Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help Wanted!
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 01:38 PM
Help Wanted!

so never mind I decided I'm working on a different WIP for JulNo this year...yeah. Sorry!

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to put this, so feel free to move it/tell me where to move it to.

hi all! so for my JulNo this year I'm writing about two best friends, Nick and Amanda, who just graduated from high school and are going on a road trip. They've been best friends since they were little kids, and Nick has been in love with Amanda for almost that long, yet she remains completely oblivious.

And I have a reason for explaining all of this, I promise! Instead of actually working to plot this novel, I'm taking a more seat-of-the-pants approach - I'm going to print a map of the U.S. and point to random places, and that's where they'll go; and I'm going to have a list of random things they can do in those places to use to decide what should happen in each place.

But I need ideas for the random things they can do! Any ideas you may have - little things, big things, whatever - post them here and I'll add them to the list! Dare-type ideas would be awesome as well (I'm hoping to use some of the dares once that thread is started up again anyway).

So yeah! Help me figure out what they're going to do! Thanks :D

[Edited on 6-27-2013 by rowena]

Mel
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 01:54 PM

I think it depends on the locations! I would pick silly tourist attractions in each place. Like my hometown, which has some weird shoe shaped house. (this! http://www.shoehouse.us/images/shoesidegoodbig.jpg)

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 02:03 PM

Thanks for the link! I am going to try and look up some touristy things for them to do in every place, but I also want to have ideas for things that can happen between them/could happen in any place, or something. Gah I'm probably making like zero sense and not explaining this at all well sorry

KathrineROID
JulNo Procrastinator

Mood: Halp
JulNoWriMo Title: undecided

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 12:25 AM

OK, go to TV Tropes. Go to tropes by genre. Go to the genre that bests fits your book, and just start... doing tropes. Use the first trope to write your next scene, and then either use a trope clicked from that page or next on the list for the next scene, etc. For bizarreness, randomly go through the genres and pick tropes to base scenes off of.

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 08:15 AM

Ohmygod I love TV tropes so much. You don't understand how much time I can waste on that site :P But that's a very good suggestion (if I don't end up getting distracted)

robertsloan2
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Belief

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 04:37 AM

Dinosaur museums abound out West. There are some that have dinosaur tracks and sites you can visit, they have big skeletons on display, lots of good stuff. Also there are roadside dinosaurs and other roadside large artworks all over the country near highways. Giant statues of Paul Bunyan and things like that. Weird stuff. There's castles made of shells. Sculptures made out of lots of old cars welded together.

There's a lot of large public art that goes unnoticed except by people taking road trips. Some of it is tacky, some of it silly, some of it breathtaking. Whenever they stop you could have some sort of symbolic giant concrete sculpture looming over them or showing up right before or at their exit.

You could turn that into a synchronicity pattern too, easily, as the topics of the sculptures relate to how their relationship's going and the things they talk about and think about. She says "you're such a fossil" and the next place they stop there's a giant sauropod looming over the parking lot.

They'd notice it eventually.

Spooky things like that happen on road trips.

There's also weather. Hit them with tornadoes in the Midwest. Nothing worse than being out in a CAR between towns when you see the funnel, you have to get out and lay in the ditch and hope your car doesn't get picked up and dropped on you. Loads of fun things. Hurricanes down South or on the coasts. Avalanches in the mountains, or falling rocks.

When I was a kid, a bald eagle buzzed my dad while we were going up one of those twisty mountain roads in the Rockies. It almost hit the windshield at high speed. We would have been dead. It probably would've killed dad with the impact, gone through windshield and then likely we'd go off the dang cliff which of course was right to the side of the car as he was starting to make the turn. That was one of the scariest points.

The other was a bear in Yellowstone sticking its head into the window where the family miniature poodle was in mom's lap, the bear's head bigger than the dog. It was looking for marshmallows, the greedy beggar. My sister threw them out of the back window and that eventually got it to pull out and go looking for the food. I was tossing them one by one trying to get its attention, she grabbed the whole bag and threw it.

Just some fun stuff to throw at your characters.

Oh and wolves have returned to Yellowstone, your characters might hear them romantically howling some night.
rainbowjar
JulNo Writer

Mood: lazylazylazy
JulNoWriMo Title: Day Job

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 10:09 PM

Some of my characters in an old JulNo of mine also went on a road trip- it was my favorite part of the novel to write :D In addition to the occasional stops at some specific destination, they spent a lot of time fighting over who had to drive next, speculating about the life stories of other drivers on the road (based off bumper stickers, etc), worrying about how they would get food in the less-inhabited segments of the journey, and stopping at the side of the road to construct spontaneous art installments.

That all might be more mundane then you're looking for, but it's what popped into my head when I read your post. Good luck with your novel!

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]