JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the difference between love and hate!
marielaurent222334
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Tired
JulNoWriMo Title: A Seduction By The Book

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-25-2011 at 08:08 PM
What's the difference between love and hate!

I am not sure about the difference between love or love/hate relationships in novels i am writing one of my novels. I cannot tell rather the MFC and MMC will be at love or a love/hate relationship between each other.

Considering it is one of the novels i am writing that is a teen novel that has angst, tragedy, romance, drama, and other genres. But i am not sure how the love or love/hate relationship will go between the MFC and MMC characters in my novel.

I am thinking with writing it that is is becoming more hate and less love between them does anyone have ideas for me about it. Also if anyone else is dealing with this problem in their novels please tell me because i am curious to know about it as well.

Proud Ink-Slinger

http://augnowriye.proboards.com/index.cgi
http://lilysfiction.blogspot.com/
"I wonder who the woman is i bumped into with my friends will i ever feel or tell my feelings to myself for my sort of love i am developing for her!" - AnnaLisa Altree from A Meeting Between Lovers.
Writing More and More, edit more and more, edit, plan more and more, rewrite, write, plan, edit some more, all within 31 days and 24 hours of July.
I'm Pro-Wrimo :) Are you?
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-26-2011 at 06:01 AM

Knowing some teens, I'd have to say the confusion is entirely understandable. One moment: I LOOOVE you! Next moment: Oh, he/she offended/betrayed me. <nasty backbiting follows for weeks>.

One thing to think about : Real love puts the other person first, but doesn't make itself a martyr, it takes care of itself, too.
That, however, is tied up somewhat in self-image, and also in self-honesty.

However, there ARE couples who really love each other and really love to fight.
And if you think about it, the extreme opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. *"You're going to kill yourself?" Shrugs. "Okay." Goes back to video game/whatever.*

I don't know your characters, so I can't say. But if you think hate is their fate, that's okay. HOWEVER, if it bothers you, then put in events/people that act as a sort of intervention and get them to shape up. People are super complicated, so there is no reason to let your characters dictate to you. If you want them to have more depth, well....push them off that cliff and make them learn to swim.

Hmmn...My own stories? Sometimes it gets a bit confusing like that, but usually I hit a point where my characters make it real clear to me as I spin a plot point, what they really think. I like happy endings, or at least not tragedies, so I'm not very good at writing hate plots, actually. If some of my characters end up uneasy in a bad way, I keep their options open rather than force them to willingly love someone who they'll end up hating, many times.
Of course I do all kinds of other terrible things to my characters...but I just think that's fun. ....(Maybe that's why I'm a writer? LOL.)
marielaurent222334
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-26-2011 at 09:05 AM

Well now since i wrote more of it my characters have moved beyond hate. And towards a little bit of love mixed with other emotions that are confused about their feelings. Somewhat in knowing what to do about telling their feelings for each other.

Now without having hate between them that could at least break their friendship and soon to be love apart. Does that make sense too because i am not sure if it does though i am leading towards love though which is another step past hate.

Proud Ink-Slinger

"I wonder who the woman is i bumped into with my friends will i ever feel or tell my feelings to myself for my sort of love i am developing for her!" - AnnaLisa Altree from A Meeting Between Lovers.
Writing More and More, edit more and more, edit, plan more and more, rewrite, write, plan, edit some more, all within 31 days and 24 hours of July.
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-26-2011 at 10:07 PM

Makes sense to me.
Remember, people are complicated. Even if they make no sense to outsiders, and little sense to themselves, they still have their own ways of doing things.
And really, what are characters based on? Our own observations of human behavior from various sources, and our projections of how they'd react in a given situation.
Its like that police saying: Ask a 50 witnesses what a suspect looked like, and you'll get 50 different descriptions.
People and characters view their world/events/the actions of others through their own experiences. Some people get straight to the point in their love lives, others beat around the bush, and still others go up the mountain, through the valley, over the river, down the long hill, and past the swamp to get where they are meant to go. Some make it, some don't.
Glad to see your characters seem to be making it. :D
marielaurent222334
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-27-2011 at 03:41 PM

Thanks for the compliment Foodmoon

Proud Ink-Slinger

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]