JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OMG I feel so ADD right now!
RJA
JulNo Writer

Mood: Still in need of her summer holiday!

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 03:04 PM
OMG I feel so ADD right now!

Okay, I know. I'm diagnosed with AD(H)D, but at the moment I just CAN'T seem to focus. And especially can't focus on my writing projects...

Been going on for about six weeks now. I'm working on a WiP and instead of continuing, my mind drifts away to other WiP's. I want to work on those and start reading it. Mostly takes me about a day, sometimes two ont he longer ones and I'm totally enthusiastic, so I start writing on the project. But that just lasts for about a day or two and I feel like writing something else... And so on, and so on...

I've worked on so many different projects the last couple of weeks, it makes me dizzy. Why can't I just focus on ONE...

Anyone familiar with this problem? I know I'm still hitting my words, but I just feel like finishing something for once!
thearcadianplane
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Tales of Ismenara: The Ascent of Avedis

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 08:05 PM

I know that feel man =_= In the past I've always written 3 or 4 pages on something and then completely abandoned it for months, only to go back and write another page and then do it all over again. its hard to break out of that cycle and my JulNoWriMo project this year is by far the most accomplished i've ever gotten on one project.

unfortunately i don't have much advice on how to get down to one topic... sometimes you just have to accept it and go with the flow... or use good old fashioned self discipline and only let yourself work on ONE thing, even if it doesn't come out as good. maybe try and really think about which project you're most passionate about C:
Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 08:28 PM

Pick a main project to return to. Write like the greater half of your words in that one and then go on to the others. Like, you pick project A, but project B really wants to be written after a bit. You move on to project B for a day or so, and then you head back to project A.

That's how I've been doing it this month, though the other projects are short stories. XD And I have total ADD. Like, I just forgot to bring my spoon down with the ice cream bowl, so I have a spoon on my desk... :rolleyes:

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
RJA
JulNo Writer

Mood: Still in need of her summer holiday!

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 08:30 PM

Thanks. But then I have to think about what my main project will be hahaha.

And only a spoon on your desk? Mostly my desk is filled with dirty dishes :confused:
Tatra
JulNo Writer

Mood: Shiny
JulNoWriMo Title: Prescott Dormitory

Word Count: 102201 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 09:36 PM

Maybe the project that is closest to being finished? Or the one that interests you the most?

I took the spoon out when I gave the bowl to my kitten to lick and I forgot to bring the spoon down... I'm usually pretty good about dishes and the like, XD

Zombie Writers United

Julno 14: Prescott Dormitory - when the dead show up for class the King will slowly topple.
twilightscribe
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: The Tales Men Tell

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 01:29 AM

I totally know that feeling and it's why I usually have more than one WIP on the go at any one time. It's also why it usually takes me so long to get anything finished... *sob*
KathrineROID
JulNo Procrastinator

Mood: Halp
JulNoWriMo Title: undecided

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 12:29 PM

Schedules, goals, plans, physical stuff on actual paper. That's how I keep myself barely organized and on task enough to be productive, and I understand that's the main way all ADHDs can focus their energy.
Monkey_With_Fanta
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: In pain :(
JulNoWriMo Title: Arkanos - Memorycatcher (Book One)

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 05:05 AM

I've got a similar thing. I'm working on WIP myself, but I've always been bad at getting distracted by YouTube (mainly). Or just general faffing about, like posting on forums and Facebook :P

For me Write Or Die (Desktop Edition ;)) is a big help. Also just tearing myself away and deciding "right, now I'm going to do this writing project and nothing else". Since I love listening to music, I basically either put my Japanese radio station on, or then stream a YouTube vid of an extended Final Fantasy background music track et voilá! :)

I guess it's really individual what works.

Please visit my blog Monkey's Fanta World!

JulNoWriMo 2012 ~ Arkanos - Memorycatcher (Book One)
marielaurent2221
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: a time for love

Word Count: 10013 / 50000
Word Count Start20% Complete80% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 05:53 AM

I end up working on a multitude of wips where i will be writing more than one novel. Which i do love multitasking because it keeps me from being bored.

[Edited on 7-11-2012 by marielaurent2221]

"Why am i the only one out of this group who thinks she is nuts." - Unknown character in new novel.

"Alpha there is problems heading up north we need to check out and find out what it is." - Liam from Alpha Alliance

"Master do you need anything else i can get you or do you want me to leave you right now." Peter from Blood Bond

"Eric seems to be interested in me. I hope i can get to know him better. And not have my heart broken again." - Bella Swan from A Viking and his Shield

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]