Author: Subject: [JulNoWriMo Progress Reports] Padfoot913
Padfoot913
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: For the Love of Family

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 03:59 PM
[Romance/Drama] Branching Out

This is my second attempt at JulNo, and so far I am off to a far better start than before. Two years ago, I didn't join until there were about two weeks left, so I was unsurprised I didn't meet the 50k. I did manage 27k, so I was proud regardless. Last year falls under the category of Epic Fail, so that is one of which we do not speak. This year I've managed to start on time, and I already have an outline, timeline and family tree all done up to help me along. I'm feeling good about this year :) the 2k I've already written helps too...

So, about the story. Current working title is For the Love of Family, and it is a relief to actually have something to call it. I'd never started a story before with no title. It follows Prince Gerard (pronounced the British way - think Jared with an extra r toward the end) of Wyndfall, an imaginary place I've invented that is similar to Medieval Europe but allows me to play outside the restrictions of actual historical events. Gerard is the second son of the second son of a king, and never expects to inherit the crown of his country, but his expectations don't count for much when plague strikes. He's been absent from court for ten years, but now he must return to the center of all the intrigue, politics and expectations, for Wyndfall is a country built on traditions that every king must observe. This includes finding a respectable wife and producing sons, which wouldn't be such a problem if he weren't in love with Levi, his boyfriend. Now Gerard is stuck choosing between love and duty, and if he isn't careful, his choices might tear the country apart.

Gah, I'm already in love with these characters. I've never written a story like this one before, so I'm looking forward to this opportunity for branching out. Love, war and politics all in one place. Should keep things interesting :) And so far, 2083 words :D

"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey, you should see me in a crown." - Moriarty

"Easy reading is damn hard writing." -Nathaniel Hawthorne
Journal | Writing
Padfoot913
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 04:30 PM

I'm back! I braved the wilds of vacation and have returned in time to continue writing and hope that I can catch up. Luckily, I had this morning off and was able to add 2600 words to my count and bring it up over 5600. Still dreadfully behind, but it's progress in the right direction.

Today I worked on the scene where Gerard and Levi find out that the city the king and Gerard's father were visiting has been struck with plague. It was a tough scene to figure out because there's equal fear on the family side and on the political side, but it has definitely left an open path to introducing more characters finally and getting to the crux of the problem: the missing prince suddenly inheriting the crown.

My favorite bit from today:
---
Valar perildys. The sun wavers. His father was particularly solemn when he explained that one.

“It is one of the direst messages you can send or receive, and I hope you shall never see it in your lifetime.”

He paused for a moment, and Garret asked quickly, “But what does it mean, Father?”

Gerard watched carefully as his father’s eyes darkened. “It means the king faces death.”
---

Unfortunately, I have to go to work now, but I am really looking forward to coming home and working on it some more tonight, even though I've surpassed my word goal for today :D I hope everyone is having an equally awesome Wednesday!

"In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey, you should see me in a crown." - Moriarty

Journal | Writing
Padfoot913
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 03:07 AM

Vacation Part Two has come to a conclusion, so hopefully I can focus more on writing over the next two weeks :) Today I finally breached 8k, so that feels pretty good. I am still waiting to get to the true meat of the story, though, so plenty of interesting bits are to come.

Today I worked on a scene I never knew I was going to write until I was doing it. It was a burial/funeral service that just seemed to fit where it was. I'm actually rather excited about what it adds to the story, but it doesn't help with the depressing atmosphere of the story so far. Still, the story is what it is. I'm looking forward to writing more Gerard/Levi interaction soon as this last portion focused on their journey to another part of the kingdom.

An interesting bit from today:
---
The dirt crunched as the shovels struck, the only sound left as they hollowed out the final resting places of three more lost souls.
---

There's just something about that sentence that I really like. Unfortunately, even though I am so far behind, I didn't manage to make my 3k goal today, ending just over 2k. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow, but for now it's time to sleep!

Journal | Writing

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]