Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [JulNoWriMo Progress Reports] fayola
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 10:18 AM
[Fantasy/Mystery] I don't have a title yet, this is going well...

Hello hello, my name is Faye and this is my 3rd JulNo.

So this year I decided to re-write a story I wrote back in 2005-2006 when I was about 11 or 12. I've been writing sequels to it since then and it's turned into a 5 part series that spans about 20 years. But I've never gone back and re-written the very first story in its entirety. I've tried to write it a few times but never very successfully. It's changed a lot since I first wrote it but I still absolutely love the story and the characters. Most of the characters appear in the sequels but it'd be nice to revisit them when they were younger.

Back in the day, I posted this story on a Sims 2 website. Back then the story was called 'For Everything You Did To Me' (feydtm for short) but I don't like that title any more so I'm trying to think of a new title. When I was posting it online, I was just making it up as I went along, and I don't think I ever finished it. I remember telling a friend "I love this story too much, I'll never stop writing it" (or something to that effect.) And even though I stopped posting it on the website, I've never really stopped loving this story.

I've tried re-writing it a couple of times but I feel like I've lost focus of what the story is meant to be about. There have been times where I've tried to change the genre, or wrote it from the point of view of a different character and it hasn't worked. I've wanted to throw in as much backstory as I can, even when it isn't really relevant and takes away from the main plot. It turned the story into something barely recognisable, and took away the things that I loved about it in the first place. The thing I loved most about this story when I first wrote it was the mystery. I loved not really knowing what was going to happen next, and figuring out who all the characters really were, and what was really going on. I lost that mystery in some of my attempts at re-writing it but this time I'm going to try and stay as true as I can to the original story. (Although it will be much more well written, I hope. And some ridiculous plot lines will be cut.) I just want to keep the essence of the story that made me love it in the first place.

I feel like this would be a good point to tell you what the story's actually about. So here, have a synopsis.

A woman wakes up in the middle of nowhere with no memories of who she is. She doesn't know where she is or how she got there. All she remembers is an ominous feeling that she's supposed to be running from something. She finds a road which leads her to a house on the outskirts of a small village. The family who live there take her in, and over time she regains some of her memories while learning secrets about the mysterious family she's living with.

It's quite exciting to be going back to the roots of this story. It's spawned so many sequels that I sometimes lose sight of where it originated. And I really do love this story. And there are a couple of characters in it that don't make an appearance in the sequels for various reasons spoiler alert: they die so it'll be great to write about them again. I'm so excited.

So yeah this has been pretty rambly and I doubt anyone has read all of it. The rests of my posts in this thread will probably be similar.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 06:56 PM

695 words so far.

I was worried about how I was going to start this book. I hadn't planned how I was going to start it beforehand. How do you describe someone waking up with no memories? In the end, this is what I came up with when midnight rolled around:

Quote:
Nobody remembers being born. You don't remember the moment you opened your eyes and were suddenly in this new world. You were suddenly alive. You don't remember what it was like to begin existing for the very first time, that first moment you realised you were conscious.
Not many people get the opportunity to have that feeling again.
My eyes flew open as I gapsed for breath. My heart was racing, as adrenaline pumped through my veins. I was laying on a cold surface, looking up at a vast, black sky.
That's the first thing I remember.

It's not the best writing ever but it's not bad for a first attempt. I can always change it later. I just needed something to get me into the story.

So yeah, that's my first couple of paragraphs. So now Maria* is running through a field and has found a road that will hopefully lead her to civilisation. Hooraaaaay.

*whoops, spoiler alert, the woman with amnesia is called Maria. Her name hasn't been revealed in the book yet, but I don't mind you guys knowing. :-P Fun fact: she was named after a Green Day song. I feel like there are going to be a lot of 'fun facts' in this progress report. Get used to them.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 06:30 AM

1509 words, and I have finished Chapter One!

Maria has just come across a house, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. She's been walking all night and is totally exhausted, so she collapses outside the house. She's vaguely aware of someone carrying her inside, but then she completely blacks out.

Ooooooh what's gonna happen next? i'M sO eXcItEd OmFg

I'm trying to keep this as true to the original version of the story as I can, which is why I'm forcing myself to stick to Maria's point of view. I would love to write part of this scene from another character's point of view, but from past experience I know that wouldn't work. I've tried writing from another character's POV before and that just doesn't work for this story.

