thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Motivated
JulNoWriMo Title: Three Stars

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 11:42 AM
[Light Fantasy] Three Stars

So, I'm starting this a bit early because I not only am doing JulNo, but Camp NaNo in June as well as August. That's 150k in one summer! My main and most important goal is to get my 50k in July, but getting a whole 150k would be brilliant. I don't think I have any possibility of not finishing a novel this way.

So, I do have a blog, but I tend to not write about my novel in detail on it. Just little tiny updates on there.

On here, I will be focusing purely on novel writing and updates on that. I may also be looking for suggestions and help on my story, all comments and fun people are welcome!

I say "Light Fantasy" in the thread topic because I have no magic or other races in my world. It's just not earth where there's no electricity and machines and stuff.

So, a little synopsis of my planned novel:

Rossi lives a life between worlds, never quite belonging to one. After a tragic childhood he turns to a life of solitude. One night, he's captured by the legendary Desert Priests and his life is turned around. While he still doesn't seem to fit in, he finds a girl worth staying for, but war breaks out in the north and everything changes. His love gets him banished and he catches himself on the wrong side of the High Priest's sword. He runs to solitude again. However, this time it turns him into a soldier and he must fight to end the war and save his and many others' lives.

Okay, so I'm bad at synopses, but that's the basic idea. Any ideas? What do you think?

So how's Camp NaNo going, you ask?
Hilariously not on plan.

So, I had originally planned on just writing a little "prologue" before starting the novel describing the most tragic scene in Rossi's childhood. By the time I finished writing the prologue, I decided that I would just write his childhood. This is slowly turning into a sort of prequel novel. It even has it's own big picture plot!

So, I'm 4300 words behind and not writing what I planned from the point of view of a twelve year old. Yeah.

Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 05:42 AM

Wow, that's an ambitious goal! Good luck!

I've a few questions on the synopsis for consideration: Why is he captured by the Desert Priests? Who are they (I quite like the name)? And how does solitude turn him into a soldier later? It sounds pretty though. And if elves and dwarves and magic is "high fantasy", yours should probably be "low fantasy", haha.

But at least you're getting words out of the unplanned parts? If it's fun to write and interesting, I'd say go with the flow and see where it takes you... At least you'll get to know your MC better which will help you in the main plot. :]

Always keep the faith.
thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 10:28 PM
CampNaNo Update: 6/13

All right! Update time! It's been a few days I know. I've written over 5k today though, so I feel like I deserve a break.

Quick stats update: I am now almost 15k into the novel (which also means over 5k behind still) and now that school is over I've found much more time to write. However, the new job is starting to get in the way because it's super tiring.

This unplanned novel I'm writing is now turning into a full blown novel with a serious plot and sub plots. I have this girl in the story and I'm not really sure what to do with her. Because they're both fairly young (Rossi is 12 and the girl, Gayla, is 14). I don't think she's going to be a part of the big picture novel. But it poses a way to make Rossi have an even more tragic childhood.

I also managed to go a good 5k without naming a horse that comes up in 90% of the scenes without being "HORSE" instead of a name. Which I have done for "STABLEBOY". Still searching for him.

I'm also a bit bugged that I have no title for this novel and it also throws off the plan of having this trilogy with each following someone from each of the different countries. Maybe it will turn into a full blown series. Or this novel will never be published or something.

NOW! To the questions! (I actually got some, I'm quite pleased.)

Quote: Originally posted by Melange  

I've a few questions on the synopsis for consideration: Why is he captured by the Desert Priests? Who are they (I quite like the name)? And how does solitude turn him into a soldier later?

He's captured because he goes to sleep in the desert and they're nearby. Not too dramatic, I know, but the DPs are very secretive and pretty much are not okay with him sleeping in their vicinity.

I actually have a lot figured out on the Desert Priests and was the whole reason I started the idea of the planned novel (and now the unplanned one). They're almost like a cult and are a very disciplined order. According to legends, they're basically the ultimate assassins. Also, very into the whole "woman is weak and for cooking and sex" thing. It seemed fun to write. And the woman mentioned in the synopsis is special and not "for cooking and sex".

Lastly, I'm really unsure of how to answer this without spoiling anything. He gets banished from the DPs and ends up in the middle of the Great Northern War (I find that if you capitalize general terms, they become cool names) and to save himself from dying, becomes a soldier for one side of the war.

More to come later.
Suggestions on how to deal with the young children thing? I'm not really looking for a romance, but I've implied that he's got a little crush sort of thing. Should she become a main character? What do you think?

thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 05:09 PM
Update: 7/5

Hey everyone! So I've obviously been MIA for a while. I did almost reach my goal kinda sorta in Camp NaNo. I got to about 30k in total. So that went okay.

I'm doing pretty good on my JulNo novel. I'm hopping back and forth between my prequel that remains unnamed and a very pantsy novel and my actual originally planned novel which is planned and all.

Most of my writing got done yesterday because before that I was on vacation.

VidCon was amazing by the way. I partied a little too hard and got a compression injury in my calf. It's like the opposite of pulling it.

Anyways, I've been struggling with the fact that I hardly do any descriptions while I'm writing which really kills my word count. I'll get so far in plot and I've only got 1k more on my word count. So I'm working on that a lot right now. Any tips or hints as to how to get enough description in? And how much is too much description? Too little?

Nothing too exciting has happened in either novel right now. So, we'll see how that goes.

thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 04:08 PM
Update: 7/13

Boom! Update!

