JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: [Fantasy] What are you writing about?
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

Mood: ecstatic and insatiate

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 02:29 PM
What are you writing about?

Hey fantasy writers! Since no one's started this thread yet, I figured I'd give it a go. Here's a place to share your fantasy novel summaries (or your barely coherent plot thoughts) with the rest of us. :D It might be wise to include your WC goal, too, to give us a clue as to the scope of your project.

Here's mine:

Atlas, a disenfranchised wolfboy, is seeking cities and crowds, to purify him and legitimize him and wash this wolf out of his belly. There is something about them, a draw to them, that makes him feel crazy and electric and alive. He takes it upon himself one morning to run away and find a better life in one, whichever one would have him.

He didn’t intend to end up in Rome County, Montana. He didn’t intend to meet Perl. He didn’t intend for anything to happen the way it did.

My goal for this month is 100,000 words.

SlySionnach
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: Trip / Empty Brocade

Word Count: 121257 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 06:10 PM

Hello there!

I'm glad you started this thread. I saw it empty the other day and was like, "But I don't wanna be the fiiirst."

This year, I am doing a mix of fantasy and horror, heavy on the fantasy. The full summary is in my prog thread but I can summarize the summary here:

Necromancer-summoned zombies in a desert-setting fantasy world.

Bam.

09: Trip- 50,055
10: Empty Brocade - 63,660
12: The Reanimation Code - FAIL
13: Only Illusion - 77,050
14: Finishing Novels - TBD

Zombie Writers Unit
If we fry our brains, we'll just take yours.
Elizabeth Anne Ensley
JulNo Member

Mood: Tired

smiley14.gif posted on 6-18-2013 at 07:25 PM

Hey, yo!

Assuming I get my energy levels back up (recent diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis, a few trips to the ER plus extended hospital stays and so forth, and just signed on the dotted line as a lung transplant candidate, and yes, it's been an exhausting year, so far), I'm writing a YA fantasy. It's part of a series, I think I've finally found the beginning (been looking for years, and the choice of genre is a good part of determining the storyline), and...yea. Let's see if I can stay awake for at least 50k. Later A later book concerns a necromancer, but this first book concerns a discovery. It will end up being split between two MC. It's sort of a cross-world thing. Two separate, yet one unified, storyline or lines or madness, infinite madness.

:D

Regards,
Elizabeth Anne Ensley
narcissistic-whale
JulNo Member

Mood: Ugh.
JulNoWriMo Title: Adern Y Corph

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 01:46 AM

My novel is hard to summarize, but it is based off of Welsh folklore and creatures. One of the main creatures is the Adern Y Corph, which is a Welsh faerie that is able to take the form of a raven. It coos outside of the window of someone who is about to die. I would love to make it to 50 K, but I have some doubt that I will. I tend to be easily distracted.
Anagnorisis09
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 05:53 PM

I'm revising last year's JulNo and not writing anything next month, so maybe I don't qualify to post here. But I'll do it anyway. :D

A vengeful revolutionary works undercover as the king's bodyguard to destroy him from within the dynasty. But she discovers that the world of politics and power is far more difficult to navigate than she initially believed, and she finds herself caught deep within the dramas of the court--jeopardizing both her mission and her life.

. . . At least, that's what the novel should be about when I finish revisions (whenever that is). Right now the actual manuscript is somewhat different and has an extra plot line that I'm taking out.

Saber, 50K (JulNo '10)
Uncover, 50K (NaNo '10)
Turning Coats, 65K (JulNo '11)
Entanglements, 80K (JulNo '12)
Nella Fantasia
JulNo Member

Mood: Inspired
JulNoWriMo Title: Lotte

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 09:14 AM

I definitely fall into the category of "barely coherent plot thoughts". I didn't decide I was doing JulNo until this morning.

