Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [JulNoWrimo Progress Reports] Beyond the Walls
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 08:51 AM
Beyond the Walls

I decided it would be a more productive use of my time to work on my current WIP, which is a complete rewrite of last year's JulNo, since I meant to be working on it during June but never got around to it. I'm glad cause it means it will force me to write every day, which I haven't been able to get into a routine of doing without a WriMo. I'm worried because a) I don't want to fall into the pattern of just writing to get the WC, and then having what I wrote be bad (what happened last year) - I have to challenge myself to write for the quality, not quantity, even if I am trying to hit 50k, and b) I already have about 16,400 words of this project, and I don't know if it's going to be 65k or 66k total, so I may have to finish off the 50k with another project.

So. About this project...

It's a rewrite of last year's JulNo, which was titled The Last Escape. This one is (super tentatively!) titled Beyond the Walls, except that's kind of cheesy and I'm going to change it.

It's written in 3rd person limited, alternating between 3 characters, and is really character-driven although I've also done a lot of work on the plot lately. The summary and the character descriptions are probably pretty bad, but oh well :P

Summary: In the Citadel, an ancient walled city whose dictator ensures that the classes remain seperate, it is considered high treason to help anyone enter - or leave. Lauren, a rich, sheltered debutante, has never given much thought to the world beyond her window, but when her older sister Beck disappears overnight with no explanation, she has to do something. With the help of her best friend Finn, she finds an eccentric stranger who knows where Beck is - for a price. But what will they discover about the Citadel in their quest to find Beck? And is the stranger really helping out of the goodness of her heart?

Characters:

Lauren, the MC and one of three narrators; 16 years old; looking for her older sister Beck

Finn, also an MC and one of three narrators; 16 years old; Lauren's best friend, agrees (somewhat reluctantly) to help her look for Beck; in a relationship with Mark (that Lauren doesn't know about)

Vine, the third narrator; 20 years old; from the lower class; befriends Lauren after she finds out what she is doing

Mark, Finn's boyfriend and the future leader of the Citadel

Indi, the stranger who agrees to help Lauren; involved with Shade

Kitty, Vine's girlfriend

Shade, Vine's younger brother

My Goal:. Um. Good question. Right now I'm on chapter 4 of what I'm guessing will be 15 chapters (plus a prologue), although I haven't actually plotted out what will happen every chapter. I already have ~16.5k written, so I guess my goal will be another 50k during the month of July, or however much it takes me to finish the story; if I don't hit 50k on this, I'll go back and work on the Great American Road Trip Novel

Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 09:45 AM

When I try to write for quality I turn into a slug and take forever to write anything. But, I do get what you mean about writing while focusing more on the word count than the story, so I wish you good luck!! XD

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: a time for love

Word Count: 10013 / 50000
Word Count Start20% Complete80% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 09:55 AM

Good luck Rowena. :)

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 12:52 PM

Tatra - yeah that's kind of what happened when I tried to work on this for my Senior Work Project in May. I meant to get as close to finishing it as I could...and I got to chapter 4, because no one was actually monitoring how much I was writing so I was super unmotivated. So I'm hoping the WriMo thing will force me to be motivated, and the fact that I'm rewriting it and actually have a plot this time will help me with the quality thing.

Marie - thanks!

SlySionnach
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Trip / Empty Brocade

Word Count: 121257 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 01:12 PM

I think I turned to a quality-vs-quantity thing a few WriMos ago and man, it got tough. It's definitely a challenge to do 50k of decent/good words as opposed to 50k of decent/needs work words. But we'll cheer you along until you get there!

09: Trip- 50,055
10: Empty Brocade - 63,660
12: The Reanimation Code - FAIL
13: Only Illusion - 77,050
14: Finishing Novels - TBD

Zombie Writers Unit
If we fry our brains, we'll just take yours.
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 04:34 PM

Thanks...it might end up being a kind of I try to write some of this every day, and then do something else to get the rest of the words, but if I aim for 2k a day it's not that much. And hopefully it'll be better than the first draft anyway cause I did a lot of plotting.

