JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aiming for Publication?
KivrinAngel
JulNo Member

Mood: 9613

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:19 PM
Aiming for Publication?

Just wondering if anyone else out there is writing for serious publication? I know that the true NaNo policy isn't so much designed for seriousness, but I'm sure there are others out there who use it as a motivational tool like I do.

I'm finishing up my 3rd novel this month. The first two are part of a series, but this one's a stand alone. Last year I signed with a literary agent and the series is under consideration at Bantam. They're taking too long, though, and my agent wants this new book to light a fire under them. Bite or we'll send this one elsewhere to give competition.
aside_the_point
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

Mood: 83524

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:20 PM

Depends what I think of the novel at the end. At the moment, I'm thinking about re-writes and edits, and I'm getting pretty excited about revising it and making it sound good, so possibly. But then again, the entire concept for the novel might morph itself into something stupid, so you never know.

~Colonia

\"What do they got? A lot of sand? We got a hot Crustacean band!\"
Kassi
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

Mood: havin' a good time

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:51 PM

Yup. Although I've got three other novels finished and polished I'd probably try with first, the one I'm doing now is set in the same world.

Last November I decided to do a one-shot, rather than working from any established outlines, so that in case writing a book in a month handed me a really crappy novel it would at least be one I wasn't attached to. I took all these failed ideas for characters and situations that I'd never been able to bring myself to throw away and mixed them together. I was fantastically surprised it worked so well and I wound up with something that was worth polishing and submitting for publication. This time I'm writing something I've wanted to write for a while and I'm hoping that the formula will prove successful again. I feel pretty good about what I've written so far, so yes.

Kassi
VictoriaVipere
JulNo Member

Mood: 3193

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 04:06 PM
Publication

I am definitely thinking publication in the long termness of everything, but right now, I just want to write and edit. I look at my old work and it just makes me cringe, but I know that it is salvagable, so I may end up spending some time during Julno editing as well. Those are my goals.. editing and writing. If only I didn't have Buffy to distract me!
KivrinAngel
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 04:13 PM

Ooooh! Buffy! That's actually a good excuse for a distraction. Joss Whedon is a creative genius and I think the series should be studied by all writers for plot. Think about it. Season two was so intricate with the way they set Spike up as antagonist, then boom! There's Angel. By the time the season was over, everything had tied into everything else. It was perfect! And then there's the episode at the end of Season 4. I think it was actually called "Restless", but I'll always know it as "Joss Whedon's Opus". It's a dream episode that seems so perfectly like a real dream in the way things move from one scene to another and make only vague sense. Yet if you really watch it, he gave away the secrets for EVERY season until the end of the show. They were just so well hidden that you can only find them in retrospect.

Yeah, I'm a fan. ;)
VictoriaVipere
JulNo Member

Mood: 3193

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 04:27 PM

I can totally tell that you're a fan. My favorite eps are "Hush", "The Body" and "Once More...with Feeling", but those, I think, are also the ones that got nominated for Emmys. I also like the whole Willow arc that starts way back in Season 3 with the floating pencil and moves through growing into magic and then nearly ending the world and then finally saving it. (Can you tell that I'm in Season 6). I'm watching them the whole way through. Joss Whedon is an amazing writer!
Maggie
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

Mood: progressive

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 10:31 AM

Yep, though I go through POD (Lulu) for publication. I had one published and it gained a surprising fandom, so I decided to try my hand at a second one.

http://www.erikagriffin.net
http://deaddoll00.deviantart.com/

...And in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever. ~ H.P. Lovecraft
KivrinAngel
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 10:50 AM

Maggie, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with POD. They're generally viewed as vanity publishing to most, but I like to keep an open mind until I hear from someone who's actually been there and done that. If you don't want to go into here, you're welcome to contact me at KivrinAngel@yahoo.com, or on Yahoo IM with the same name. Thanks!

Robin
Maggie
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 12:11 PM

Oh my, no. Vanity Press and POD are two different venues. Vanity Press (or as I like to call it, the devil) charges oodles of cash for inane things like formatting and cover design and such (on which they give you no choice but to pay, and it's really stuff you can do yourself!). So you end up spending from anywhere between hundreds of dollars (and in some cases, I hear a few companies even charge in thousands-HAHAHA!) to see your work in print. It's a bad, BAAAAD idea to go through Vanity Press.

POD (Publish on Demand) companies do charge you once in a while for services, but those are things you can choose between (like wether or not you want your work edited or someone to make the cover for you, etc.) and you don't have to accept them. Lulu, for example, is a free service and only take a percentage of royalties (royalties you set, for that matter). The only thing about being successful in POD is you have to market/advertise your own stuff, but hey, if you have the know-how, it's all good.

When I got my first book published through Lulu, apart from the money they get from their share of the royalties (which is fair, imho), I paid $170CAD so I could put an advanced ISBN service to it and have it listed in Amazon, B&N, and tons of other online sellers. So I spent $170 plus about $7.00 to buy a copy of my own book to make sure it looked good (which it did, yay).

Difference in Vanity Press? If I had gone through a company like Xlibris (which advertisers as POD, but is actually a Vanity Press) it would have cost me about $900 US for a similar service.

[Edited on 7-10-2005 by Maggie]

...And in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever. ~ H.P. Lovecraft
KivrinAngel
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 12:18 PM

Have you earned back the money you spent?
Maggie
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 12:45 PM

Oh sure, with some extra right along, not a fortune or anything, but I got it back all the same and made some money. But again, it depends on how well you advertise.

In any case, not really in this to make money, since I priced my book low enough to make it affordable. The fact I made a profit was a perk, lol.

KivrinAngel
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 04:57 PM

Well it definitely sounds like it worked out good for you! I'm glad to hear it. I hope your next one does as well too. Do you have a link that we can check out the one you already have? Maybe tell us a bit about it?
Maggie
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 05:44 PM

Well, you can see a both purchasing info along with a novel and illustration (the book is illustrated) preview for it right over here: http://www.deviantart.com/view/13993870/

I, too, hope the second will do as well as this one has :)

On an unrelated note, I loved both Buffy and Angel. My favourite Buffy episode was Hush. The Gentlemen were unlike any other villains in the series, loved them! ^^

[Edited on 7-10-2005 by Maggie]

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]