JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: [JulNoWrimo Progress Reports] the ginger kid tries to write a book...
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

Mood: ecstatic and insatiate

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 02:08 PM
the ginger kid tries to write a book...

Okay I redid my first post it doesn't suck now

Hey hey! If you don't know me, I'm Taylor. I'm eighteen years old, and this is my fifth (if my count serves correctly) JulNoWriMo. I was twelve when I started my first novel for NaNoWriMo 2007, though I was thirteen when I finished. November birthdays, man. It's escalated from there, with this being my twenty-somethingith WriMo in the past six years.

This month, I'm writing the life story of an autistic werewolf named Atlas. Though Atlas' character initially began as a challenge to myself to write a realistic, yet human, werewolf character, as so few are, it's quickly ballooned into a weird character study. It's tentatively called Dreaming of Crowds.

I'm aiming to write 100,000 words in total this July. I'm not sure how conceivable that goal is, as I'm visiting a friend of mine for a week at the beginning of July and getting my wisdom teeth evicted from my mouth the day after I get back, on top of my regular full time work schedule and distant desire to actually see my boyfriend this summer.

I'm going to try, though!

Here I'll post excerpts, progress, bitching, my month long trials and tribulations, and all those other joys of an insane month of WriMoing. If you're into that kind of thing, you can keep up with me here, or at DoC's tumblr.

Thanks for reading. Best of luck this month!

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by Imperatrix Xoco]
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 12:08 AM

000,000 / 100,000

None yet!

None yet!

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by Imperatrix Xoco]
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 11:24 PM

Dreaming of Crowds
Summary: Atlas, a disenfranchised wolfboy, steals away from the safety and care of his master, a powerful mob boss named Florence Wilkes, for the wilds of the city. Or at least, that was the plan. A few buses, hitchhiked rides, and misdirections later, Atlas stumbles upon Rome County, Idaho, where he takes the guise of a stray and seeks refuge with the disjointed, dysfunctional Rhodes family. He only meant to lay low until Florence and her boys quit their hunt for him, but he finds himself unwilling to leave his new, odd little family. That is, until his past comes snuffling at his backdoor, and Atlas must choose between his own happiness and his family’s safety.

Excerpts: [x]

[Edited on 6-22-2013 by Imperatrix Xoco]
misabuckley
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: The Hollow Men

[*] posted on 6-17-2013 at 03:31 AM

Nice hook. ;)

website | twitter
JulNo Projects:
Genesis Dusk (SF Romance)
The Hollow Men (SF Horror)
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-17-2013 at 02:08 PM

Thanks, Misa. x)

[Edited on 6-23-2013 by Imperatrix Xoco]
SlySionnach
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: Trip / Empty Brocade

Word Count: 121257 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 06:05 PM

Sounds really interesting! I hope it writes fast and easy and as-close-to-perfect-as-WriMo'ly-possible!

09: Trip- 50,055
10: Empty Brocade - 63,660
12: The Reanimation Code - FAIL
13: Only Illusion - 77,050
14: Finishing Novels - TBD

Zombie Writers Unit
If we fry our brains, we'll just take yours.
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: a time for love

Word Count: 10013 / 50000
Word Count Start20% Complete80% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 08:08 PM

Good luck. :)

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 02:09 PM

Sly and Marie: Thanks! The same to both of you. :)

Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 02:17 PM

I've plotted a whole page!

Hahaha I'm not going to be ready for July.

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 03:03 PM

Haha, at least it's not a small page. For some reason I like the look of your handwriting.

Good luck for July!

Always keep the faith.
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 09:20 PM

Mel: Thanks! My handwriting manages to all at once look arty and profoundly suck at doing the thing that handwriting should do: that is, clearly communicate an idea. At least it makes it tough for people to read over my shoulder while I'm writing.

Good luck to you, too!
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:41 PM

Contrary to my slightly fatalistic post yesterday, plotting is looking up! I got quite a bit sorted out last night; everything but the end, really. I also procrastinated by making a calendar specific to my JulNo project and my 100k goal. I'm pleased with it, actually.

Off the find new and exciting ways to avoid plotting!