What little I've managed to come up with has been about a young blacksmith apprentice who leaves the honest working life to join a mercenary group. It's all about their shenanigans. And woman power. I'll throw in some magic, a cursed assassin, a dragon lord with an obsession for brightly-colored frocks or something, I dunno. Either I'll figure it out today or run with it come July 1st.
FantasyFreak
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos is Thicker than Blood

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 12:09 AM

Hey Nella, I want to do a book suggestion for you if you're looking for something to read. J. A. Pitts novel 'Black Blade Blues' is an urban fantasy and the main character is a blacksmith apprentice. Really cool book and your summary made me think of it.

As for my plot... I'm dabbling in urban fantasy. I think it's been what I've always wanted to write I've just never been real fond of the idea of needing to know the place I'm writing in. I don't get attached to places real easily so I barely know where anything is where I live, let alone anywhere else even if I've been there. It always seemed so much easier to make up a place so I always tried writing sword and castle fantasies, never really getting anywhere.

Plot:

Cecile Thorsen is a full time starving artist until the fateful day where she saves a kid, Lesley Corrinth, from being killed by wizards in the middle of Seattle. Not that she knows they were wizards but she saw one of them zap Lesley's father, killing him, with a lightning bolt. From there Lesley's rich Uncle, Thaddeus Wilkes, hires Cecile to be Lesley's nanny and tutor, giving her a room in his mansion and more money than she could ever know what to do with. But its the unusual magickal books she finds that become the real treasure, until it turns out that she's part of an ancient prophecy to restore balance to magick lest the world get destroyed.

That's the gist of it anyways. She's a reincarnated Sorceress from ancient times and Thaddeus is the reincarnated King and they've got this epic cross-time romance to play out. Of course Thaddeus has a rival in that regard in the form of some guy I haven't named yet...

Yup, you can tell I've totally got this thing planned out... I've already written 7k of it, though. I'll likely be shooting for a smaller goal than 50k for Julno. My friend and I have decided that at the minimum we'll get 25k but I'd really like to do 50k... but I'm not going to force myself and end up ruining my writing in the process
jul_sea24
JulNo Member

Mood: I'm writing, be right back.
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled Yet

Word Count: 28304 / 50000
Word Count Start57% Complete43% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 12:44 AM

Hey. I'm definitely scattered in terms of my novel ideas, and I'm having a tough time connecting my two ideas into one so far, but I still have 5 days to figure it out and see how I do. The main problem I'm having so far is having too many characters and locking on one idea, which is why I have 2 that might work together.
My novel will be about 2 parallel worlds - one that is fantasy, one that is realistic but way down the future. The fantasy is having a power struggle based on different organism races after the aristocratic family is assassinated in which only but a child is saved. The realistic novel is set in the high future in which America is ruled by a king and queen, and the court system is based on fair trials, kind of like the king and queen rules and sets the rules/government for the society, while the court is in charge of maintaining balance and peace and so on. But this reality stricken world is not nearly as perfect and individuals start revolting and causing a power struggle.
I hope to include several points of view in this novel, and I know all the characters (well, most of them) HOWEVER I'm still trying to connect the dots between the two plots. I have an idea, but not fully sure if it will work out. Some part of me is hoping that I'll figure it out as I work on the book, so I will start working on parts and then figure things out from there.
My goal is 90-100k this year, which shouldn't be that hard - I did around 80k last year...
Elizabeth Anne Ensley
JulNo Member

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 11:57 AM

I hope I have the energy to keep up with you all. I have a better idea of what I'm writing now, even if one of my characters had to undergo a gender differentiation in order for it to happen. No oatmeal was involved in that decision.

Regards,
Elizabeth Anne Ensley
KeepCalmAndWriteOn
JulNo Member

Mood: Determined
JulNoWriMo Title: Catalyst

Word Count: 28015 / 50000
Word Count Start56% Complete44% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 12:34 PM

My novel is set in the world as we know it, but with a bunch of fantasy creatures, magic, and action/adventure - but I think this is probably the most likely category! First part of a five-part YA/older kid series, I'm trying my hand at writing simpler narrative, which should be... interesting.