All right, so my planned novel is still only about 3k in and not very far plot wise. However, I've been writing a lot in this prequel of mine. That's where my word count is coming from. Though it's nice to skip back and forth between the two in case I get tired of one. I don't recommend writing two novels at once from different points in someone's timeline from the POV of the same character, because I have to keep things consistent which is difficult at times.

I've found that stopping in the middle of a scene has gotten me to write a lot more than anything else. That and trying to stay at least within the Top 100 while writing, if not more. So that's my tip to get through dreaded week 2. Also, listen to epic music. Currently, it's classic rock for me.

I'm currently about 3.5k behind where I should be. I have 3 more hours to write today to catch up, though, so hopefully I can get back up to where I should be.

So, in the prequel, my MC (Rossi) is struggling with his tragedy and the unfairness of life and such. Also, the fact that everyone is being nice to him is odd to him. He's decided to go looking for his sister who may or may not be alive still. I'm going to have a scene coming up that changes plans though, because when an entire city gets burned to the ground, the king should probably be told. That hasn't happened yet though. I'm still not sure what to do with this girl, now named Gayla. I think she'll be coming along at least to go to the capital. After that, who knows? I know she's not in the second novel. Maybe I'll kill her. But enough of that. What's the fun in pantsing a novel if you don't just write and not think about what's going on?

In the real novel that's all planned, which takes place about 8-10 years later, Rossi has escaped death twice already in the first 3k. This might be a little too intense for the beginning of a novel, but hey, it's the first draft.

So, how's everyone else's writing going?How are you getting through the dreaded Week 2 troubles?
Any ideas on this Gayla chick and what I should do with her?

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 05:25 PM

Gayla's the "love" who gets him banished?
What kind of person is she?
Since they are kids, well, adults tend to interfere. Maybe she gets adopted or separated from him somewhere. I'd say Hitler's war is a good place to look for how kids fare in war times.
LittleMissMuffet
JulNo Member

Mood: Scatterbrained
JulNoWriMo Title: Cellos

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 09:29 AM

It's probably a little bit late to answer your earlier questions but hey it's all good. Your novel seems to be coming along pretty well though! Here's to me rooting for you because I'm doing the campNaNo and julno deal myself.

Also epic music is always a plus tch. That's what usually gets me through novelling.
That and.. rewards.... lots of little rewards. xP

Good luck with the rest of your novel though~!

My writing history consists of...
- 3 NaNos
- 3 Screnzies
- 2 Camps
- 1 JulNo
- 3 non-month related
thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 05:51 PM
Update: 7/17

Yay! People are talking to me! :D And I've written 4k today, so I'm rewarding myself with an update. Yes. That makes perfect sense.

Quote: Originally posted by Foodmoon  
Gayla's the "love" who gets him banished?
What kind of person is she?
Since they are kids, well, adults tend to interfere. Maybe she gets adopted or separated from him somewhere. I'd say Hitler's war is a good place to look for how kids fare in war times.

Gayla is actually not the girl who gets him banished. She's the FMC for the prequel. I, sadly, am thinking I'll have to kill Gayla at the end of the prequel. The girl that gets him banished is named Liana and while they are adults in the planned novel. I know. Confusing.

The war is actually during the planned novel while all characters are adults to my knowledge. So no war with kids. Interesting plot idea though. Also, it's a fantasy novel that takes place in a made up fantasy world, so adoption and other things like that are very unlikely.

Quote: Originally posted by LittleMissMuffet  
It's probably a little bit late to answer your earlier questions but hey it's all good. Your novel seems to be coming along pretty well though! Here's to me rooting for you because I'm doing the campNaNo and julno deal myself.

Also epic music is always a plus tch. That's what usually gets me through novelling.
That and.. rewards.... lots of little rewards. xP

Good luck with the rest of your novel though~!

It's never to late to answer questions! Thanks for the rooting :P I didn't do Camp June too well, but I'm hoping I might be able to pull through during Camp Aug... I may just lower my personal goal to a lot lower.

On to the update!

So, my prequel is sitting at about 16k right now and my planned novel at about 5k. Obviously, I'm favoring the prequel. I have been bouncing back and forth a lot though which is a bit confusing for me, but also leads to a great potential for plot hole problems. Let's divide this up for today:

Prequel
Is still untitled by the way. It's saved to my computer as "Three Stars prequel" which doesn't help in the confusion. The father (Dael) has left to the capital, and Gayla and Rossi both are staying behind in the village, instead of going to the capital. I have discovered that Dael was once a part of the Desert Priests that are a main point in the next novel, but no one knows except for Darian (his wife, Gayla's mother).
Rossi still has the idea of going after his sister in the back of his mind, but is aware that he has no idea how to save her or how to fight. So that's starting. He's got a job with the village blacksmith and Gayla is teaching him how to hunt a little. Not really sure what's going to happen for a while, but I believe that the town is going to be attacked by the crazy raiders. However, instead of it all burning down because this village is by a river, I think I might have Gayla and/or Rossi get captured. This will lead him to his sister and there will be a fun trio of rebellion within the rebel camp and crazy shenanigans and stuff. Yeah.

Three Stars
So, I think I've only written about 1k in this since my last update. So not much has happened. He's been offered a place to stay with the Desert Priests. Now he's thinking about it. Liana hates him, which I'll have to fix at some point. Because they become bff/lovers at some point in here. Also nearing my first sex scene for this book. Should be interesting.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]