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 10:58 AM

Thanks to you I might actually begin using my Tumblr again! I like the sound/look of this! Definitely going to be keeping an eye here and on the tumblr.
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 01:24 PM

That is a super intense calendar, Impy! I am impressed :)

I can sympathize with your original goal (write a realistic werewolf character) - it seems werewolf/vampire stories have become super popular in YA lately (gee, I wonder why?) but every time I go into the library or the bookstore's YA section all of them look so corny I want to punch something. So I'm super excited that you're taking this on! Good luck with it!

Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 02:29 PM

Cheyenne: Aww, thanks! :) I think it'll be fun to write, so I hope whatever excerpts I post may be just as fun to read.

Rowena: Hehe, I needed to get all forms of procrastination--mock cover, signature art, calendar, character sketches--out of the way before July. Or else I'd spend ours on them instead of writing and still pretend that I'm productive.

Right? This whole thing started because I read Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow, which was a stunning werewolf book, and went on a hunt for more. I found Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, hated it, found more of the same ilk, and took it upon myself to write the thing I wanted to read. Which is Atlas's story.

Anyway, I highly recommend Sharp Teeth if you're looking for a good werewolf book. If you don't mind it being written in Homeric epic verse. ;)

marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: a time for love

Word Count: 10013 / 50000
Word Count Start20% Complete80% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 03:31 PM

Hi Impy, i hope everything is going great for you today. :)

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield
rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 06:11 PM

Impy - hmmm, well I'll keep that one in mind if I'm looking for a challenge (epic poetry about werewolves counts!) :P I don't actually read many werewolf books (because I usually ragequit the YA section reeeeally fast unless I'm looking for something specific) but I think I did read Shiver, or started it, or started the sequel (?) - is that the one about [highlight to see spoiler] the wolves who only turn into wolves when it's cold out, and when it's summer they turn back to humans, except than they turn human for less and less time, eventually staying wolves forever? If so than I read it. Or the sequel :P (Or I read the sequel and then the original? I can't remember.)

Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 06:19 PM

Rowena: Yep, that's the one. I'm an infrequent visitor of the YA section, too, never fear. I actually had no clue Shiver was YA after I'd already it pirated it and read it and went to write a strongly worded Goodreads review. Sharp Teeth is the only non-YA werewolf-centric book I've ever encountered. Cuuurious.

Marie: It is, thank you! The same to you!

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 06:28 PM

Taylor - it's probably because of the whole Twilight now-werewolves-are-cool-so-let's-write-about-them! thing that's been happening in YA lately. *sigh* Personally my favorite fictional werewolf will always be Remus, but I digress :P I should probably just suck it up and move from the YA section to the adult section, but I'm hesitant to do so without specific reccomendations cause who knows how that is anyway? I'd rather stick with the familiarly sucky :P

Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 11:05 AM

Rowena: You'll switch over when you're ready. ^^ Although I do like to use Goodreads for screening books. Also, is Remus an HP thing? I'm so bad at keeping track of all the HP things.

Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 11:24 AM

I've decided to put together a list of my silly and unreachable goals for this month. All of them are stupid as hell and probably impossible. I've decided to call the list Silly and Unreachable Goals.

Silly and Unreachable Goals
Remain in the top ten by Saturday, midnight PST all four (and a half) weeks.
Remain in the top twenty-five all July.
Make every weekend a 10k weekend.
Do at least 20 minutes of yoga every morning.
Finish Dreaming of Crowds.

These are my overarching goals. I’ll probably add some individual week-by-week goals. And all of them are stupid as hell and probably impossible.

I’m trying not to think about how much I have to do in the next two weeks because then I just get overwhelmed. I want to go to California, I want to see my friend, I want to meet Neil Gaiman, I want to de-wisdom tooth myself, but sometimes all I want to do is curl up in a ball and stay home and play xbox with my boyfriend

Well now that that passing moment of anxiety is done with!

I like to reflect back on the origin of my ideas, particularly when I'm plotting them. If I think on it long enough, I can dissect the brambles of my thoughts and pick up a starting point, or I'll just make one up.

Werewolves Don't Have To Suck
With this book, I am fortunate enough to know exactly where the idea started. Me six months ago was hungering for a new werewolf book to fill the void of finishing Sharp Teeth, which was a beauty of free verse epic poetry. I loved the dynamic the author played with, and I wanted another like it.

