Author: Subject: [Romance] I don't like where I'm at
Dougless Riley
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: When Fools Collide

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 09:10 AM
I don't like where I'm at

I'm writing a contemporary romance and everything has been going really well, too well I guess. I'm stuck in a chapter that I don't like needing to transition and unable. I know we are not supposed to be editing but I can't figure out how my heroine/hero get from where they are to where they need to be and this is day 4 of being stuck!
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

Mood: Insane :)
JulNoWriMo Title: The Silver Cliffs

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 09:18 AM

You have 30 minutes to figure it out and post back here ;). Nothing like some pressure to get the creative juices flowing.

Although if you seriously need some help a couple of details about where the characters are and where they're trying to get would be handy...

"When the path seems well-lit, kill the lights and wander into darkness."
- Chuck Wendig
NaNoPlotMo | Arrow of Eloquence
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 09:28 PM

Well,
1. Who said you can't edit?If you're stuck because you NEED to edit, well, just edit. I do it all the time.

2. If you want to stick to the no editing because you're worried about word count, etc., then write yourself a big note: ADD CONNECTIVE SCENE HERE. or REWRITE THIS SCENE/CHAPTER. Then skip the stuck part and move on. Sometimes one needs to get further into the story before one can have an "aha!" moment and go back and add that connective scene or rewrite a portion you hated.

3. If you need ideas, come to one of the live chats, such as the julnowrimo chat or nanowrimo chat and ask the bot for twists or prompts, or beg help from the other writers on there. You'll find writers of every genre on there, asking questions, trading ideas, and generally cheering each other on.
3.a. If you want ideas, but don't want to venture into chat, then post the bit you're stuck on in this thread, and we'll do our best to give you ideas and suggestions.

4. One idea besides these is to not get stuck on the FACT that you are stuck, think of it instead, as taking the time to brew up your next kettle of inspiration. Sit back, relax, do something that relaxes you or shakes out the stress, then play silly "what if?" games to throw into your pot of inspiration. Writing is supposed to be fun, not a chore. And when writing, silly does not equal dumb: "When is a dumb question not dumb? When it gives you the answer you need."

Good luck. ;)
Dougless Riley
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: When Fools Collide

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 09:30 PM
Back on track

Thanks for the awesome advice, lol. I got busy at work and didn't have a chance to come back here let alone get any writing done. :angry:

I did get past my problem! I'd made the mistake of writing a future scene that appealed to me and forcing my characters into situations that would get me to that future scene. Once I realized what my problem was I'd gotten a flurry of writing done that I enjoyed immensely. :D

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]