JulNo Writer

Mood: Demotivated and depressed
JulNoWriMo Title: Cross of Gray

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-23-2012 at 06:09 PM
[Science Fiction] Cross of Gray

Hey there... Takuya calling...
This is my... um, third time doing JulNoWriMo after the last two failures, trying to continue only one novel draft... oh well, it's a new year, hence a new idea.
So I figured, as others have this kind of thread, I should have one too... Blogging is awesome when no-one reads my blog, but here's a chance someone reads it. So... :D (And talking to myself is my second favorite activity after eating.)

This year I chose the topic I know a lot of and am interested in - Egyptian mythology, mostly Egyptian gods and goddesses as such. I'm writing in my mother language Estonian, because when I'm writing in English, I eventually end up in a slump - it's really weird how one can forget the simplest words they usually use every day... Got to say, researching for factual correction is really awesome - learning about fruits and vegetables the Egyptians grew during the New Kingdom, clothing, how the clothes were washed (without soap)... Fascinating.

I've already started the story, to be honest, because after beginning plotting it a week or so ago I couldn't resist writing out the first scene. Of course, I'll count the words of the parts I write starting July 1st.

I've two original characters, 16 yrs old Serena Siobhan Gray and 19 yrs old Caleb Marlon Gray. They're sister and brother, they live with their grandmother, their father is constantly on business trips and their mother took off when they were little. Interesting is that I've written over 3k words already and haven't talked about the OCs and their lives... I usually tend to lay the pasts of the characters in front of everyone during the first 1k words... I don't even know how they look like and it's really weird. I only know that Serena has long black hair.

The gods and goddesses I chose are as follows: Isis, Ra, Bastet, Osiris, Sobek, Horos, Anubis, Seth, Hathor, Thot and Nut. They are the ones most bound to the plot. The antagonist god is Apep. Oh, and Neith is plotted to drop by at some point. Atum has made his appearance already and although he will be mentioned more and more, I don't think he'll show up again.

The plot??? Ha. Typical stuff - a bunch of mythical beings are pulled to the future by an evil spell chanted by an evil god, and two innocent bystanders from the future read the response to the spell, opening a time-space continuum-bending gate that allows these certain gods-goddesses to switch time and place. From 2745 BC, Cairo, Egypt to 2012 AD, New York, USA. Now that's a leap. The finale should be the evil god coming to the future, a great battle between gods-goddesses and a happy ending with the good ones returning to their very home and the bad one being punished severely.

I'm working on the scenes bit by bit, they're all numbered and act-like. Right now I'm about to start with the third scene. The average of a scene at the moment is 1679 words, which means that if I wrote exactly 1679 words per scene, I would have to write 29.8 scenes to reach my destination, 50k. It won't happen, though, because the scenes aren't of the same length and then there's loss of inspiration/motivation or just plain will to procrastinate.

Wow, this is really weird and I don't know what I wrote here. Anyway, good luck to me and may the coffee supply be infinite. (I've gotten back the habit of drinking 3 large cups of that yummy brown stuff a day so I should be just fine.)

EDIT: haha, now after reading the Sci-Fi novel supposed description, I seriously doubt mine is Sci-Fi... More like of mixed genre, but it has time travel! :D And I wouldn't place it anywhere else. :3

[Edited on 6-23-2012 by TakuyaKenzo]

"Close your eyes and pretend it's all a bad dream." "Then write it down!"
TakuyaKenzo
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 04:24 PM

Alright. Sitrep time!

So far I have only planned ahead 5 scenes, but I should plan some more... Either write a day's worth ahead and then use the day to plan or write and plan on same days. Two of my many gods have their hair and eye colors written - Thot has short and messy jet black hair and bright blue eyes, Osiris has jet black hair and greenish brown eyes. My next god(dess), Bastet, will have black hair in a bob cut and golden eyes. Her goddess form will have hair all the way to hips (as based on my earlier sketches from the time I actually thought of writing a fic based on Egyptian mythology). The others... Well, I decide while writing.

My two human characters have their hair colors determined - Serena's hair is long and black, Caleb's a brunette. Eye colors, though, are still undecided.

I seem to be holding my wine alright, so as JulNoWriMo has officially started (it's past midnight in Estonia), I'll test wine + writing at some point too. :)

[Edited on 6-30-2012 by TakuyaKenzo]

TakuyaKenzo
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 04:29 PM

15 scenes have been plotted, 10 have been completely written and scene 11 is halfway done. Plotting during work and bus drives is really awesome - no access to computer, but mind wide open and a notebook right there for doodling and scribbling down ideas.

Of 11 gods-goddesses to be found, five are already with the main mortal characters, and as they are being found, I usually write out their full descriptions, using the results of Google Images as well as descriptions in Wiki and other sites as reference - it's nice that I can be creative, concerning their hair and eyes, but they have their characteristic clothes that need to be as genuine as possible. I also did some research about clothing overall in Ancient Egypt - fabrics, pharaohs vs populace, washing etc.

Fun fact that I just learned: valerian was in use already in Ancient Egypt. I needed it to describe Bastet's state of mind when she said that she can feel the presence of other gods, but badly, and as I wrote the moment, I recalled my cats' reaction to valerian - like true crackheads.

Appearances: Hathor has long crimson hair and green eyes, Horos looks like his father and he has golden brown hair (of hairstyles I have noted "like Raito's [Yagami] hair" in my notebook) and greenish brown eyes, Isis has long blonde hair and bright blue eyes, Anubis will have short black hair (noted "like Mako's in LOK") and golden eyes. Why the hell is Isis's hair blonde, I have no fudging idea, but that's how she's drawn in my early sketches.

I personally look forward to Anubis's entrance scene - he's my favorite Egyptian deity, I have his miniature statue that we brought from Egypt on my shelf, and he will show up in a morgue. I think I am so eager to write the scene because I specialize in depressed characters and he will definitely be one when he discovers he can't fill his role as the weigher of the hearts because there are no souls to guide to the afterlife. He will be the first god to completely turn into an animal. Also, as I decided to mix Egyptian mythology with the Bible, I chose representatives for the Seven Deadly Sins, and Anubis represents Sloth.

Note to self: draw the characters because you're an artistic idiot.

TakuyaKenzo
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 05:27 AM

Ugh. I just continued writing today after removing the polish from my nails and having my everyday cup of coffee and watching a few episodes of a TV show... and it's bugging me as hell - my nails are too long, it's uncomfortable to type with my hands incapable of moving as fast as they usually do. But I've been growing my nails for so long that I don't have the heart to clip them... (I know, I'd be complaining about it too if I played StepMania daily, but I don't anymore.) I don't want to sacrifice my months of controlling myself not to bite my nails, and now... ugh.

Isis would say "Fudge it, I'm a badass lass, no hardship can affect my beauty!"

TakuyaKenzo
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 04:58 PM

Yes, it's now official... I dropped JulNoWriMo.
BUT I will not drop my novel, I will continue working on it in my own pace with my own daily goals - obviously 1660+ words per day was too much for me for I'm a slow writer and Estonian isn't really a language that increases the word count drastically like English, for example.

I guess this is goodbye for now - maybe next year I can write more, better and in English.

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 10:32 PM

Good for you, continuing your novel! As someone who has been writing for years for my own amusement, I can tell you that the more you write, the easier you will find it to write a bit faster. But that's not important. What's important is having fun with your novel.
:D
Hang on to those stories until you get them down! Dreams should always be plugged away at. :D

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]