JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Realistic Fiction] Locations, locations
BelltdieKatze
JulNo Member

Mood: Kind of happy... but not quite.
JulNoWriMo Title: Just One Year(working title)

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 09:25 AM
Locations, locations

I wanted to know:

Where have you set your novel? Somewhere close to where you live/have lived or further away?

They say, 'write what you know', but is it really necessary, and if not, how much research might one be expected to do?

My novel is set in Japan, a place I've obsessed about for a long time. I've been there to verify my observations, so hopefully that's enough for me to write on.

Fantasy writers have it easy in that respect--they don't need to keep checking whether their world sounds realistic or not!

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. "
-Oscar Wilde
Write or Die! :)
Wingman
JulNo Royalty

Mood: "Don't say its a fine morning or i'll shoot ya"-John Wayne
JulNoWriMo Title: The Conspiracy

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 09:37 AM

Lets see very few of my novels are based close to home my NaNo was based in Wales, my JulNo was based in Germany and various other parts of Europe, this years JulNo was based in New York the one place i've been to so far. I have a sub story written in my home town but that's not something i need to get into

"Talk low Talk slow and don't say too much"-John Wayne

What ever you do don't forget to save Save
SAVE! AND I MEAN IT

Writers Creatures of the night
Ender Delphiki
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: No one believes in the future.

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 09:42 AM

My current is based in the Washington DC area as well as Boulder County. The latter is where I live right now. I've lived in 8 different states during 10 different moves, so I know the many parts of this country well enough to write about basically anywhere (except Alaska...) in this country. My NaNo was located in Colorado Springs, a little south from where I live, and ended up heading all the way to Dallas, Texas. A non-wrimo story I've written begins in the mountains of the United States. Another one in a place somewhere in the northern part of the country that's fictional but completely reasonable to suppose its existance.

In short, I write in the United States, since that's what I know. But, I know of pretty much all of the areas in the country well enough to write about them. I suggest actually visiting a place you plan on writing about.

I may be a pawn, but I'm on the seventh row.
Adagio Beckett
JulNo Member

Mood: Tired
JulNoWriMo Title: Hearts On Stage

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 02:39 AM

My novel is based in London, England and though I've only visited once I tend to keep the novel in the places I visited. Actually, I kept a very nice journal while I was there and even pull from it when I want to get a feeling about a place across. It's been very useful for me especially when I want to explain some quirky things about my character's personality.

For instance, Adagio catches a pigeon which leads to her meeting Dorian. I happen to own chickens, so talking about birds is not too hard for me, but while in London I learned that the pigeons there are FEARLESS. They rarely fly away from anything haha.

So, yes, I think it is best to write about things you know, or if you don't know that much about it talk to someone who lives there.

Rather Be Sledding
JulNo Writer

Mood: Slightly crispy with a gooey center
JulNoWriMo Title: Cubicle Commandos

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 07:13 PM

So far I've been pretty generic in my fiction, as I'm not sure where I really want to base mine, so far there really hasn't been any location besides an apartment and the corporate offices. Really, there isn't much happening out in the outside world for my characters to take note of yet.

But, I'm only 3 chapters in, so...

JulNo08: The Dreaming Dragon (working title)
JulNo10: Really going to finish The Dreaming Dragon (still working title)
JulNo11: Cubicle Commandos
JulNo12: Unknown
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/803796/the_typewriter_song/
Melange
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Shukugawa Monogatari

Word Count: 50414 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 09:35 AM

Salt Cliff, my JulNo story, is set in a village near Dover, UK. Before I started writing, I did a bit of research about the general area, how the landscape looks like and what the white cliffs are like because they play a somewhat important role, so I feel I'm at least a little bit prepared. I'll have to do more research during the editing process though (trees, wild animals etc.).

I never did much research before, so my earliest (longer) story is set in Tokyo, there's one where the MCs switch places and I guess they're traveling around Germany or something like that, and then there's one set in ... I don't know. Probably Germany or Austria, somewhere with a lot of fields and nature. (Seems I tend to forget to name the places I write about.)

Always keep the faith.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]