Author: Subject: [JulNoWriMo Progress Reports] Nonesane
Nonesane
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: How to sway them

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 05:55 AM
[Fantasy] How to sway them

Off to a good start! Wrote 3k yesterday and hope to get at least 2k done today.

Today was also the first day of my outdoor-swim-coach summer job and things were fun, as usual, and not as exhausting as I'd feared. Will most likely keep good pace with JulNo, at least until next week when I start having the morning and afternoon classes.

And as I've said elsewhere, this novel is a novel I've won two NaNos with and still it's got 20 scenes left to go. Hopefully those 20 scenes will be done this month *knocks on wood*

Edit: Thought I should add in a summary of the story too, in case someone was curious:

There are demons in the woods.

Well, at least according to the Imperial Military. Soldiers are sent there every year and only a handful come back, most of them suffering from an unknown disease that takes away their will to live. They just sit and stare and starve. A rare few wake up before death claims them, but they're all quickly taken away, either to the laboratories or to Outer Camps.

Because of that, there's no one outside of the Emperor's closest allies who can claim to ever have seen a wild demon. The only proof of their existence are the tame bodyguards of the Emperor and his Adviser; obedient like well trained hunting dogs and far deadlier.

It's rumored that Field Marshal Warlow is to thank for the demons' undying loyalty, caused by a spell even beyond the Emperor's magic - rumors that have cost many a drunken farmer a finger or two for blasphemy.

Dylis, lowly soldier that she is, is inclined to believe the official claims; all the hellish training and the failed surgery that took her hearing would've been pointless otherwise.

Her younger brother Glaw is luckier – by no means as good a fighter as she, but unique all the same. Of eight chosen, his surgery was the only one to succeed. And unless Dylis can think of a way to switch their places, he's leaving for the woods in the morning.

Alone.

[Edited on 7-2-2012 by Nonesane]
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 03:21 PM

Passed 5k a few minutes ago and am hoping to get an other 1 000 words down before bedtime! I managed to finish 2 scenes today and am making good headway with the next, so there's currently 17,5 scenes in total left to finish. I'm not sure if I've picked up speed with the scenes because I've gotten to the "betrayal reveal"-part or if I've simply gotten better at writing fast after June Camp.

We'll see how much I get done tomorrow though, since I've got work in the morning and then am going out to dinner and a movie with a friend. Might get some words written during the evening...
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 12:37 PM

Work, roleplay-leading-obligations + catching up with old friends and a kid I used to babysit has taken a chunk out of my motivation. Doing my best to get 3k done today, along with scene 18 & 17 (I'm doing a count down to 0 of the unfinished scenes, because I've lost track of how many scenes I've written).

To cheer myself up, I thought I'd post a few paragraphs I'm quite pleased with. They're from near the end of the novel, where FMC Dylis is brought to meet the Emperor (if you're wondering how she can hear - being deaf and all - the Field Marshal cast a spell on her for his own convenience, which is quite painful to the victim, along with giving them a form of hearing):

The hand at the back of her head disappeared and the echo of footsteps moving away from her burned her ears in a way the march of the rows of soldiers hadn't. Baring her teeth in a snarl, she looked up and glared at the finely dressed man looming above her.

"My poor, misguided child." The Emperor's eyes were kind, but it was the kindness a good butcher showed an animal that had been brought in for slaughter.

I'm going to die, Dylis thought to herself, a strange calm settling over her mind, and this is the man who'll kill me. She glared and rubbed at her wrists; there would be bruises after the guards' fingers, but that was the least of her worries.

[Edited on 7-4-2012 by Nonesane]

[Edited on 7-4-2012 by Nonesane]
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 04:43 PM

Sudden inspiration struck (or maybe I just really hate the sensation of falling behind my own pace) and I reached 12k a few minutes ago. Scene 16 has also been finished, leaving me with 15 scenes to decorate with the remaining 38k. I think it's doable :)

In other news, the actual story is a lot of fun at the moment. Big fight scene on a ship traveling through an underground tunnel, with one of the MCs helplessly looking on from inside a cage on deck. Also, some of the crew are zombies now, because of reasons; don't ask me why, it just came to me in the middle of the scene and made perfect sense at the time. Let's see if it survives editing.

Also, the novel just passed the 130k mark in total. I've never written anything this long before O.o
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 02:29 PM

Friday was a bad writing day, for some reason. I barely made it to 1k and I was so damn tired all evening. Today is looking better, especially as I'm past scene 14, which was being difficult.

Hoping to get 2k done today; looking forward to all the action and the return of one of the traitors from scene...22? I really need to keep better track of this.
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 04:38 PM

W00t, 3k! And thanks to my sister watching Animal Planet, I now know exactly how to fill in a plothole in scene 12. Life is good :D
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 05:02 PM

Got 6k done today, which I hope will tide me over to the next weekend. I doubt I'll get much more than minimum work done during the week days, as I start working in earnest tomorrow.

Got to write a lot of fun stuff today; everything from Thais and Dylis being rescued by humpbacked whales, to the reunion of Aelius and Nikon. Roller coaster of feelings all the way through!

...I may love my characters too much.

[Edited on 7-8-2012 by Nonesane]
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 05:48 PM

As I predicted, I've barely gotting past 1.6k these past two days. The weather has been less than pleasant and I work outside, as a swim coach, from 10am to 2.30pm every workday this week and next week.

With an air temperature of 13.5 Celsius and lots of wind, I tend to be quite dead and frozen solid when I get home (Have to be all smiles while in the water so the kids feel safe, even though it's freezing, so I spend a lot of energy on pretending I'm not freezing my ass off).
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-20-2012 at 05:10 PM

It's Friday and work was harsh on me today, so naturally I'm dead tired.

I am also very determinded to get this damn novel finished before the week is out (preferably before tomorrow morning; w00t for all-nighters!) I have 3,5 scenes to go and I just passed this month's 50k, for the moment leaving this monster of a story at ~160k :)
Nonesane
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 12:15 PM

IT'S DONE! I DID IT! THE FIRST DRAFT OF "HOW TO SWAY THEM" IS DONE!

Final word count, in total, 173 989 *_*

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]