Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 03:56 AM
Healers in Fiction

I'm curious.
How do you do healers in fiction?

Do you call them healers, or doctors, or something else?
Do you do them all sweet and light?
Or are they all gruff and tough?
Do you have certain creeda they follow?
Are they respected or despised?
Do you do all your healers in all your stories the same?
Or do you vary them from world to world as it suits you, like I do?
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

Mood: Insane :)
JulNoWriMo Title: The Silver Cliffs

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 09:12 AM

Wow, so many questions...

Yes.
Sometimes, but not very often.
Sometimes. Usually somewhere between sweet and tough...
Aside from a certain ruthlessness in their bedside manner, not really.
Usually they're just like ordinary people.
No.
Er... obviously, yes.

To elaborate a little, whenever I have magic involved in a story healing is something that all magic users can do to a greater or lesser extent. It's usually associated with the nature of the magic, so for every story I've written that has magic there are variations. The question about the creed makes me realise that one thing I've never actually had is a group of people who are entirely dedicated to healing. Maybe that will creep into AugNo now.

"When the path seems well-lit, kill the lights and wander into darkness."
- Chuck Wendig
NaNoPlotMo | Arrow of Eloquence
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-29-2011 at 04:22 AM

:)Thanks for answering.

Actually, <laugh>, I didn't really mean for every one of those questions to be answered, it was more a guideline to what I was asking overall. :D

Thanks for elaborating. I think that's a wonderful idea to be able to have everybody able to use healing magic. <Files away theory for later contemplation.> I tend to write healers in as an organization, if I write them in at all, come to think of it. (Though I did write one where the healers were not really an organization, and though respected, were also feared and often avoided, because they are all more or less creepy egoists who tend to conduct experiments on people solely out of their own interest and are generally very self-centered.)

I'd be interested to know if it really does creep into your AugNo. I think its great how writers can influence each other's writing just by exchanging ideas and views.;)
EilonwyG
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-29-2011 at 10:21 AM

In my story, I have a healer and that is what she is often referred to as - Healer. Occasionally medicine woman or herbalist. She has very very limited healing magic so mostly she uses herbal remedies. She's somewhere between gruff and soft and is a bit of a gossip, although I doubt she'd admit that (not exactly doing the doctor/patient confidenciality thing). Not all healers are like her, though. There are more powerful healers as well, and there is one spoken of in my story that can even heal a woman's inability to have children. This man was referred to as a miracle worker.
Nightsong
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Meh (Should be writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Synth Spells

[*] posted on 7-29-2011 at 01:32 PM

Healers are pretty common in my writing, of some variety or another. They're almost always different, but just about all of my novels have some form of healer, generally because I use them to cheat.

Because I write fantasy, if I were true to medieval medicine than any war or battle would become near impossible to write accurately, since if my hero got the lightest cut he'd be out for weeks from infection, or something similar (not even being accurate in my explanations, peh). So I use healers as a way to keep the story moving, and to keep necessary characters alive but still IN active conflict.

They're not always organized (though sometimes...) and while they are generally respected, at least one healer character gets ostracized as a "witch". The community keeps her close, because they know half of them would be dead without her, but they don't... Well, I was going to say they don't like her, but that's not true. They don't trust her, I guess? Admittedly, they have reason for that, but most of the town doesn't actually remember the reason.

JulNo '12 - Synth Spells

I'm great at managing my time, I just don't have enough of it.
-Anwyn
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 05:15 AM

Wonderful! Thank you for your answers. :D
sarahlea
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Tangled Origins

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 11:10 AM

I'm working on my first "real" novel, so don't have too much experience before this. But I'll answer your questions based on the current novel.

How do you do healers in fiction? The MC is the combination of two ancient groups of people. One group has more psychic kinds of abilities (visions) and the other group can heal. So she can do all of it. The healing is more of an energy healing kind of thing, loosely based off of the energy healings that are currently out there. It's not magic...but more a gift that most people have forgotten or have lost the ability to do.
Do you call them healers, or doctors, or something else? Healers, but many of them become doctors or something in the healthcare field. My story is mainly set in present day, so they basically take their special abilities and use them in the best way possible for the current times.
Do you do them all sweet and light? No...
Or are they all gruff and tough? ...and no. ;) The MC is fairly kind, but she has a nasty temper. Overall the Healers tend to be warmer than the other group, but each person isn't the same. Some are sweet, some are tough, some are downright mean but justify it with their own reasons.
Do you have certain creeda they follow? Kind of...there's a Council that is supposed to oversee both groups, so they sort of have to follow the rules set forth. Main rules are that they are careful who they disclose their abilities too, and that the two groups are supposed to stay apart (or else people like my MC could result, and they don't like that).
Are they respected or despised? Sort of both. Throughout history they've been both, but mainly feared. Even while respected they're feared a bit. That's why they keep their abilities mostly secret. Other people don't understand and fear them, so they often want to control them.
Do you do all your healers in all your stories the same? Like I said, this is my first novel. But I'm thinking this is the first in a series. So the healers will be all the same if I continue the series. If I don't, then we'll see. ;)

β€œAn artist is someone who can hold two opposing viewpoints and still remain fully functional.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald

JulNoWriMo '11
My first WriMo!
Lineage (in editing stages) - ended up about 92K words

JulNoWriMo '12
Tangled Origins - book 2 in the series
5,320 words

Also working on:
Fading Violet - book 4 in series
2,379 words

Untitled - historical romance story
2,560 words

Total of 10,108 words in July so far...

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]