And now... we get to meet the Rothmore family. Woohoo.

Fun Fact: Originally their surname was going to be Rushmere, which I stole from a girl's name that had been graffitti'd on a desk at my school. She already had the same first name as one of my characters, and I thought "I like her surname. I'm going to steal it for my characters." But then I realised that if this book was published and got super famous, the girl who's name I stole would probably sue me or something. (It's not my fault you were a graffiti artist in Year 9!) So I thought I'd change it slightly. I played around with some different letters and came up with Rothmore, which I now really like.

(I told you there were going to be more Fun Facts. I hope you're finding them as Fun as I am.)
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 03:29 PM

3,000 words! I'm still on Chapter 2. It's been pretty easy to write so far.

At this point in the story, Maria wakes up inside the house that she just fainted outside of. Then she meets the Rothmore family. They seem kind of weird but at least they're not serial killers... Right? Spoiler alert: They're not.

She meets Abigail* and her children, Gideon** and Grace***
And she finds out that Abby's husband was killed in a "train accident" 10 years ago.
And that's all that happens in this scene.

*Fun Fact: originally her name was Abrianna, which according to babynames.com meant 'mother of grace' and I was like lolololololol her daughter is called Grace, that's hilarious. Because I'm lazy I started calling her Abby. And eventually I decided to change her name to something that's more appropriate to the time period and the place where she lives. And because I just call her Abby anyway, I was like "Abigail! That'll do." So now that's her name.

**Fun Fact: I changed the spelling of his name, because in the original version I decided to spell it the stupidly-long-and-hard-to-spell way, which was stupid. But in my notes and stuff, I mostly just call him G. There are quite a few characters whose names begin with G, but he's the only one who I ever refer to as 'G' in my notes. So if you ever see me talking about someone called 'G,' it's him. Just so you know. For future reference.

***Fun Fact: She's the only one out of these 3 characters whose name hasn't changed at all since I first named her. This fact wasn't very fun. I'm sorry. I've let you down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anywho, I'm not 100% sure what happens next.
I know what scenes need to happen but I don't really know what order. I need to make sure the pacing is good and I don't rush through the story too fast. I really need to do some planning. :-/

Also, it's hard to keep out all the irrelevant backstory. I have the urge to throw in every tiny detail just because I know it, but there's lots of stuff that isn't relevant and distracts from the main story.

I've been trying to make what I call a "musical outline." (normal people would probably call it a soundtrack...) Basically there's a song for each scene, so when you listen to the playlist, it's like the novel in song form. I've made them for a couple of other books and it's a great way to make outlining more fun if you already have a vague idea of what happens and what songs go with each scene. But I'm still struggling with what order the scenes should go in... :-/
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 04:18 PM

Hey, I like your fun facts! Keep them coming please! :)

Also, the musical outline sounds like an interesting thing to do. Reminds me that I had a song for each part of my novel (eight in total, I think) before I reworked the plot. Might take that up again to get the words flowing. Music is awesome. <3

Always keep the faith.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 05:21 PM

Woohoo! Someone likes my facts! I was worried they might get annoying. :P

So, it's the end of day one, and my word count is 3649. Not too bad.

[Edited on 1-7-12 by fayola]
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 02:55 PM

I didn't write anything yesterday because I had a lot of other things to do, whoops...

And now I'm having trouble figuring out where this story is supposed to go next. Hmm.

Other than the plot, something else I have an issue with is names, particularly nicknames. I have a really bad habit of nicknaming all of my characters, and then only referring to them by their nicknames in my notes. Now I feel really awkward writing out their full names in the actual novel. Like constantly having to say Abigail instead of Abby. It feels really weird.

Also, I have three characters called Tallulah, Louise and Lucifer. Their nicknames are Lulah, Lulu and Lu. It gets SO CONFUSING, but I still insist on using the shortened names when outlining. To be fair, people do call Tallulah 'Lulah' in the book, And I was going to have a character call Louise 'Lulu' until I realised it would be really easy to confuse the two of them. (I'm not sure if Louise is even going to appear in the book any more. She's not really important.)

