discuss administrative matters, the manifesto and first activities, but somehow they launched into a heated ideological debate. I didn’t know if I could pull it off without any research on the underlying philosophies, but apparently I can! It’s all Katakura’s fault. He’s slightly fanatic… or is it just an act? That’s hard to tell with him. Anyway, I broke 10k! 10,128 words, to be precise.

The five key characters got fancy titles for their positions in the organization as well:

• Takahashi: President of the Central Executive Committee & the Central Secretariat
  • Shun: Deputy General Secretary of the Central Executive Committee & Secretary of Cultural Affairs
  • Katakura: Secretary of Information and Propaganda & Chief Editor of the newspaper
  • Kitano: Vice President of the Central Executive Committee & Secretary of Public Affairs
  • Hirose: General Secretary of the Central Executive Committee & Secretary of Finance

*They’re based on a real student organization most active during the 50s and 60s.

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 04:24 PM

Today I wrote just enough words to stay on track. Red Pigeons is up to 11,301 words, but I see it as an accomplishment that I hit that goal much faster than the last few days. Yesterday really broke the wall of discomfort at my lack of planning. Now I can write freely and enjoy whatever the characters throw at me – the way it’s supposed to be.

There’s another reason why I’m glad I hit the daily goal two hours earlier than yesterday: The kind of work I do every day since uni ended is mentally draining. I read books and take notes until late afternoon / evening, then I take a short break and switch to novel writing. That means I use my brain all the time. Despite the fact that I went out to do things the last three days and technically had some distraction and physical activity, I feel drained every night. The thing is that if I keep feeling drained, I can barely stay on track, but I don’t have it in me to get ahead, although I really want to. Damn you, thesis!

Anyway, that’s my bunch of problems for today. I might write more until midnight or I might just do something more relaxing.

Always keep the faith.
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 04:26 PM

Congrats on reaching 11.3k today Melange. Keep going you can do it. :)

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 04:37 PM

Yesterday was spent reading and watching Japanese drama episodes, but I got quite a bit of writing in. Having a day off uni work felt good too. Thanks to that, I could return to both research and writing with fresh motivation. Even after hitting the daily goal, I kept going because I wanted to hit 15k. Now I’m up to 15,011 words and more than satisfied!

The characters are dictating the story now. Even so, I noticed the pace is slow and there’s a lot of dialogue. There’s a lot of dialogue in all of my stories, but this one has a good bit of action and battle planned. I hope it’ll come in time. I’ve almost finished part 1 of 7.

Oh, and I accidentally came across the house Shun lives in on my way back from a library. I knew the general area before, but it’s even nicer to have a clear visual.
:D

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 05:16 PM

It’s just after midnight and I managed to write a little over 1.6k on day 10! That brings me up to 16,620 words. Watching Tina’s second vlog has helped my writing a lot today, so if you haven’t watched it yet, I highly recommend it.

In the novel, Takahashi just gave an impressive speech in front of a large audience. It’s ideologically thin, but so rich in rhetoric techniques that even I’m tempted to believe in his values… or something. I should probably get some sleep before saying more.

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-11-2013 at 05:28 PM

Once again, I wrote over 1.5k which brought my words up to 18,126. I’m still not quite getting ahead, but keeping up has gotten easier. A combination of various factors has led me to rediscovering why I loved writing and enjoyed the writing process in the first place. As a result, I can focus on the story without having a peek at the word count every few sentences and that is most important of all.

Now all I need is a better video recording device before Saturday rolls around…

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 05:25 PM

Once again, I wrote around 1.6k – up to 19,818 in total! I would’ve loved to crack 20k today, but it’s late (in fact it’s already tomorrow) and I kind of want to read a book.

I didn’t start writing until 9pm, but word wars really got me going! Rowena and Impy were nice or desperate enough to do them with me. Having someone to write with or against (what works best in your mind) is always better than writing on your own. It also mutes the inner editor for some time which can produce surprisingly good scenes.

Tomorrow will be busier…

Always keep the faith.
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 05:33 PM

I hope everything turns out great for you today Melange. :)

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 06:33 PM

I didn’t update for a while because I couldn’t think of anything worth saying other than word count. Nevertheless, I did pretty well recently – at 27,106 words I’m even a little bit ahead! The story also evolved a lot and several unexpected developments have been reported.

• The first demonstration ended in an outburst of violence and Takahashi had to shoo away the police.
  • Kitano is blamed and scolded which makes him withdraw and hole up in his apartment for a few days.
  • Shun kind of likes Ophelia (secretary for student welfare), but I don’t put them together often. For some reason I dislike them as a couple.

Part 1 came up to 15,900 words. I’m currently in the middle of part 2 that’s almost at 10k. My plan has 7 parts, although the last is an epilogue with only one or two scenes. That means the novel will span at least 90k – which is quite exciting. I’ve never written anything over 70k before!

Always keep the faith.
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 03:46 PM

Just hit 29,026 words. Something happened in the scene I finished today.

Apparently there’s another evil mastermind in my cast! He’s been hiding it for almost 30k, but there he is: Kitano did his own thing behind Takahashi’s back. The first demonstration ending in a taste of violence and disaster (also known as police), that was all his idea. Nobody had a clue, not even me, until Shun came to visit and he told the whole story. I’m shocked. Ever since Tina expressed interest in him that I didn’t quite understand, I’ve been wondering if there was something behind his impeccable façade that I missed. Here it is.

BANG! He’s the most subtle villain of all. He’ll be secret leader of the radicals in another 10 or 20k.

This is why I write things and this is why I don’t need too detailed a plan. When things like this happen, that’s worth all the doubts and frustration.

Always keep the faith.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]