A basic summary of my plot is that my MC, Eilley, gets kidnapped by a bunch of 'pirates' because she's actually got the off-kilter elemental blood - ie. with added water - that they do. In between fighting a bunch of fantastical sea monsters that like to attack 'pirates', she gets blackmailed by some mer during a test which involves her at the bottom of the ocean, and ends up helping the enemy because she's being threatened.

Not quite figured out what will happen in between her fulfilling those conditions and her (and the sidekick) being hailed as saving the day, but hopefully that'll come in time...!

I've been having masses of fun working out all the intricacies of elemental magic and blood stuff, though :D

My aim is 50-60K, since I'm not very good at just bs-ing my writing - I think too much about it, my stamina isn't fantastic, and I've not got that much time this July - but I'm hoping I can still make it! I've won NaNo/JulNo three times before so maybe fantasy will help me continue that streak :)

[Edited on 26/6/2013 by KeepCalmAndWriteOn]
FantasyFreak
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 06:13 PM

KeepCalm, sounds like you're writing Urban Fantasy: it's what they call a modern day setting with fantasy elements to it. Technically Twilight is an Urban Fantasy... but we try to ignore Twilight when possible...
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 06:22 PM

FantasyFreak - I'm intrigued by your story! I have a soft spot for reincarnated-magical-people type fantasies :)

I'm super impressed with everyone's plotting ideas though...my JulNo is *technically* urban fantasy, I suppose, because the premise is that my MC, Nick, is part of a long line of wizards/mages/magical people and has to go on a solo quest to find the source of his inspiration so he can actually do magic when he goes off to the magical college his family has attended for generations. Except that's really just the set-up and the way magic works isn't at all well developed, and the story is more about the shenanigans he and his best friend Amanda get into (she has to drive him cause he can't drive, even though it's supposed to be a solo quest) on their road trip. And his unrequited love for her. But I suppose it's technically fantasy ;)

Nella Fantasia
JulNo Member

Mood: Inspired
JulNoWriMo Title: Lotte

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 10:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FantasyFreak  
Hey Nella, I want to do a book suggestion for you if you're looking for something to read. J. A. Pitts novel 'Black Blade Blues' is an urban fantasy and the main character is a blacksmith apprentice. Really cool book and your summary made me think of it.

Hey, thanks! I'll put it on my to read list.
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 07:45 AM

My title this year is Shadows and Lies and is a rewrite of one I wrote a few years ago (but never completely finished) titled Time for Change.

ANYWAY! I typed up the blurb yesterday for my Progress Report, so ignore the general crappy-ness.

Sparrow is an anomaly in a world that is under the dictator-like control of a man who calls himself Emperor. She lives outside the strictly controlled life of everyone else. But one day, with no warning, that life is turned upside down. Men that work for Emperor find her, and those she keeps safe. She is captured, but they do not hold her for long before a group of rebels rescues her.

But she is so much more than meets the eye. Her power, so much more than that of anyone in recent memory (save Emperor), could be the key to finally over throwing him, and gaining their freedom.

But not everything is how it seems, and the secrets beneath the lies and pretty paint could unravel everything they hope to achieve.

nancy.beck
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 07:15 AM

I didn't even know there was a July nanowrimo! :P Then again, I've never done the other one, either...

Anyway, I have a series going (my second one), and I'm kind of stuck as to where the 3rd one in the series is going to go. I mean, I have a general idea, but just haven't figured it out yet.

The basic premise is: Karolina, a werewolf from Pennsylvania, escapes the torture of her parents to hide in plain sight in 1929 New York City. But she wants to be a Broadway star, so staying alive is going to be very trying. (I know that's kind of craptastic, but, eh, it'll get better once I get closer to upload day.)

This third one will take place in late November/early December 1934, with the tentative title of Werewolf at the Polo Grounds. Karolina is still around but she's super paranoid, because she died near the end of the prior story and came back to life (the Angel of Death made a mistake ;)). There was an American football championship won by the NY Giants that came to be called the Sneaker Game - because the Giants got rid of their cleats and donned basketball sneakers! How I'm going to get Karolina there was partially solved by her meeting the owner in the 2nd book (she met Babe Ruth in the 1st book), so it won't be from completely out of the blue.