And I'm thinking of changing Lucifer's name, mostly because of the association with Satan. I have no idea why I chose his name in the first place. Why did I think it was a good idea? O.o Also, Lucifer has a brother called Damien, which is another name with evil connotations. I thought I was so hilarious when I named them when I was 13. :rolleyes:

Lucifer's grandson's middle name is Lucien, because his parents thought "I'd love to name him after his grandfather but I don't want my child's middle name to be Lucifer." So maybe I could just change Lucifer's name to Lucien and be done with it. I dunno.

Oh, but Lucien and Damien as brothers? That'd sound weird, with them both ending in 'en.' I don't knowwwwwwwwww

[Edited on 3-7-12 by fayola]
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 05:23 PM

I'm listening to "Pumpkin Pie" by Evan Taubenfeld and it's making me want to write a scene from Book 4. Not good! I need to stay focused on Book 1!

Have I already mentioned that this is meant to be a 5 part series? Well it is. The book I'm writing currently is Book 1. I wrote Book 4 for JulNo last year, and Book 3 the year before. I wrote Book 2 for NaNo last year. Book 5 is the only one I haven't written yet, and I don't really know what happens in it. So, yeah.

I've probably written about 20 words today and now I'm going to go to bed. So, uh, this has been a productive couple of days...
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 07:52 AM

I think I just need to go on Write or Die and make myself write something today. Maybe then I'll be forced to figure out what's meant to happen next. Because sitting here thinking about it just isn't working. I need to just get on with it.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 11:12 AM

I don't think I updated you on my progress yesterday, so here's an overview of yesterdays' progress:

I said I was going to go on Write or Die, but then my internet went down for about 4 hours. Perfect timing. :rolleyes: So instead I had to motivate myself to write without the use of Write or Die (but then again, I didn't have the internet to procrastinate with, so that was probably a plus.) I ended up writing about 3k so now I'm pretty much back on track.

Plot-wise, I got past the point where I didn't know what was going to happen next. So that's good. Abby thinks she can help Maria recover her memories and get back home, but first she needs to do some research and doesn't want to be distracted, so she sends her children to give Maria a tour of the village they live in.

I managed to slip a little bit of backstory into this chapter. We learn that about 20 years ago the Rothmore brothers, Lucifer and Damien*, arrived in the village. They owned a shop that allegedly sold "fake magical artifacts" to "people stupid enough to believe that it all actually worked." When Lucifer died in a tragic train accident, Damien sold the shop to somebody who turned it into a cheap touristy gift-shop. Damien is said to be "not very well-adjusted" since his brother died.

Ooooh I love backstory. I know so much random, irrelevant stuff about my characters and their lives, and not all of it needs to be mentioned in the book. But I love when I get to show off my knowledge of this world.

*As I said before, their names are likely to change soon. I was 13 when I named them okay?

[Edited on 5-7-12 by fayola]
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 03:18 PM

I just hit 8k, and I'm on chapter 4.

We have just met Kara and Tallulah. Tallulah is currently a baby - she gets more interesting in the sequels. (She's kinda one of my least favourite characters, though. She's sort of annoying. She just distracts attention from her less annoying, more interesting, hotter cousin in Book 3.)
I don't think Tallulah was in the original version of this story - I thought of her later. But Kara's been here the whole time. Oh yes. She's been here for all the crazy.

Kara had some seriously stupid storylines* in the original version of this story, but I've got rid most of them now. She's kinda a minor character - but she's still a little bit important. She gets more important at the very end of the story. I also slipped some foreshadowing into this chapter, heheheheheh.

Every time I talk about foreshadowing I always think of Snape in "A Very Potter Musical" when he says "Can anybody tell me what foreshadowing is?"

*Fun Fact: If you're wondering what kind of "stupid storylines" I'm talking about, she faked her own death when she was 14. I... I don't even know why I thought that was plausible. Then she lived as a woman named "Melody," just a couple of miles away from the place where her family, who thought she was dead, lived.
That doesn't happen any more. She's always been alive, she's never faked her death. She's never dyed her hair red and called herself Melody.
But as a little reference to my 11-year-old self's crazy storylines, her daughter's middle name is Melody. Tallulah Melody Hart. It sounds a bit like a stripper's name, but whatever. I like it.

fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 06:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fayola  
(She's kinda one of my least favourite characters, though. She's sort of annoying. She just distracts attention from her less annoying, more interesting, hotter cousin in Book 3.)
Speaking of Tallulah's less annoying, more interesting, hotter cousin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICKY!! (even though you haven't been born yet in the book I'm currently writing.)

