SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

Mood: Insane :)
JulNoWriMo Title: The Silver Cliffs

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2012 at 11:20 PM
[sci-fi/fantasy] I could be doomed...

Everything I write is sci-fi and/or fantasy of some kind, usually a mix of both. I have several options for JulNo this year, none of which are anything to do with the thread title. That's just an acknowledgement of my self-imposed break from writing following a particularly bad episode of tendonitis that put an end to my attempt at Camp NaNo. By day 16 I could barely type a hundred words at a stretch, so I conceded defeat and set myself an enforced break until the beginning of July. I'm still allowed to type forum posts and tweets and I might do another blog post or so, but no writing until JulNo.

Not being allowed to write is worse than running out of coffee. Maybe. Caffeine withdrawals can get pretty nasty sometimes.

Oh... I should introduce myself. I'm Siana - goat dairy farmer who owns too many cats and wants to write everything at once. I started WriMo-ing in November 2010 and this 2-week break is going to be my longest time off writing since then. Last year I wrote a million words and 12 first drafts. This year I'm going slower and trying to focus on polishing up a few of the better efforts from last year.

JulNo will probably be a continuation of my paused June novel, but I still have a week to decide. I'll probably have changed my mind a dozen times before July begins.

Anyway, it's the 23rd. That means 7 more days of no writing.

[Edited on 29-6-2012 by SianaBlackwood]

"When the path seems well-lit, kill the lights and wander into darkness."
- Chuck Wendig
NaNoPlotMo | Arrow of Eloquence
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-28-2012 at 03:17 AM

Not being allowed to write is also worse than not having coffee because the computer is still in the house. I started writing again on the 26th (331 words). Since then I've written 317 and 405 words. Not much, but enough to soothe the cravings without causing myself too much pain.

I'm pretty sure in July I'll be continuing Doom, my Camp NaNo novel that's sitting at just above 30k of an expected 75k. If I finish it, I'll go on with a first-person rewrite of Darkness (first book of the series that contains Doom) or else Black Ice, my probably-never-going-to-be-finished space epic. Descriptions of these and several other projects I'd like to play with are probably going to turn up soon.

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-29-2012 at 09:11 AM

24 hours to go. I've changed my thread title to one that reflects both my mood and the title of my most likely project for the month. I'm about halfway through Doom at the moment, so I feel like I'm writing total garbage and lots of other story ideas are starting to look appealing.

One of them is a complete rewrite of last year's JulNoWriMo project. I can't do that, because I need to have some kind of plot in mind before I start rewriting.

Another one is about death metal and necromancy. Then there's the unfinished space epic and the idea that popped up for massively expanding my 2010 NaNo...

Oh, and the 2011 NaNo seems to think it deserves some attention. Right now I'm jealous of all those people who can write over 200k a month, because if I could write that fast I could get some of these stories out of the way. I mean, it's standing room only for characters in my head at the moment and I don't know what I'm going to do if a fight breaks out...

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 09:26 AM

Setting a new record for lack of pre-wrimo preparation, I have literally nothing ready for JulNoWriMo. No plan for a story, no story idea that I've specifically failed to plan, no July spreadsheet, no backups done, none of the tedious WriYe paperwork...

...although a moment ago I did realise that I had the order of the next two major deaths in Doom wrong.

On the other hand, that could be bad. Now I have the opportunity to think of a connection between a girl and the Wizard of the West... which means even the idea of just blundering on with Doom is more difficult than I expected.

Part of the problem is that I've spent a lot of today thinking that I need a break from Toby's universe. If I'd had time today I might have done some preparation so I could spend July with either Starburn or Merlin, but time was not my friend today. Real life stuff happened, so while I did hit my 33,333 word goal for Doom (exactly, which was fun :))...

Wait, I already explained the lack of preparation. I should probably go and knock over a few of these end-of-June jobs and see if I can get some inspiration flowing.

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 01:13 AM

For future reference, I have a nice muse. In 'conversation' with him last night while I was trying to figure out what to do for JulNoWriMo, he offered to cattleprod Doom's MMC into submission and then sent me to bed because I was too tired to think straight. Oh, and he complained that I wasn't appreciative of the flash of inspiration he gave me just before midnight.