Anyhoo, I haven't written anything in weeks, and I can't stand it, so I thought I would give July nanowrimo a shot.
FantasyFreak
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rowena  
FantasyFreak - I'm intrigued by your story! I have a soft spot for reincarnated-magical-people type fantasies :)

Thanks! I always have been too but never really feel like anybody does them the way I want them to be done... so it's just about time that I actually write one of my own XD

Your story sounds like fun. Shenanigans are always entertaining
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 12:16 AM

Hm. About a "wolf shifter" boy, Yas, on a planet where the avg lifespan is 160yrs, and a form of secondary puberty occurs usually a few years after "regular" puberty. Since the various races have developed into being shifters, magic users, fire users, earth sensers, and dream walkers, this two year stage of secondary puberty is important, because a.) they are infertile and b.) they can't use their abilities fully or at all, depending on the race, until after they've gone through it. Unfortunately, no one wants to be around them during this period, and kids leave society for 2yrs. Most get their secondary puberty a few years after finishing regular puberty.
Yas is short, slim, blonde, quiet and loves nothing better than a good fight, though he doesn't pick them. He is one of the rare people who managed to have both puberty and secondary puberty onset simultaneously. He's 14 going on 15, where most people are around twenty to thirty in their secondary puberty. He gets tangled up with some interesting people, who are going to become a permanent part of his life. I'm not sure exactly where I'm taking the story, but I plan to follow his life for several years, probably until he's about 26. His parents are wolf-shifters, and he assumes he is too, but when he's done with his dual puberties, he'll discover that apparently not all his ancestors were wolf shifters, because he's a cougar shifter.
Maikos Madigan: a half breed earth senser/magic user, around 21. He prefers to talk rather than use violence and regularly talks Yas into a corner and wins disagreements that way. But if he snaps, he's extremely efficient at violence, and killed two of a group of three adults who were kidnapping kids to sell. He's tall, black haired, blue eyed, and muscular with a good build. In a lot of ways, Maikos drives this story.
Liam Hilreign: a half breed fire user/dream walker, he's a fire user like his mother. He's red haired, tallish, lean/slender, and has brown and red eyes. Currently he's picking fights and laughing, but normally he's reserved, quiet and scholarly. His twin is Shann. They are around 20.
Shann Hilreign: a half breed fire user/dream walker, she's a dream walker like her father. She's red haired, quite tall for a woman, slender, and has green eyes. Right now she's acting timid and submissive, but normally she's a self confident woman. She's the woman Yas will eventually marry.
Other important characters will enter the story, but I haven't quite decided who and when yet.
Half breeds and throwbacks are rare on this world, more from custom than because it's forbidden, so Yas has a lot of cultural stuff to adjust to, even though wolf shifters are the dominant group in the area and the largest group on the planet.
raven_heart
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Voice of Shadows

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 08:23 PM

Hey everyone! This is the first time in a long while that I'm able to participate in a NaNo, and I plan to fiddle with writing for both JulNaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo. How fun can that be?

Anyway, my novel is called Voice of Shadows. In a fantasy world where all red-haired people are supposed to learn magic to become witches and wizards, Myra Lyna feels like an outcast among other red-heads because she always fails at magic. An expected surprise comes up when Myr discovers she has an older half-sister, a mercenary playing an important mission in the threatening war. Myr sets out on an unexpected journey, where she moves in the company of shadows, and learns a new kind of magic.
carolfanta
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Xahala

[*] posted on 6-30-2013 at 09:20 PM

Hello! I'm re-starting from scratch a story I first planned 9 years ago. I tried to write it last year but I had too much going on last July, This time I think I have more time and also a better feeling about how I want to tell this story.

