JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: busted laptop and lost words.
thearcadianplane
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Tales of Ismenara: The Ascent of Avedis

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 06:55 PM
busted laptop and lost words.

Hey all...
So this morning the mouse of my laptop went all wonky, and was skittering around the computer screen going crazy. I took it to the shop, and my entire track pad needs to be replaced, so, I don't have my computer back until Monday, at the latest.

To add on to this, yesterday I was in a place with no internet so I was using google docs offline. I wrote 620 words, a passage that was really important to the story and filled in so much information, and then had to force quit my laptop this morning. Does anyone know if google docs offline saves to your laptop? Is it possible that I might get my writing back?

And yet, to make matter worse, this weekend I have to dogsit, and won't have my laptop. I can write on paper but that has always been difficult for me (as I can't change things very easily). Not to mention I can't keep track of my word count that way.

So I'm pretty bummed out right now. I wrote about 1300 words today on my laptop, and know that's saved, but I'm extremely upset about the passage I think I lost.

Any advice or words of encouragement would help... I'm really upset because I had such a great momentum going.
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 10:12 PM

This seems to happen to at least one person every year :\

However, from what I've read in this article, it seems likely that your offline work was saved: http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answe...

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 05:22 AM

Well, as someone who prefers to hand-write, I can tell you that margin notes are a life-saver (I do all edits, except minor sentence/passage changes on the computer. I write small above the original word choice and cross out the errors if necessary.)
Also, on word count, I go through at the end of the day with a pencil and make little circles above every tenth word, then count it up that way. It's slower, but it does work.
Having to reconstruct lost passages is a big part of why I prefer initial drafts to be on paper. All I can tell you is to make notes and try to reconstruct it as best you can, then come back later when you are less upset, and fix it, rather than trying to get it word-perfect now.
thearcadianplane
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Tales of Ismenara: The Ascent of Avedis

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 06:48 AM

Thank you, both of you!
My sister is letting me borrow her computer for when I'll be dogsitting this weekend, and I think I'll be handwriting some things too.

I'm just gonna keep truckin and get the usual 1600 words in a day! Thanks again! :3

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]