Author: Subject: Scene break ruts
Kassi
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

Mood: havin' a good time

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley16.gif posted on 7-6-2005 at 09:58 PM
Scene break ruts

Does anyone else experience the phenomenon of ending a scene and having trouble jumping right in to the next one? When I take a break at the end of the scene, I feel slightly drained of the momentum that drove me through that scene. Sometimes it can be damn near impossible to get a handle on the next one. I need to write more than one scene a day, darn it! :-/

Sometimes I'll make myself a cup of tea and fiddle around with my music while thinking about the next scene, the characters in it and what has to happen. Once I hit on the right mood and the first line pops into my head, I'm good to go -- but occasionally I have trouble getting to that point.

So what do you do, when you take breaks, to get back into the writing?

Kassi
KivrinAngel
JulNo Member

Mood: 9613

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:06 PM

I have the same problem. Luckily, my scenes are generally long. I tend to stay in one scene throughout the entire chapter, so a scene averages 15-20 pages. I do take breaks between them. Usually only writing one a day. But even when I do write more than one, I have to decompress between.

Robin
Kassi
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

Mood: havin' a good time

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:32 PM

Mine are long too, I wonder if that's why I have so much trouble bouncing back after one finishes. I feel like I've either ridden a rollercoaster, watched a powerfully emotional movie, and had sex all simultaneously.

(It sounds right in my head, but I'm fairly sure that last sentence probably wasn't clear enough to get my point across. Let's try again.)

It's ovewhelming writing a long scene. Especially when it's one that will precipitate a later breakup, and it turns out the party one least suspected is the one that's falling out of love, so to speak. That's what I get for writing a two-sentence description of an entire chapter during madcap storylining at the last minute from a collection of half-crazed notes spread over three different files!

I'll stop now. :X

Kassi

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]