A while ago I wrote a crazy necromancy-related story in which Scott (my muse) and I were the main characters. Since then, whenever I'm feeling particularly crazy I go back to writing out my planning as if it's part of the story. Last night started like this:

Quote:
"Oh, so you finally admit that we need to talk, do you?" Scott asked, folding his arms and glaring in Siana's general direction. "How many hours did you just spend making a new kind of spreadsheet?"
"That's not the point," Siana said, avoiding her muse's eyes. "How come you're so angry, anyway?"
"I'm not really," Scott said, relaxing his stance and coming to sit beside Siana on the blue couch. "I just wasn't sure how to start the conversation and I figured there was a good chance it was going to end up being a fight."
"So you wanted to get in a few jabs early?" Siana asked. "What kind of logic is that?" She looked sideways at Scott. "Guess where we are again?" she asked.
"Sitting together with one of us trying to talk the other one into a reasonable frame of mind?" Scott asked. "Happens a lot, doesn't it?"

...and then went on with Scott coming up with ideas for beating up Toby (Doom's MC). It's never a good idea to let your muse take up weapon collecting, by the way.

Somehow Scott managed to talk me into continuing Doom for JulNo and now I actually have words - 678 of them. It probably says a lot about my state of mind that I've actually written over 2.5k today just trying to figure out what I'm doing with myself this month.

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 03:50 AM

Doing okay, I guess. I'm working on two things - the first draft of Doom (book 3) and the second draft of Darkness (book 1). i'm about halfway through Doom and 3/4 of the way through Darkness, so between the two of them I think I'll get somewhere around 60k for the month. Then I'm going to shove the whole series in a drawer and do something else for a while. At the moment I don't see much potential in it, but maybe a few months of distance will let me see it in a better light.

By the way, although I'd like to participate in that 'novel swap', Doom is pretty much twenty-five or so years of backstory that only mean anything to me. I might be prepared to negotiate for a read of either Darkness or last year's JulNo novel, though. Is that allowed?

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 09:48 AM

The thing I just realised I haven't done in this thread:

When he was eight years old, Toby Moonstone's parents were murdered. Toby swore to avenge their deaths, but when the man came after him their confrontation ended with Toby being accused of his aunt's murder. Toby was recruited into the shady organisation known as the Black Guardians and became one of their best swordsmen. He never gave up his quest for vengeance, though.

If he knew all the things Siana Blackwood was going to do to him along the way, he might have decided peace was the answer...

I probably shouldn't try to write synopses late at night when I have a shaky idea what Doom is about in the first place, but that at least says a little bit more about the story than what I've mentioned so far.

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 03:37 AM

Toby Moonstone, the brand new poster boy for insanity, put his head in his hands and wished he'd stayed in bed that day.

It's fun letting supporting characters give a silly nickname to the MC who takes himself too seriously.

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 09:40 AM

Progress on my doom appears to have stalled...

No, I mean progress on Doom appears to have stalled. My doom is coming along nicely.

--

Translation: I didn't write anything on day 10. I could blame headaches, poor sleep patterns, writer's block, allergy pills... Don't know which of those are excuses and which ones might be contributing to my gloom. It could just be the fact that I always seem to be depressed towards the middle of the month. Maybe I should concentrate on the slightly easier second draft (Darkness) just to keep the words going.

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 03:59 AM

Maybe my thread is just doomed. Right now Doom is sitting on 52.5k and Darkness is at 64.3k. No, not all countable for JulNo. I wrote the first 33k of Doom in June and the first 51k of Darkness in May. So, 31,866 right now for JulNo.

So, writing is doing all right. The story is even making a little bit of sense, or so i like to pretend.

Favourite line of the day:

Quote:

"I'm going to sound like an idiot," I said.
"I'll listen anyway." Claire shifted a little closer and I shivered as her hand brushed against mine.

I have major guilt issues about Claire right now. NEVER write a prequel, guys. Going through the whole story and knowing what happens to Claire... :crying:

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 11:25 PM

I've gone into a temporary retreat from Doom, which means I've just been working on Darkness and I only have about 2k (at the most) to go on that one. The ending is crap, but really sad. On the bright side I think I understand why the ending is crap, now. the third draft of Darkness might actually come out readable.

Random cute Toby and Sachiko stuff:

Quote:
"Sachiko?"
"What?"
I wanted to ask her why she was helping me, but just hearing her voice brought a lump to my throat. "I think I just wanted to make sure you were still there," I said.

...which is why I can't write Toby/Sachiko and Toby/Claire at the same time. Easily irritated, hard-to-control character refuses to develop the same kind of relationship with two girls at the same even if by his timeline it's at least two years apart.

[Edited on 22-7-2012 by SianaBlackwood]

- Chuck Wendig
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-27-2012 at 03:33 AM

36th person to pass 50k :).

Things achieved this month:

1) Finished Darkness
2) Written 50k

The last thing on my list of things I'm actually likely to achieve is 'Get Doom to 60k', which leaves me with 15k to go to finish the story. I'm 995 words away from that one...

- Chuck Wendig

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]