Author: Subject: What's your problem?
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley06.gif posted on 7-11-2007 at 01:55 PM
What's your problem?

Okay, I thought we needed a special place for people to post their plot woes so others can help them. So, here it is! Have at it, and let us help you get to where you need to be.:D

[Edited on 7-11-2007 by thepianist2008]

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
edgy
JulNo Writer

Mood: You'd never guess how much I wrote on the meaning of Lady Justice...

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 09:32 AM

Exactly what I was looking for :D . Just promise not to steal my plot :-/

My book has two plots mashed together and dozens of subplots, but I'll just ask about one part I guess. Here's how I explained it for the another post (you guys can skim thru it, some people are too stubborn and always want to know WHY, so I'm taking precaution):

One of my numerous MCs is asked by the FBI (don't ask why, and this is a little into the future so suggestions can be reasonably 'interesting') to spy on a certain drug dealing organization because its too resourceful and strong for them to just plunge at it with a full FBI task force. Besides, they want it to be done quietly. The girl's a 15 year old, living with her father who is a respected FBI agent, and had (without permission) followed his cases before. The girl's very ambitious and wants to become part of the FBI herself, when she grows up. She knows how to shoot a gun etc. The organization is (yes it sounds stupid) made up of 98% 15-16 year olds. Shows where our society is going... blah. It would be much more suspicious if an adult tried to join it somehow than a kid. As I've pointed out before, the organization is HUGE. Its extensive resources and links to powerful personas (some powerful figures in the government) keep the FBI from launching an attack themselves. They figured that if someone goes in and spies out what's going on, it would make everything a lot easier.

Ok. She gets into the organization by trying to hook up with a person who seems the "type" to be a drug person, but instead of getting in directly, she ends up in a bar and gets drunk. Then, a minor female character gets suspicious of her, drags her out, beats her up and my MC gets to spend the night in an alley. Scrolling through about a month, (this is in the future), her significant other turns 16 and is drafted to the army. Her father wants to let her know, but how? She's in the middle of a huge drug organization and is closely watched, trying to gain trust so that she can deliver information to the FBI (and I don't know how she'll do that either). Please help.
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 05:55 AM

Well, just because she is your MC doesn't mean her father can't go through a little fight too to try and tell her. Is her boyfriend gone yet? Obviously, it would be suspicious for a member of the FBI to talk to her and everything, but if this guy she's with is still here and he's not a suspicious source of info, he can tell her. And besides, you're going to get more romantic punch if you have the guy tell her.

Okay, now, let me think about how the father could do it. Here. Even though it's a younger organization, old people need their drugs too, right? He dresses up shabby, with a big hat to obscure his face so that even she can't tell who he is. He finds her, slips her the money for a little coke (or whatever) and along with it, a small slip of paper with the info. She reads it, looks up at him, and realises who it is.

I don't know if I helped or not. That's what I could come up with at 7 o'clock in the morning.:D

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
edgy
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 10:44 AM

Gratz on 50k!

I'll have her boyfriend tell her about his leaving, but her father help her get the organization's information to FBI. Thanks!
Rossiter
decked out in palm trees

Mood: cursing time zones
JulNoWriMo Title: The Mysterious Affair of the Global Consequences

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 04:11 PM

I have a big question here haha.

Should my antagonists be:
a) the government
b) people against the government
c) crazy wizards from another planet
d) government of a neighboring country
e) all of the above

I have specific people, but I currently have no idea what they have to do with anything.
sylvrilyn
so many ideas, so little time

Mood: fed up
JulNoWriMo Title: Stones, Pt. II

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 04:24 PM

I'm liking c/d, the neighboring government's wizards. :)

"A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places." -- Paul Gardner

Rossiter
decked out in palm trees

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 04:34 PM

Ooh, now that I think about it the neighboring government DOES have wizards. I totally forgot that. Thanks!
sylvrilyn
so many ideas, so little time

Mood: fed up
JulNoWriMo Title: Stones, Pt. II

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 04:43 PM

You're welcome. It seemed like a good combination somehow.

"A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places." -- Paul Gardner

edgy
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 08:19 AM

One of my characters has anger management issues ... she talks to her 'friend' (in quotes because she doesn't really have friends she's more interested in money than anything else) who always interrupts her and it turns from an explanation of an idea to her whole life story (850 words of dialog XD) ... then she finds out that her 'friend' fell asleep (most likely at her second sentence). She wants revenge and she's the voilent type ... what can she break (as in bone or something) that won't affect her friend's movements (they go to steal something a few days later, they're 'pro' thieves)? Keep in mind that she gets very, very pissed off...she was telling about her counseling, medications, and her parents, etc. Thanks in advance!
rob
JulNo Writer

Mood: Frustrated
JulNoWriMo Title: TBA

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edgy
850 words of dialog

I have about one or two of those scenes per chapter. A nice way to eat up word count!

JulNo 07 Winner, Back for more.
edgy
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
I have about one or two of those scenes per chapter. A nice way to eat up word count!

Hmmm...I dunno. You'd have to cut out parts when you edit, and personally, I hold on my anything I write in chains and locks and ropes...

