Author: Subject: Rewriting EVERYTHING
Irish_Blush
JulNo Member

Mood: Happy

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 10:40 AM
Rewriting EVERYTHING

For July I decided to hit the delete key on a story that I had nearly finished back in April and start it completely over because it just wasn't working.

Any advice on how to make it work this time around? I ended up getting stuck in the middle of chapter 5, right about when the action started to really get intense, and I lost all momentum. It sucked.

I've considered writing it backwards this time, but does that seem strange to anyone else?

Don\'t just do something, sit there.
sylvrilyn
so many ideas, so little time

Mood: fed up
JulNoWriMo Title: Stones, Pt. II

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 11:42 AM

I've got a couple of old ones that I want to go back and rewrite entirely. It'll be like the old draft will break down into an outline for the new one or something like that. I'm a little dubious, though, because when I've tried to use WriMos to go back to old projects in the past (to finish a draft, though, not rewrite one), I've had no luck.

I think writing it backwards sounds like a fine plan if it feels like something that will work for you. I don't think I could do it, but I've heard of plenty of other people doing it that way.

I've also been known to skip the places where I get stuck, and just go around them until I get more of it written. Then they sometimes come clear as I'm working on other parts. :)

"A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places." -- Paul Gardner

Irish_Blush
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 12:14 PM

Thanks! I came up with a beginning that I didn't have originally that has a lot more spark to it. It's a much better page turner than the one that was orignally there. So I think I'm on the right track.

sylvrilyn
so many ideas, so little time

Mood: fed up
JulNoWriMo Title: Stones, Pt. II

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 12:31 PM

Yay! *cheers you on*

"A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places." -- Paul Gardner

Sobriquet

Mood: Eager

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 01:32 PM

Mmm. When I get stuck, I go on to the next interesting bit and then you can write until you get stuck from there, and go back and bridge the two sections together - it can be difficult and go really wrong, but sometimes it can actually turn out better than just writing.

With hindsight, you can start foreshadowing and drop hints and stuff. I find that I'm doing that automatically in visions for the girls. They see things, and then I write that in later, but in full, whereas before they just saw parts.

JulNo \'07: 59,557 words.
NaNo \'07: 52,452 words.
JulNo \'08: 53,556 words.
NaNo \'08: epic fail.
JulNo \'09: 19,949 words.
Ever since then? Eep, university.
Irish_Blush
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 01:51 PM

I like your idea Sobri!
Thanks.

Sobriquet

[*] posted on 7-6-2007 at 01:56 PM

That's cool.

Do you have the problem where you can always come up with ideas for someone else, but never yourself?

I can always suggest things for someone else, but it'll take me ages to come up with ideas for me...

thepianist2008
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready to go!

[*] posted on 7-8-2007 at 08:58 PM

Whoa! Did you say you got stuck when the action started to get intense? I'll repeat a quote from one of the other boards, "quantity, not quality" (I believe that's JSBulldog89). It sounds to me like you got to the big break in your story and you got scared that it wouldn't be good enough. This month is definitely not the time for fear. There will be fear all throughout your life, you have to accept it. You might not agree, but I think that's what's holding you back, the fear that it's not good enough. Remember, most of this writer's block crap is in your subconscious. You need to attack it at the source, dig it out, confront it, and bash it. Confidence, and heck, even if you're afraid, do it anyway. You think George Washington wasn't afraid to be the first President of this country? You think Martin Luther King, Jr. wasn't scared to death about what he did? I know I'm probably sounding like an complete jerk, but I'm a guy and I can't conceive how to put it any other way. Fear is meaningless. It's that crap that holds you back from being the person you really are, but only if you let it. You can't be fearless, but you can push through fear. Best of luck to you, and remember, even if you don't finish this month, there's no reason you can't continue your deadline into August. Don't let fear stop you, it's all in your head. You are greater than fear!;)

...and he can do that, and she can do this, and he can react like that, and she can slap him, and he can yell at her, and then a dead body can come crashing through the ceiling... yippee! XD
Sobriquet

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 04:26 AM

And even if you don't like it, write it anyway - its not like this is the final draft. Besides, you might find your way onto something that you think's really, really good that you wouldn't have done if you hadn't been a little bit off before. It might even give you some ideas about what you could have written before.

Irish_Blush
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thepianist2008
Whoa! Did you say you got stuck when the action started to get intense? I'll repeat a quote from one of the other boards, "quantity, not quality" (I believe that's JSBulldog89). It sounds to me like you got to the big break in your story and you got scared that it wouldn't be good enough. This month is definitely not the time for fear. There will be fear all throughout your life, you have to accept it. You might not agree, but I think that's what's holding you back, the fear that it's not good enough. Remember, most of this writer's block crap is in your subconscious. You need to attack it at the source, dig it out, confront it, and bash it. Confidence, and heck, even if you're afraid, do it anyway. You think George Washington wasn't afraid to be the first President of this country? You think Martin Luther King, Jr. wasn't scared to death about what he did? I know I'm probably sounding like an complete jerk, but I'm a guy and I can't conceive how to put it any other way. Fear is meaningless. It's that crap that holds you back from being the person you really are, but only if you let it. You can't be fearless, but you can push through fear. Best of luck to you, and remember, even if you don't finish this month, there's no reason you can't continue your deadline into August. Don't let fear stop you, it's all in your head. You are greater than fear!;)

No, I agree with you. I always freak out when I get to the middle part. The story means too much to me and I want it to be really good so I stop writing it. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm going to try what you said and just try for quantity.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]