wrampage
JulNo Member

Mood: Meh! ... GET TO WORK.... meh!
JulNoWriMo Title: Violet(rewrite) and Chronicles of sin BOOK 2

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 12:03 AM
So angry I don't even want to write anymore

Do you ever have moments where you do something really stupid and F* up your word count?

I'm so angry I don't even want to write anymore. I just finished a 1000 word scene and then accidentally replaced it with the c key when I tried to copy it. Better yet the program I was using doesn't allow for undo. So it was all lost.

I don't know about the rest of you but I hate writing a scene and then having to rewrite it from scratch because it is never EVER as good as the first time I wrote.

I probably won't even get 500 words out of it now.

I feel like throwing my computer right now I'm so done.

Sorry if this post is not in the write place or bugging someone or whatever I just need to vent... And beat the $H!t out of something.

Better luck to everyone else.
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 02:45 AM

Well, not really. Since I write on paper. But sometimes I have to throw out pages and pages of story gone wrong, so I understand the frustration.

<Sets up a punching bag quietly, and points wrampage helpfully in its direction: "There, something to beat the...whatever out of.">

Hope you recover soon. :-/
brie09
JulNo Member

Word Count: 4383 / 50000
Word Count Start9% Complete91% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 10:39 AM

I hate it when that happens. A few times last summer, I managed to somehow close out Word and not save what I had written because I was talking to someone and hit the wrong button. Even worse, I didn't update my software for a few months, so during finals at school this year, every time I hit the spell check for a paper I was writing, Word crashed, which would take away whole paragraphs that I had just written (and I'm a major procrastinator so this was when I only had a few hours left until it had to be turned in AND I absolutely had to keep writing...I didn't even have time to beat the anything out of anything).

I don't know if you're really looking for advice or if you just want to rant (completely understandable), but when I do it when I'm writing, I usually just walk away from the scene for a few days and then come back to it. It tends to make it easier to rewrite and I'm usually more satisfied with the rewrite than I would have been if I tried to do it right away.

Good luck! It's going to be okay. We all have moments like that.
wrampage
JulNo Member

Mood: Meh! ... GET TO WORK.... meh!
JulNoWriMo Title: Violet(rewrite) and Chronicles of sin BOOK 2

smiley04.gif posted on 7-10-2011 at 12:33 PM

Thanks guys. I mostly just needed the rant. I wound up redoing the scene last night and I'm not very happy with it but the word count was almost the same so whatever, I'm just going to keep plugging along today. And be really careful. Heres hoping nothing stupid happens again today
Ender Delphiki
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: No one believes in the future.

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 12:43 PM

If your program doesn't allow for undo, you are not on a program for writing stories. Open Office and Google Docs are free and many writers including myself use one or the other (or both). Macs also have the Time Machine to be able to undo mistakes that have been saved over.

I know the frustration as I've lost whole novels to lack of back-ups on multiple occasions. So my advice is, write in the .DOC or .TXT formats, as they are universal formats and thus are very compatible and great for backing up you files. If you want you can set up NotePad++ (free) to synchronize multiple copies at once. With an infinite undo/redo feature, you won't face problems you have now. Also, there's a set of options that allow you to synchronize the original file with one in a different location, which provides back-ups.

Another thing is that this can be a plot twist- instead of following the original plan and rewriting, you can turn the story a different direction to keep the scene original.

I may be a pawn, but I'm on the seventh row.
moonmanmad
JulNo Writer

Mood: tired
JulNoWriMo Title: On The Yellow Brick Road

[*] posted on 7-11-2011 at 03:41 AM

I've been in similar situations. Once I had a computer crash and lost an entire novel. It sucks. And writing sucks. Unfortunately, I'm a writer, so I got nothing else. :-/

Annymosa
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-29-2011 at 12:28 AM

Reminds me of Hemingway who got his manuscript chewed up by his dog. He later dedicated the book to him, for "editing chapter 27" and making it better. Other authors have too experienced losing pieces of writing, even whole manuscripts or collections of them - single copies, never published. Of course a writer would sit down and cry bitterly, but in the end, it helps us write better. :) The more times you rewrite it, the better it can become. I'm glad you didn't give up. Keep on going and don't lose the spirit! :D

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]