Any help on my situation through? Any one? (Her voice echoes in the empty thread).
rob
JulNo Writer

Mood: Frustrated
JulNoWriMo Title: TBA

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 09:21 AM

I'm sure I'll go through the same thing you mentioned. It is hard to cut things that you spilled blood and tears trying to write (sometimes literally), but it just has to be done. I'm usually guilty of too much exposition, but in this story it does seem like I've done too much talking. Maybe in the editing stage when I decide to give each character a meaningful and separate voice, then the talking could enrich the story. In its current state though, its just exposition in disguise 8-)

JulNo 07 Winner, Back for more.
Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 11:08 AM

Her nose. It bleeds a lot when it happens and hurts like hell [then makes your face look all uneven], but you can function just fine with it after you get over the initial pain. :]

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
watercolour
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 01:04 PM

If her friend has fallen asleep can't she take it out on her friends furniture instead -take a hammer to her car/pc/mirror/TV/microwave with a good loud CRASH? O.o
emmeline
Faffing away

Mood: awake

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 01:26 PM

Or we could have her internal dialogue as she battles her anger (cue more words) and maybe just takes her frustrations out on herself for a bit, then explodes somewhere further down the line? (cue another scene and more words!)
edgy
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by x__hypocampus
Her nose. It bleeds a lot when it happens and hurts like hell [then makes your face look all uneven], but you can function just fine with it after you get over the initial pain. :]

Hmmm why didn't I think of that...ohh cuz I never broke my nose before...lol. thanks. Can you help me with describing it, through, now? It's a few days after the incident. (And thanks to all of the other suggestions at well, but the MC with anger management is also a sadist and naturally curves towards hurting people rather than their property and normally doesn't think too much nor talk much at all).
Erin
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 12:26 AM

Uh... I would love to help out, but I've never had my nose broken before... I've just been the person doing the physical breaking. xD

Word Counts
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 10:28 AM

Breaking your nose quite sucks, actually. It's never happened to me, but I know two people who have had to go through with it.

For one, I'd imagine that you'd have a very bad bloody nose, obviously. In order for both of my friends' noses to heal properly, they had to get their nose re-broken by a doctor so that it could be set correctly (or else you'd have a crooked, evil nose). You have to wear a white bandage over your nose, which looks quite amusing. I think they probably also stick something up both nostrils to hold it in place... but yeah, not really sure.

I don't know much more than that.

Erin
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 10:50 AM

I can say that there is a crazy bad bloody nose when it first happens. Like, doesn't stop for a looooong time. But past that, I'm pretty much clueless on how it works.

Word Counts

DFTBA
CelticxConnections
JulNo Member

Mood: MEH

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 11:55 AM

I've never had a broken nose, came close though (I was 3 and I tried to fly O.o)

Anyway from eMedicine Health some signs are : Tenderness when touching the nose, Swelling of the nose or face, Bruising of the nose or under the eyes (black eye), Deformity of the nose (crooked nose), Nosebleed, When touching the nose, a crunching or crackling sound or sensation like that of rubbing hair between 2 fingers, Pain and difficulty breathing out of the nostrils

edgy
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JSBulldog89
You have to wear a white bandage over your nose, which looks quite amusing.

Amusing is good XD

Alright, thanks guys (and gals) I'll make sure my poor nose-broken character suffers constant bleeding and has a funny white bandage over her nose. Hehe. The person who broke it can make fun of her, too! Perfect!
thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 06:14 PM

If you're looking to see how you can break someone's nose in style, watch Miss Congeniality. I love the part where she breaks Texas's nose on stage near the end. :D

"...Take the heel of your hand and thrust upward. This will cause the nose to break, and the assailant's eyes to tear, giving you a chance to run away." - Gracie Lou Freebush from Miss Congeniality:)

[Edited on 7-19-2007 by thepianist2008]

[Edited on 7-19-2007 by thepianist2008]

Rossiter
decked out in palm trees

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 08:48 PM

Someone HELP. I am really lost now, kay.

Basically, the plot changed. It did this entirely on its own and I didn't actually realize it until last night.

So...do I start over, with no idea of how it starts, start at what I think is 24k in, with no idea of where that is, or spend the rest of the month figuring out what's going on and do the whole thing in August where I'll have zero time?

Gahhh.
edgy
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 03:45 PM

Your plot changed as in there was a plot twist? Don't lose your head, I mean, why don't you just keep going where you left off? If it's not boring and you know you can keep it going, it's perfectly fine to just 'let the plot go' where ever it wants to, then make sense of it during editing.
watercolour
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-23-2007 at 03:15 PM

Rossiter - Edgy's right, you can keep going even if the first part doesn't now tie up with the new plot direction.

I remembered a quote from 'No Plot No Problem' about this, and found it on p123, where Russell Kramer three times Nano winner talks about how he deals with this:

" The best trick I've learned is to lie to myself.

When in chapter seven I write something that contradicts something written earlier, I tell myself that I already made all the necessary corrections in chapter three.

I just tell myself that the earlier parts are the way I need them to be for me to write something that day, which builds on them."

Hope you get your story rolling again.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]