There are only a handful of characters whose birthdays I know, and one of them is Ricky's, the 6th of July. It just so happens to fall during JulNo, so I get to inform everyone on the forums that "IT'S ONE OF MY CHARACTERS BIRTHDAYS TODAY YAAAAAY" even though nobody cares.

Ricky isn't actually in the book I'm currently writing, because he hasn't been born yet... but he's in all the sequels and he's one of my favourite characters in the universe ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, enough about that. Today I've decided that I'm going to get in the top 50 of the Word Count Rankings. Last night I was at about 59 but I woke up this morning and I was about 80-something. Damn Americans, writing while I'm asleep.
freeform
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 11:57 AM

Good word count. You can do this, fayola! :)

fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 12:40 PM

Thanks freeform! :)

I haven't written much over the last couple of days. I've just hit 10k but I'm a little bit behind. I just got the desktop version of Write or Die so hopefully that'll increase my productivity.

I think I have an obsession with photographs. I swear, half of this book just involves characters looking at photos. It happens in some of the other books too. It's weird. I'll add photographs to the list of Weird Things That Keep Cropping Up In My Stories. The other things on this list include pancakes and trains.

Also, I spent most of today watching Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse. It's surprisingly funny.

[Edited on 8-7-12 by fayola]
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 02:35 PM

I haven't written much in ages, so I'm quite behind, whoooops.

I'm losing interest in this story a little bit. I really want to write one of the sequels. I'm finding myself more interested in them at the moment. I don't know why I'm getting so bored with this story. I think it's because I'm a bit unprepared and haven't totally planned what's meant to happen, so I have phases where I'm like "ughhhh I don't know what's meant to happen next so I'm not going to write anything for days."

Is there a "Dear Characters" thread anywhere on this forum? I know there's usually one on the NaNoWriMo forums but I don't know if anyone's made one here. I can't be bothered to start one myself, so I shall just write some letters to my characters right here. Because this is my progress thread and I'll do whatever the hell I want.

Dear Grace,
When are you going to do something interesting? I don't remember you being this boring as a child. I'm sure you won some kind of award on TS2UK, in the Diary Oscars or whatever they were called, for the best female character in 2006 or something. Or maybe you were just nominated, I can't remember. Or maybe I made all this up in some kind of crazy fever dream. But whatever, I'm sure you can be more interesting than you're being right now. Do something cute or creepy. Ugh you're so much more interesting in Book 2, I just want to write that instead.
I still love you and whatever,
Love Faye xxx

Dear Ricky, (and all the other character from Book 3 onwards, for that matter. I'm looking at you, Garrett, Iris and Alistair, and even Milton)
I love you more than life itself but PLEASE GO AWAY I DO NOT NEED YOU IN MY HEADSPACE RIGHT NOW. I need to focus on the first book and you're not in it, so please get out of my brain please and thank you. Oh my god I really want to write the alternate ending to Book 4. Can't I just do that instead? No, I need to focus and finish this book, and THEN I can have lots of alternate universe fun.
Love Faye xxx
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 08:18 AM

I think I'm taking a break from this story. Instead I'll be writing the alternate ending to Half The World Away (book 4 of this series, which I wrote for JulNo last year.) Maybe I'll write a bit of both at the same time, but my inspiration for this story has gone, so I might as well work on something else instead of just not writing anything.

The alternate ending of HTWA is so fun. It probably won't make it into the actual novel but I wanted to write it anyway because I've had this idea for ages but couldn't find a place to actually fit it into a book. Two characters accidentally time travel, and while they're in the past they accidentally stop an important event from happening. They arrive back in their present to find that the future has turned out very differently from the way it was supposed to... DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 03:13 PM

I've realised I probably won't win this year unless I make an epic comeback. That's not likely to happen, though.

Oh well. I'm having fun with what I'm doing and I'll probably continue once the month's over.

The HTWA alternate ending is going well. It's a lot more fun to write. I'm loving being back in the company of these characters.

I consider books 1 and 2 to be "Generation 1" and books 3, 4 and 5 are "generation 2," i.e. the characters from the later books are the children of character from the first books.

Now I kind of want to re-write The World Is Mine, book 3 of this series, which I wrote for my very first JulNo in 2010. It's the first book with the "Generation 2" characters in it and I wuv them so much.