I began trawling the internet for werewolf books, which took all of about three minutes. I found Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. I pirated it. I read it. I closed my Kindle in an irritated huff of breath, bewildered at how bad that noise was. This boy has another creature in him--arguably is another creature--and yet his identity with it is hardly troubled, and it does not cripple his humanity in any unattractive way. His wolfness was an afterthought, a point of mystery and uniqueness, not an actual part of his character.

Quickly, I discovered that Shiver was not the exception, but the rule.

After I finished that book, I took it upon myself to write the werewolf story I wanted to read.

That Would Be A Good Character Name She Thinks Instead of Paying Attention to the Now-Green Light
There is a large street in my town called Atlas. I never gave it much thought until I sat at a stoplight in my little blue car, drinking coffee, regretting taking this road because there was too much traffic. I remember that, being unreasonably upset with other people for wanting to use the road I wanted to use.

I took notice, for the first time, of the street sign in front of me.

And I thought, "Huh. Atlas."

And then I had this picture in my head of Atlas, this tall, thin, Native wolfboy, with the curliest dark hair you've ever seen, a terrible attitude about everything he finds even somewhat disagreeable, and a love for running that I will never fully sympathize with.

At which point, the light turned green, and the people behind me got all pissy because I was too stuck in my own thoughts to notice.

assholes

Bukowski Saves Me Again
So with this half-formed character, an image of a boy I could only ever see from the corner of my eye, I set about to completely ignoring him. I find that, with characters like Atlas and a head like mine, it's best not to force these things.

Atlas sprang into full view when I read this poem by Charles Bukowksi, this uncollected fragment of a thought, called dreaming.

I live alone in a small room
and read the newspapers
and sleep alone in the dark
dreaming of crowds.

After that, the whole plot, the whole idea of him, happened at once.

Etc.
The other characters, the ones you guys have no idea of--Florence, Babel, Latro, Felim, Torin, Perl--they came later, from other sources. Florence is a discarded badass I was going to use for a steampunk roleplay. Babel came tacked along with the plot. She is an ineluctable piece of the story and Atlas' identity. Latro is new and a byproduct of Babel. Torin is an old, old character I've been trying to place since 2007. I might have finally found him a home. Perl is an inspiration derived from an extremely troubled family I work with, and their youngest daughter, whom I hope finds peace the way that Perl does.

The ending still hasn't fully composed itself in my head. Here's to hoping it will soon.

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 12:14 PM

Taylor - I should really get a goodreads. So I can look up books before I spend money on them (that's a great idea!) and also because goodness knows I love sharing my opinions of books, why not do it on a more public forum? :P And yes...Remus Lupin? The DATDA professor in book three? Only one of my favorite characters in the whole series?

I hope this is ringing a bell now or I might not be able to forgive you...

EDIT: Also I really enjoyed reading about where you came up with the idea for this story and the characters :) And is your goal of meeting Neil Gaiman a really-going-to-happen thing or a goal-for-every-month-and-life-in-general thing? Because if it's a really-going-to-happen thing I'm sooo jealous!

[Edited on 6-28-2013 by rowena]

Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 12:47 PM

That sounds like an awesome story idea. XD Hope you have fun with it!

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 12:59 PM

Rowena: Haha, I never finished the first book. I didn't really like her writing style. *shrug* C'est la vie. I only know about some of the characters from hearing other people talk about it.

Thanks! ^^ I like to keep track of the places my ideas come from, just because I like to get all retrospective on their genesis and whatnot. Also, yes, I am meeting Neil Gaiman. I'm going to his Santa Rosa talk/book signing on July 6. XD

Tatra: Thank you!

KathrineROID
JulNo Procrastinator

Mood: Halp
JulNoWriMo Title: undecided

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 04:49 PM

That... is one awesome calendar. BTW, if you haven't already, you should change the forum theme to "JulNoWirMo Red." It's a light pink melon color and fits perfectly with your color scheme.

I've only read one of Maggie Stiefvater's books, The Scorpio Races, because it wowed me and I've been afraid any of her other works would be a let-down. XD Give TSR a try sometime.

So have you worked out the ending? They say that can be the hardest part.

As your official JulNo encourager, I say be reasonable with yourself and stick with a 50k goal. You've got a lot going on. Save the 100k for AugNo. It's far more encouraging if you are able to make the goals set for yourself than to fail the goals you set for your self even if you knew those goals were unlikely.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]