It's about a world where everything is changing, but not necessarily for the better. As the years pass, fewer and fewer people are able to use magic, as if new technologies were making it superfluous. Old kingdoms are falling, but a new age of democracy still seems far away, as a dictator seizes the most powerful cities one by one. Nature is getting harsher, the world is getting drier, and the few enchanters who can charm water are hunted by the dictator's army.
wrampage
JulNo Member

Mood: Meh! ... GET TO WORK.... meh!
JulNoWriMo Title: Violet(rewrite) and Chronicles of sin BOOK 2

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 12:00 AM

I'm working on two fantasy novels this month.

One is a rewrite of a previous wrimo which has been torn apart and I'm hoping it will fall back together. It details the chaotic life of Violet, recently orphaned, she finds herself trying to fit in with her strange relatives all why keeping her ability to turn invisible a secret. But everyone in her new home seems to have a secret and not all of them are as harmless as her own.

My second project for the month is the second book in my life after death series, The Chronicles of Sin, which follows Penny, recently dead, she's been taken under Riv's wing. But the rogues are still in pursuit and when an old accomplice betrays them, Penny finds that the loyalty doesn't always rest easily on the side of good or evil. Can she come to terms with her new life without losing her soul?

This month is also exciting because I'm restarting my milwordy this month^__^ Good luck to you all on your novels and may your word counts be plentiful.
Ashe Elton Parker
JulNo Member

Mood: Outline! More outline!
JulNoWriMo Title: Where There's Always Sunshine

Word Count: 55635 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

smiley16.gif posted on 7-1-2013 at 04:17 AM
This Year's Project

I'm doing a sort of rebel thing here. I've got a massive project which is actually at least two novels in one, likely three, and a lot of revising to do after it's completed to make it totally coherent as a whole series.

Current description/synopsis is: Refusing to choose an "appropriate" career, Géta finds himself cast into the Priesthood by the hands of his parents. Because of his talents with the flute, he is pushed into the Service of playing for the Mage Asthané, thrown into a pending war, and forced to learn Gods-Given Gifts he never asked for. Then the enemy makes a daring move to capture him. Now Géta must fight free or die without betraying his secrets.--and it isn't even completely right any more considering the notes I've added for future outlining this past weekend.

That's another thing. The outline is incomplete. I'm about 40 cards ahead of where I'm writing scenes and my goal with it is to stay at least that many ahead, but it's far from complete and I don't even know how the series will end. LOL

Current total wordcount (as of wee-hours July 1st) is 100.3k. I expect this thing to total out somewhere between 120-150k. Starting JulNo count is 2038.
robertsloan2
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Belief

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 10:21 AM

Well, this is my first time with JulNoWriMo and I had no idea what I was doing last night. But I started off and it turned into a rant on/against Belief by a first person protagonist who's disabled, gay and twice widowed.

He got interrupted by an 8" tall fey fellow wearing steampunkish 19th century clothes (and steampunk accessories) and candy-red hair and eyebrows.

Now the little man is staying at his apartment and "might bring a few friends."

I titled it BELIEF for a working title. We'll see where that goes. I have a feeling gods might come into it.

Edit - now it has a tagline:

"Billy doesn't believe in the fairies. But they believe in him."

[Edited on 7-3-2013 by robertsloan2]
gabiviu
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 04:52 PM

Hey

I was going to write a Steampunk story, but then I put too much magic on it and it became too Steam Fantasy for "punk"

Maybe. Not sure where is it going yet.

This is my second JulNoWriMo. Last year I tried a different story, but wrote only 11 K
robertsloan2
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Belief

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gabiviu  
Hey

I was going to write a Steampunk story, but then I put too much magic on it and it became too Steam Fantasy for "punk"

Maybe. Not sure where is it going yet.

This is my second JulNoWriMo. Last year I tried a different story, but wrote only 11 K

Steam Fantasy is cool. I think steam's creeping into everything - I've got a character who dressed steampunk. He's even got goggles, got to mention his little brass goggles.

[Edited on 7-3-2013 by robertsloan2]
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: a time for love

Word Count: 10013 / 50000
Word Count Start20% Complete80% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 04:24 PM

I will be writing a Dark Fantasy genre to write soon this month which also has romance in at and sea creatures.

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]