Holy poop I just noticed my neighbors have a campfire in their back garden. O_o I just looked out the window and OMG FIRE. That was totally unrelated but I had to tell you.

This has been a post. Goodbye.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fayola  

Now I kind of want to re-write The World Is Mine, book 3 of this series, which I wrote for my very first JulNo in 2010. It's the first book with the "Generation 2" characters in it and I wuv them so much.

Be careful what you wish for.

I keep saying things in this thread like "Now I want to write something else," and then my brain goes "FUCK IT, LET'S DO IT."

So now I've changed my novel for the second time, and I've started writing a third draft of The World is Mine.

And I've gotta be honest, I love it. I love my main character and I love the storyline in general and ahhh it's just awesome. JulNo 2010, when I first wrote TWIM, was the first time I ever completed a novel from start to finish, and it was the first time I ever wrote something that I thought was good. I felt confident that it was good enough to keep re-writing and polishing until one day it was good enough for other people to read. So maybe that confidence is what has made me love re-writing it.

Writing TWIM feels so much easier than Book 1, which I tried to write at the beginning of this month. It's just flowing so much more naturally, and I'm finding it more fun and less forced. So that's good.

It's set in about 2021 but I'm just going to pretend that the technology then is exactly the same as it is now, and the same music is popular, just so I don't have to make stuff up. :P So they all have iPhones, which will probably be considered dinosaurs by 2021, and listen to Lady Gaga who, let's face it, will probably still be around by then if she's anything like Madonna.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-31-2012 at 09:14 AM

There are less than 9 hours left of JulNo, and I've still got a long way to go.

For a second I was thinking about giving up and resigning myself to the fact that I'm not going to win this year, but NO! I won't give up that easily. So I've decided I'm at least going to try to hit 50k, even if it means writing more than I've ever written in one day.

Let's fucking do this.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-31-2012 at 04:04 PM

48k! Fucking hell (excuse my language.)

I really didn't think I could do this. Earlier today I was like "nah, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not gonna win this year." But then I thought WHY? Why do I have to not win this year? I can totally still do it!
And guess what? I'm totally doing it.

About 2 hours left, and I need to write 2k. So far I've been averaging about 1k in 20 minutes. I can totally do this. I might even write MORE than 50k. Who wants to see my try for 60k? Nah, I'm totally joking. I just realised I say 'totally' a lot. I really should stop doing that.

God, I remember this time last year when I was rushing to finish Half The World Away. Last year was the perfect WriMo experience. I stuck with the same novel all the way through the month and enjoyed what I was writing. I procrastinated with a video game for two weeks but still managed to bring it back and win, completing my novel at around 60k on the final day.

This year has gone so differently. I changed my novel TWICE. I have two half-started novels and a snippet from the middle of another novel. I feel like a bit of a cheat for including all of them in my word count but it's not technically against the rules and it still goes to show that I can write 50k in a month. I started with The Novel Previously Known As 'For Everything You Did To Me,' then decided I was getting bored of it and started writing an alternate ending to Half the World Away. Then I decided that wasn't going to plan either, so I started a third draft of The World is Mine

I'm currently writing one of my FAVOURITE scenes of TWIM. It shouldn't be difficult to write another 2k of it. I kind of feel bad for not having one whole novel to show for this month, but 50k of three separate novels is still more than I had when I started.

[Edited on 31-7-12 by fayola]
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-31-2012 at 05:37 PM

And finally, I have hit 50k!

So far, The World is Mine is at around 26k, and the rest of the 50k is made up of the other stories.

There was a point where I genuinely believed I wasn't going to win this year. And yet here we are.
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 05:29 AM

I'm now wondering whether I should continue writing The World is Mine for AugNo. I tried AugNo last year and failed miserably, presumably because I'd already written a novel the previous month and couldn't be bothered to do it again immediately afterwards. But maybe this year will be different, seeing as I haven't actually finished my novel.

I discovered yesterday that I can write 6k in 2 hours, which is awesome. So if I just put aside an hour or two a day for writing, AugNo shouldn't be that difficult.

The World is Mine currently sits at around 26k, which according to WriMo standards, is just over half way through the novel. I think it might take more than that, though. Draft 2 was around 75k I think. It's still fairly early on, plot-wise.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]