I guess we'll see how it goes :P

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 02:44 PM

Update: I finished reading through (and editing/adding to) the 16k of this WIP that I already had done, so now I'm getting started on the rest of it (the additional 50k I'm doing for JulNo). So far I have 1.5k and I've finished Chapter 4 (and have almost gotten to the first plot point or the end of Act I in terms of Three-Act Structure) so now I'm going to go get ready for the day (even though it's almost 4 p.m. now) and prepare myself to start work tomorrow (which hopefully won't impede my writing too too much)

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 07:37 PM

Update: I've now reached page 50 of this WIP (even though it's 1.5 spacing and I've only written about 3k during July so far), so I'm celebrating that milestone! Also, I realized I left out some important setting and character info in my original summary so I'm adding that now.

The setting is a walled city on a bay. Right next to the bay, situated on a hill, is the rich side of town, which is called the Hill. Lauren, Finn, and Mark are all from the Hill. At the base of the Hill is the Plaza, which has the main government building for the poor side of town, known as the City or City proper, as well as several cafes and shops that serve the Hill teens who like to come down to the City for lunch and feel rebellious. The farther out you get from the Plaza, the more dangerous and poor the City becomes. Vine, Indi, Kitty, and Shade all live in the City, although only Vine and Shade were born there.

Where I currently am in the story (chapter 5) - Lauren and Finn have gone into the City to look for Lauren's sister Beck. They found Indi, who offered to give Lauren information about Beck's whereabouts if Lauren spied on her father, the Citadel Treasurer. Lauren was hesitant, but agreed after she found out that her father wants to marry her off to the man her sister was engaged to. She's just about to tell Finn about the deal and enlist his help.

marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 06:27 PM

I love the names of the characters from your novel Rowena. Congrats on the win of 1.5k in your novel. I hope everything goes great for you today. :)

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 06:40 PM

Thanks - the assortment of names was really weird before, 'cause I only had the City characters (Vine, Indi, Kitty, and Shade, as well as a guy named Ink) and it was like "normal names? What?" but then I added in Lauren, Finn and Mark which hopefully evens it out a bit :P

marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 12:36 PM

That's great that your character cast evened out a bit Rowena. :)

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 06:57 PM

Update: I've finished Chapter 7, and hit 17k for July, and 33k total for my novel. I'm now desperately trying to catch up, seeing as how I made the unfortunate decision to a) get a retail job in addition to my camp counselor job, b) work *both* of those jobs for the next two weeks (tomorrow, I'll be with small children from 9-12:30, and then I go to sell clothes for small children from 2-9), and c) procrastinate so I didn't get ahead at all at the beginning of the month, and we're now halfway through D: yikes! I'm starting to seriously worry about reaching 50k this month. Then again, I'm hoping that as it gets closer to the end of July, if I'm still behind, my desire to meet that goal will inspire me to get that last 50k. I think I have a few free days at the end of July, or I might have stopped working by then (I'm really bad at retail guys), so *shrugs* we'll see.

In terms of plot, I have a few more scenes, maybe one or two chapters before I reach the midpoint of my story, where Lauren is at her lowest point. Probably one more chapter and maybe another scene of set-up to get there, and then chapter 9 will be her going to the person who tells her the thing that throws her into a tailspin (ending in a cliffie, of course!) Shortly following that will be the midpoint for the Finn & Mark subplot, as well as the Vine subplot (although I haven't given that one much set-up yet...guess that's what second drafts are for!). So I think I'm pretty well on track for the 15 chapters I kinda saw this as being.

So...yeah. Sorry that was super long, and wish me luck writing another 3k tonight! I want to hit 20k!

marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 07:00 PM

Good luck Rowena. :)

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]