Author: Subject: Realistic Fiction
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 07:12 PM
Realistic Fiction

For those writing in the realistic fiction genre, talk about your writing here and share ideas with others. :-)

gaye-belle
JulNo Member

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 10:33 PM

Ah! this may be the genre for the novel I have just completed. A woman becomes the identity of a baby through looking at a photo, she becomes that baby, and proceds to grow up from another era. Events are fact that happen during this time, but then, it is a fantasy, as it was a dream of course. Yet realistically this cannot happen. Although the woman in the child's body was her own self ,and history could not be changed, she was trapped in side in thought, but could not manipulate the child she was in. Even I'm getting confused :)
Spreadlight
JulNo Member

Mood: tired. Very tired. But hopeful

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 12:54 PM

I usually write realistic fiction--but this time I think I'm doing either sci-fi, fantasy, or both

You can\'t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

--Jack London
watercolour
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 03:19 PM

I've not decided which story to write for Julno yet. Tomorrow is decision day.

I have a couple of people-y fiction ideas - one humour one not, a crime idea, and two failed 15K witch stories that now have better outlines.

Decisions decisions. :rolleyes:
sylvrilyn
so many ideas, so little time

Mood: fed up
JulNoWriMo Title: Stones, Pt. II

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 03:23 PM

Ooh. I'm having curiosity about your witches. Are they real-world witches, or fantasy witches?

"A painting is never finished. It simply stops in interesting places." -- Paul Gardner

emmeline
Faffing away

Mood: awake

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:44 PM

Mine's people-y fiction all the way. I was going to write it from several different people's perspectives, but my main character reads other people really badly and I figure it may be more fun if we stick with her distorted view of who the others are, rather than get a true picture of them straight away. :)
watercolour
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 04:22 PM

Both my witches are peoply-witches, S.

One witch story is set in England in the... I-have-no-idea-which century, but long before they had red telephone boxes and red buses.

The other one is set right here right now.

But in view of Jesse's post under 'overplotters anonymous' I'm wondering if I shouldn't try for a new, shiny idea?

I'll probably compromise and use a new shiny idea that involves one witch.

Emmeline, I read a very people-y Larry McMurtry book called Leaving Cheyenne, which is about two very different young men, best pals: Gideon :) and Johhny 8-), who both love the same local girl, Molly :-*.

The first half of the book tells the story from Gid's vp. The next quarter of the book covers the same events from Molly's vp. The last quarter covers the same events from Johnny's vp.

Sounds like a recipe for boredom but it isn't. It's one of those books that sucks you in. When you get to the end you feel like you've just said farewell to three of your closest friends. :crying:

Because he takes you right inside the heads of all three characters, lots of small details fall into place as you get to understand why one of them did, or didn't do, something earlier on in the story.

It's the best multi-vp story I've read.
:)
Bella24
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 09:49 PM

Although my story could ultimately be categorized as a mystery, the interactions between the main character and that of her modern surroundings def. classify it more as this realistic-fiction genre. I'm debating whether it will be multi-perspective, but I'm thinking that maybe that will be a bit difficult... who knows, lol, I'll have to see as I get started writing.
ktdid525
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 11:08 AM

I don't know if this is exactly the correct catagory, but its the closest I guess. I'm getting a late start on this as I just found out about it last night, but I'm hoping to write my novel somewhat based on personal experiences. Its based the lady who babysat me as a child, she became a grandmother to me and overcame so many things in her life its crazy. Anyway the story will be about our lives at her place and how the group of children grew stronger because of her.
darkmuse17
JulNo Member

Mood: quirky

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 03:21 PM

My story is part autobiography (I'm using a lot of events that actually happened to me, but changing them around a little since I feel more comfortable writing fiction than actually proclaming "THIS IS ME") and part hot issues/tragedies that do occur every day.

Basically, I plan to write a series of vignettes that will all intertwine, a bit like the movie Love Actually. However, my novel will not be as quirky or fun or happy. For example, one storyline shows the development of bulimia in one character, starting when she's 9 years old. However, things do not get really bad until she witnesses events that send her boyfriend into a coma and gets raped in college. That's when she loses it and fights for her life in a war against her own body.

Another character is abused by his alcoholic father, and witnesses his mother's murder when she tries to leave her husband. He eventually ends up having several abusive relationships and turns to drugs to help him cope.

Another character is a voyeur who stalks his co-worker when she refuses to date him, resulting in ugly consequences.

I also plan on having sexuality/alternative lifestyles play a role in the story. I might have a story about hatecrimes come into play as well.

So yeah, it's not particularly fun or happy, but it's full of important issues. And who knows, maybe a happy ending will occur for at least one of the characters.
watercolour
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 05:40 PM

It's taken me most of the day to finally decide which story to write, :-/ but I'm finally off the starting blocks writing a suspense people-y fiction story involving a Glasgow family I've written about before.
I'm going to try a new approach too. I'm using y-Writer from scratch, to try writing a story by the 'phase outline' method ie going through the entire story writing only a 'phase' or scene outline ( of around 100 words ) describing the events that will happen in each scene.

When the entire story has been described in 'phases' I'll go back to the start and write the dialogue etc for each scene.

If I don't get on with this method I'll revert to writing as it comes, but I've been keen to give this a try on a new story for some time.

It's been a slow start but a start none the less.
ani
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-5-2007 at 03:37 PM

I'm assuming that character-based drama would fit under here?

Well, my story is something of a mix of serious drama in a world basically like our own, with some satirical comedy, with occasional fantastical segments (making for what I guess would be considered magical-realism).

It's turning out interestingly, I guess.
watercolour
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 04:54 PM
realistic non-fiction?

Having struggled with writing the entire detailed 'phase' outline for my people-y fiction story in third person pov, I got sick of it as many details still need to be sorted out, so I just started 'seat of the pants' writing from first person pov.

But being off work this week I also decided to change direction completely and write my own life story. I don't know if autobiographical counts for Julno but I'm on the crest of a big wave with this one so I'm going with it in any case.

This is a project that's been in mind for a long time so I'm pleased that it's finally flowing. I'm looking for the humour in the real life situations rather than writing it like a school composition.
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watercolour
I don't know if autobiographical counts for Julno but I'm on the crest of a big wave with this one so I'm going with it in any case.

Sure, why not? :)

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]